'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
mid tack vs no mid tack

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-10 4:15 PM
14 replies, 3641 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 10:29 AM (#46281)
Subject: mid tack vs no mid tack

Elite Veteran

I am looking at two almost identical living quarters trailers.  One has a pass through from the bathroom to the mid-tack but not from mid-tack to horse area, the other has a pass through from the bathroom to the first horse stall, a stud wall, and escape door.  Both also have collapsible rear tack.

I really like the idea of having a mid tack in addition to the rear tack, as I have been using my first stall currently with a stud divider as a sort of mid tack.  But will I be sorry to not have a second pass thru door from the mid tack to the horse area?

Pro and cons each way would be appreciated.  Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 11:04 AM (#46284 - in reply to #46281)
Subject: RE: mid tack vs no mid tack

Extreme Veteran

I love the idea of a mid-tack. I don't have one. I would think that since you would have the mid tack that you would not need the door from the mid tack to stall area. I can't think of a trailer off hand that I've seen with a door from the mid tack to stall area. Seems like it would just take up room in the tack area.

I vote for the mid tack. :-)

-Betty

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-09 11:26 AM (#46286 - in reply to #46281)

Elite Veteran

I have a Trails West 3 horse LQ with angled mid tack. It has a door from the bathroom to mid tack and another to the horse area.There is a door on each side of the mid tack for acess from outside.

It has 2 water tanks 1 in each side I think they are around 25 gallons each.

I put a clothes bar in there for hanging extra clothes and jackets etc.You can leave your boots in there if the weather is bad and wear slippers in the LQ area.

I also installed extra holding organizers.There is a lot of room in there!

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-08-09 12:30 PM (#46294 - in reply to #46281)

Expert

I have a Exiss with a midtack. There is a pass through door from LQ to midtack but not from MT to horse area which is fine since I don't need to go there from the LQ/MT.And by not going from the horse area, no need to worry about tracking in shavings or horse crap. Leave that area for the horses. I love love love the midtack. I nice place to put your clothes,change,porta potty...whatever. I bought my trailer not looking for a midtack and now I'd be hard pressed to buy one without it. It adds alotd of space that is useable. I'd say go for the midtack...you can never have too much space.

Edited by farmbabe 2006-08-09 12:32 PM
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-09 2:00 PM (#46302 - in reply to #46281)

Expert

Absolutely a mid tack!! And the larger the better!! I have a 3' mid that has a door to the LQ, not the stalls. I prefer this because I use my 1st stall as major storeage, i.e. manure cart, hay, grain, chairs, trunk, bike. I use the bulkhead wall on the mid tack side for bridle hooks. I also keep my saddles in the mid tack so I have easy access to them. There is a clothes closet on the short wall of the mid tack. I have a shelf in my rear tack and use that area just for smaller storeage things. I use my mid tack as a mud room to keep my LQ clean. I would never get an LQ trailer without one!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-08-09 2:46 PM (#46303 - in reply to #46281)

Expert

I use my mid-tack as a mud room. All my coats hang in there. Plastic storage tubs hold camping and fishing gear. Mostly people stuff.

I keep an scrap of carpet to put out under the awning in front of the door. I roll it up and haul it in the mid tack.My saddles, blankets are in the rear tack and my blankets, bridles, leads and breast straps are all under the managers,

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 6:29 PM (#46311 - in reply to #46281)

Veteran

Get the mid-tack. You can have a pass-through door installed.
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 7:09 PM (#46315 - in reply to #46281)

Veteran

Of all the things I wish my trailer had a mid tack is number 1.
I really wish I had one.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 8:03 PM (#46322 - in reply to #46281)

Expert

I can go in my midtack and either go into dressing room or into horses area, doors everywhere. Wish it was 10' long instead of 7' long.
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 10:40 PM (#46326 - in reply to #46281)

Veteran

The mid tack idea at our house has allways came up the same,I want one but don't have it yet! We have a foldable rear tack in our trailer but don't like to use it for different reasons...........

The tack molds easily and then there's the issue of someone unfolding the tack room from the inside and making off with all our saddles and stuff......................Shur You can lock the back tack door but then there's the escape door and 3 windows for them to go thru.......Allways figured that if a thief were to get into the back of the trailer ,He or she could then just take thier time while being hid in the horse compartment....

My wife wants the pass thru door to the horse compartment but I don't for the same reasons as mentioned above...

The mid tack would solve both problems by giving us a (more)secure place to store our saddles and not have them mold so easily......

Just my thought s on the issue....Ardly

Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 10:50 PM (#46327 - in reply to #46281)

Veteran

The mid tack idea at our house has allways came up the same,I want one but don't have it yet! We have a foldable rear tack in our trailer but don't like to use it for different reasons...........

The tack molds easily and then there's the issue of someone unfolding the tack room from the inside and making off with all our saddles and stuff......................Shur You can lock the back tack door but then there's the escape door and 3 windows for them to go thru.......Allways figured that if a thief were to get into the back of the trailer ,He or she could then just take thier time while being hid in the horse compartment....

My wife wants the pass thru door to the horse compartment but I don't for the same reasons as mentioned above...

The mid tack would solve both problems by giving us a (more)secure place to store our saddles and not have them mold so easily......

Just my thought s on the issue....Ardly

Edited to ask: Has anyone else with the pass thru door or rear tack ever considered these issues...Just seems to me that if  You give a thief a place to hide while taking your things it just makes it that much easier for them to do so..I know that this in itself won't stop them if they really want to break in but practically every piece of tack We own stays in our trailer and i want it to be as difficult for them as possible!

Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 11:05 PM (#46331 - in reply to #46281)

Extreme Veteran

My next trailer WILL have a mid-tack!
And a small/narrow pass-thru door to the LQ for those rainy and muddy days.
pepperz
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-10 12:44 AM (#46337 - in reply to #46281)

New User

Would not own a trailer without a midtack, yes the concept of mudroom is exactly right. Had friend who's rear tack lost the rubber sealer around the rear tack door, she didn't notice and her saddles and other tack got soaked driving down the highway in the pouring rain.

My midtack has all the expensive items in it.  I have the pass thru from LQ to midtack. No need for the one into the horses.

Midtack the only way to go. I am looking for a new 4 horse with one, wow it is hard to find exactly what I am looking for. Until I find one my midtack is staying with me.

Pepperz

clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-08-10 10:07 AM (#46340 - in reply to #46281)

Regular

I LOVE my midtack. I too have a Trails West, 2 horse with 5x10 LQ, 4 ft full mid tack, pass thru from LQ to mid tack and from mid tack to horse area (I do use this feature, I store my generator in there when not in use). I have a rear tack, where I store all my tack. I have one external door on the curb side to the mid tack. I had the saddle racks modified in the rear tack, so I can put the saddles up very high during travel (allows me to store buckets ect under the saddles). When we arrive at camp, I move the saddles to the lowest position for easy use in camp. All of my doors, interior and exterior are lockable. The drop down on both horses have locks and bus windows open from the inside. If I am concerned about thieft, I can lock everything. Most of the time we don't worry about thieft, we rarely camp in extreme remote areas, and county/state/federal horse camps seem safe. It is nice to have the option to lock everything if needed. This is the first LQ trailer I've had, but I don't think I'll buy another one without a mid tack. Go for the mid tack and as someone else mentioned, you can have the pass door added. (My sister had one added to her Kiefer built for around $300)C
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-10 4:15 PM (#46361 - in reply to #46281)

Elite Veteran

You guys sure made it easy.  Made an offer on the mid-tack model and will go pick it up next week.  Now to get current trailer sold......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)