'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Paint advice...long post. lots of q's

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-13 9:37 AM
14 replies, 28481 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-01-05 1:26 PM (#128576)
Subject: Trailer Paint advice...long post. lots of q's

Extreme Veteran

I have my old LQ trailer that is currently painted with Oliver Green tractor paint sold at TSC (by previous owner). My online name is Green Machine..that's what everyone calls our trailer (Daze is shortened from Daisy my horse). Anyway, Yucky color, I must say. A guy told us that his horse was scared of it and wouldn't walk past our trailer because of the color. ha. 

Wife and I are going to be upgrading the paint this year along with several other things (roof a/c, full bathroom and tanks, etc.). A little info on the trailer: All Steel, 28 ft box GN.

For the roof, we will be going with a white reflective elastomeric paint and matching primer as suggested on here. Afterall, the trailer is all steel and is like being in an oven when the sun hits it. Hope this will help cool it and seal it (it doesn't leak now, but the extra protection helps).

For the sides, she wants to go with a burgundy, I don't care. My initial thought was a tan. I just don't want it to look like a goofy submarine. I'm really not sure what kind of paint to use. Could I use an exterior paint for metal? We painted our barn in this type of paint and it has held up well. Would I need to clear coat it?

I guess I could put polka dots on it and call it a caterpillar?

How do I prep it? The current paint is only about 3 years old, but it is flaking off in many places already. Sand/media blast it? sand it? I'm really clueless...

What kind of primer would be good to stop/prohibit rust?

If I decide to paint "high traffic" areas and under the neck-over with bed liner, can it be painted over?

Please keep in mind this trailer is ginormous (to me) and any work will take forever. Budget is limited (~500-600 tops).

Thanks so much!

trying to attach photo..

Edited by GRNMCHNEDAZE 2011-01-05 1:28 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-01-05 1:48 PM (#128578 - in reply to #128576)
Subject: RE: Trailer Paint advice...long post. lots of q's

Extreme Veteran

Hopefully this attachment will work..
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2011-01-05 2:06 PM (#128580 - in reply to #128576)

Extreme Veteran

The darker you go the hotter it will be so I would opt for white and definately not burgundy. Although a red will show rust less. There really isn't any magical thing that will stop rust. I would go to your local auto body paint supply store and they should be able to point you in the right direction
ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-01-05 4:56 PM (#128593 - in reply to #128576)

Regular

silly newbie question here, but since cars are all steel doesnt it make sense to paint a horse trailer like a car? good clean grippy surface, primer baked on, then good quality car enamel paint, baked on?

a car doesnt rust just sitting there, and the paint doesnt flake off normally (as long as you treat any dings). seems like a properly painted steel trailer would be at least as long lasting as a properly painted car?

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2011-01-05 8:41 PM (#128603 - in reply to #128593)

Extreme Veteran

It is the same paint as a car but they now use urethane instead of enamel. Cars do not rust like trailers do. I am guessing they are different types of metals to last longer. Just like galvaneal last longer than regular steel. I have seen new Bison's rusted on the dealers lot. Could you imagine if you bought a new car if it had rust on it?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-01-06 9:52 AM (#128620 - in reply to #128576)

Expert

Painting a steel trailer is an involved process, if you want a quality product that will look attractive and be long lasting. You have to decide what your goals will include. Do you plan on keeping the trailer for any length of time? Do your concerns include an overall quality appearance? Is your trailer suffering from rust issues? Do you want a 20 footer or a trailer that will look new?

The least involved way, money and time wise, is to buy enamel paint at TSC, scrape off the loose paint and perform a quick roller derby application. It will look reasonably good from 20 feet, and in three years or less, you will have the same paint peeling and rust problems you have now.

The best and longest lasting application is to strip the paint, apply the necessary primers, and spray on a quality automotive paint.

Your present budget will be inadequate. For instance, the elastomeric coating for the roof costs ~$100 for a five gal bucket. You will need at least three of them for the recommended two coats. If you decide on automotive paint products, they will cost in excess of $1000. You will need additional materials, thinners, hardners, tapes and masking materials. You will need a good sander and many sanding items.

To properly prepare the surface, all of the present improperly applied paint should be removed. This will involve chemical strippers or media blasting. Several years ago, I had our 18' stock trailer media cleaned inside and out, at a cost of $950. The surface will then have to be immediately treated with a rust converter. ( I use Ospho) Then an acid etched, high build primer is applied, followed with urethane paint.

Light colours are the best for trailers if you have the need to reduce heat. Dark colours, especially red are more prone to UV damage, and are the quickest to fade and show wear. It would be better to trim the trailer with darker stripes or a two tone application, and leave the main areas a lighter shade.

Bed liner materials are very durable. However, you cannot paint over them and expect proper paint adhesion. The two part, hot applied commercial applications, are available in most colours to match the big three automotive offerings.

Properly painting a steel trailer is an involved process, and expensive. The total cost of a restoration, inside and out of an 18' stock combo was ~$3000. This was with me spending two weeks of full time labour, and only paying a body shop to apply the final paint coats inside of his shop. If he had done all the work, the costs would have doubled.

One thing you should consider before you repaint: Each outside vertical wall stud should be caulked on both sides, top to bottom. This will prevent water from entering and rusting the seams. The same holds true for the fender to wall joints, etc etc. Use a paintable caulking, preferably a marine grade polyurethane.

Most older steel trailers have little in common with the present automotive industry. They were built using mild steel stock, and many were not even primed before the final paint was applied. Indeed, many trailers were rusting on the lots before they were sold.

Today there are many steel applications, galvanneal, galvalume, alclad and other proprietary names offering steel parts that resist rusting. These are commonly used in the construction of modern automobiles, and have reduced some rusting issues. It was uncommon to have these materials included in the fabrication of older steel trailers. They are now featured by some of the steel trailer manufacturers. The new two and single part automotive paints, far exceed the older enamels in durability, colour retention and chemical resistance.

BOL  Gard

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-01-06 12:51 PM (#128624 - in reply to #128576)

Extreme Veteran

Gard, Thank you for the in depth reply. Obviously, I want the trailer to look better than green and stay cooler than it is now. A 20 footer would suffice for me. Seeing as I only paid a whopping 2k for the trailer, I just couldn't justify 3k+ in exterior refinishing. This trailer serves as our camper that gets used about 10-12 times a year. I am proud to say we have just as much fun and go everywhere that all of our friends do at 1/10 the cost, albeit a little more ugly.

Fortunately, the rust for the most part has been removed and repatched with welded panels, then smoothed with body filler, and painted. The paint that is chipping off is mostly in high traffic areas (entry to the camper and where water drips onto the step up). That tractor paint is some tough stuff, but can't handle being walked on constantly.

My wife and I do plan on keeping the trailer (we actually really like it and its paid off). I have no interest in going 20k in debt for something we use an average of 1 time a month to look prettier going down the road.

The elastomeric paint is my main priority. If the budget is used up with it, than it's used up. We'll camp with a green and white trailer. I just thought that for maybe a couple hundred bucks more, we could have an "easier on the eyes" color sprayed on. I have a nice industrial sprayer, compressor, sand blaster, and time, just not much know how when it comes to this process.

The nearest place that does body color bed liner to me is Indianapolis. I'm 40 miles east of Cincinnati. (checked for my truck)...I'll live with the black. It can be "accents."

Thanks for the advice and the time you took to share!

Alex

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-01-06 3:07 PM (#128632 - in reply to #128576)

Expert

If the roof isn't leaking and isn't rusted, purchase a couple of gallons of white TSC paint, some thinner and hardner and spray two coats onto your trailer's roof. It will offer greater reflectivity than the elastomeric coating, will be easier to apply, and will save a significant amount of money.

You should first sand the old paint, spot priming and using a rust converter wherever you have bare metal.

wheelordieguy
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2011-01-06 5:21 PM (#128633 - in reply to #128576)

wire wheel it down and paint it with rustolem paint, brush it or roller it, its self leveling and looks great, is cheap too.. can paint over rust if your wire wheel that rust down first. glossy also and several colors at walmart.

guys are painting their cars with this stuff its so good.. search the internet for 50$ paint job, or roll my car..

thats how im gonna do mine anyhow, you can thin it and spray it if you like also.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-01-07 9:24 AM (#128650 - in reply to #128576)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the info. That's interesting. I was under the impression that the elastomeric paint was high(est) reflectivity. I learn something new every day! The roof does not leak. Will it have to be thinned a lot? I don't have any experience spraying the TSC enamel, but have done houses, our barn, etc and never had to thin it.

As for the rustoleum paint...something to look into.

When you say wire wheel it? I think something about 3" wide on the end of an air tool or drill...I do not want to do a 36ft (overall length) trailer in 3" rows. Is there something that will fit on a buffer/polisher that will yield a similar result?

Thanks everyone!!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-01-07 10:02 AM (#128652 - in reply to #128576)

Expert

The need to thin paint is determined by the viscosity of the material you are shooting and the equipment you are using to apply it. An HVLP system shooting enamels, uses more thinners than a high pressure air set up. An HP airless system may use no thinners at all.

If you're running a pressure gun off a compresser at 35-50 PSI or so and shooting enamels, thin the material 10% to start. If it's not laying down and orange peeling, thin it another 5-10%. Most paint containers will advise what thinners to use, and the average amount of them with which to dilute the paint. You can also purchase viscosity cups that will accurately measure the paint's ability to drain through a given sized orifice. This will exactly determine the necessary amount of thinners you will need.

Using a wire wheel to provide a smooth painted surface to overcoat, is counter productive. You will end up with thousands of groves per inch, that will have to be filled before a smooth final surface can be obtained. It will also result in an unevenly removed paint thickness. that will effect the overall smoothness of the final coat. A wire brush should only be used in preparation, when you want to completely remove all the paint from a surface. This will be an impractical goal in your situation, because of the large surface area with which you are working.

If you have a right angle sander / polisher, you might consider using flap sanding wheels. They are available in 120 grit and will sand and smooth large areas rather quickly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-FLAP-WHEELS-DISCS-DISKS-GRINDING-SANDING-BOX-5-/120667894645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c185df375

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-01-07 10:30 AM (#128654 - in reply to #128576)

Extreme Veteran

Great. I'm learning a lot! I'm sure glad I asked here before deciding to jump into it on my own.

After some thought, I concluded the same about the wire wheel. Sanding makes infinitely more sense.

Thanks again.

Bluerose2001
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2011-01-12 12:00 AM (#128820 - in reply to #128576)
Subject: How my dad painted stuff

My dad worked for an auto body shop in the 80s and we have rebuilt everything I drove until my current truck. #1 sandblast, sand the major rust spots. Prime immediately! You can buy gray primer from auto zone. I believe it is just cut with paint thinner. You can put most any kind of paint over primer. You just need to prime every surface quickly to reduce the chance of moisture getting to the metal. The trailer can get wet after this. Its ok. Try to make sure you get a good solid coverage of primer. Paint- your choice. I think basic green paint from an auto store was around $300-400. Reducers are expensive! These thin the paint enough to spray. Stay about 10-14" from trailer when spraying from left to right in a continuous motion having slight overlap each time. Think several THIN coats instead of thick. I did do the door of my car and am quite proud! I did prime an entire camaro once I was good at that. Let dry for about 10 minutes and recoat if needed. Try to do one area at a time. Such as on a car I would do hood until that was done, then move on to fender. Let the paint cure and dry overnight in a dry location if possible. Don't pick a windy day, or a location that someone would drive up near and get dust all in your new paint. Bugs will fly too so spray some bug spray around door entries or hang traps. Nothing to be afraid of. Clearcoat is highly advised even if you don't want a thick coat. It takes a different reducer.
cowgirldi34
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2011-01-13 7:36 AM (#128860 - in reply to #128576)

Regular

I had my 3 horse stock/combo trailer repainted 10 years ago. Was red, had faded, some surface rust, etc. I had a local guy, who paints tractors, semi cabs, etc, do it for me. Sandblasted, 2 coats primer,2/ paint, then a clear coat, and I have to say, it is still in great shape. After all these years, very little surface rust here and there (just lately) but the trailer is a 1991! I would recommend you apply Rhino Liner (or other bedliner product) on the running boards, fenders and up under gooseneck/and front of trailer. We did this, and saved ours from rusting out. Well worth the $$. My trailer sets out in Iowa'a hot summers/nasty winters and is still shiny. Cost me a little money, but well worth having a pro do the job for me. Added years of use to my trailer. But go with a "lighter" color....did light gray, no fading and much cooler in summer.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-01-13 9:37 AM (#128863 - in reply to #128576)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks! I have really thought seriously about bedliner on the rails, fenders, and under the neck.

I have to be careful what color I go with because I'm afraid gray would make it look like a big submarine and tan would make it look like some kind of crazy desert storm attack vehicle. I'm afraid to go all white because I dont want the orangey looking rust dots to start showing through next spring and it be hard to keep clean as it sits under a big red oak most of the time. Although, if I go with all white plus the bedliner in the bad areas and add some chrome Eagle wheel covers, it may not turn out half bad. Food for thought...

I wonder if those vinyl graphics would be hard to intall...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)