'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help please: Circle J Legacy or Merhow Equilite

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-06 2:47 PM
13 replies, 8240 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

slidingirl
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-05-02 1:03 PM (#82986)
Subject: Help please: Circle J Legacy or Merhow Equilite

Hi everyone:
I posted earlier about my 2000 featherlite two horse bumperpull model with dressing room, that I could not get to tow properly. Well, after working with featherlite and my dealer, we could
not figure out the problem, so now I am in the market for a new trailer. I am opting for a three
horse gooseneck; preferably aluminum as I will likely keep the trailer a very long time.
I have a budget of about $15,000. I am looking at two trailers in this price range that both
seem pretty nice.
#1 2006 merhow equilite 3 horse goosneck. It has the steel frame and aluminum siding
and floor. I've read positive things about these trailers on this forum, but I have never seen one up close. The dealer is 6 hours away, so it is difficult for me to just run down and have a
look. I like the narrow nose, as I am driving a 2007 chevrolet 2500 HD with a regular bed and
worry about clearance. I have never owned a gooseneck, but all my friends tell me that for
a 3 horse I will appreciate the stability. This is a link to the merhow found on this site
http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=136481
#2 2007 Circle J Legacy. I have owned two circle J trailers and they always pulled well
and held up well for me. I don't know if the Legacy is all aluminum or steel/aluminum. It is
similarly equipped as the Merhow and $1,000 less. I am wondering if the Merhow will hold
its value better than the Circle J? Here is the link: http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=93029

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Amber

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-02 1:56 PM (#82993 - in reply to #82986)
Subject: RE: Help please: Circle J Legacy or Merhow Equilite

Regular

hi amber,

i don't know anything about circle J.  do have a merhow very lite (3H with 6' LQ up front.)  got it to see if i liked having a LQ trailer.  (found out i love staying on the show grounds, but also found out i need something much bigger for my two daughters and myself!)

anyway, pulled the merhow to maybe 4 or 5 shows.  pulls wonderfully.  seriously didn't hardly know it was back there, and this was my first gooseneck.  the horse area is very, very horse friendly and safe. the horses seem very comfortable in it.   my ONLY complaint is that the little things that hold back the doors (the escape door and the LQ door) are made of some type of hard plastic, which doesn't hold when the wind really picks up. those can be switched out with the metal ones...just haven't gotten around to it.  otherwise, the merhow is a really nice trailer.  i am not sure how well it would hold up if you were to haul it up and down really rough roads but otherwise, i think it would last you a long time and that you would be happy with it.  not sure about resale value as i have not gotten around to trying to sell mine yet.  good luck.

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-02 2:13 PM (#82994 - in reply to #82986)

Veteran

I owned a 2h BP Merhow EquiStar once (alum/steel/wood), for about a year.  LOVED it, only sold it b/c I got married and had to get rid of the payment.  I sold it for very close to what I paid!  Towed great, and the features were very well designed.
figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-02 2:53 PM (#83001 - in reply to #82993)

Regular

I don't have any knowledge of the Circle J trailer.  Merhow is a very nice trailer line.  I have known a bunch of people that have owned Merhows. And, I can't think of any of them that had any issues with their trailers.  They all said they pull like dreams and hold up better than most. My next trailer will be a Merhow.

Edited by figero 2008-05-02 2:54 PM
CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-05-02 7:17 PM (#83014 - in reply to #82986)

Veteran

I have a 06 Merhow Equilite 2 horse with 11 ft. living quarters.  It is fabulous.   I pull it with a Chevy HD 2500 short bed, does fine, no problem on sharp turns.   I had one small problem with a broken window latch, and a couple of living quarter conversion problems, but those were not the fault of Merhow.  Horse amenities are great-- huge windows, great airflow. 
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-05-02 9:13 PM (#83022 - in reply to #82986)

Veteran

Merhow, don't look back.
slidingirl
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-05-02 11:46 PM (#83031 - in reply to #82986)

Thanks for all your comments. I am really leaning towards the merhow.
I am going to try to go down and see the trailer Monday and hopefully come back with it in tow.
Now, I have to get a gooseneck hitch installed. Looking at the B&W turnover hitch. Is this a good
hitch. A friend said they could install it for me in about 3 hours.

Anyone have any comments on the circle J Legacy? I think I am pretty much sold on the Merhow, but I like to do my research. Thanks!
TERP
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-05-03 7:29 AM (#83035 - in reply to #82986)

I own a sundowner and my next trailer will be a Merhow. If you want to speak with someone who has a lot of knowledge about trailers you need to call Blain @ Merhow.
DrivinMeBuggy
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-05-03 4:29 PM (#83061 - in reply to #82986)

New User

Hi Amber,

It sounds like you have made your decision now but just to add to the Merhow vote; I picked up my new Merhow trailer last weekend and am amazed at how very well built and solid it feels and how well it tows. Mine is an 18' on the floor gooseneck Equilite, designed to take two horses and a carriage. The whole thing was custom built for me and yet still very affordable and Merhow and my dealer were all wonderful to work with. I'd be surprized if I ever go for another brand now that I've seen how tough these are.

Former Sundowner owner

figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-05 10:08 AM (#83170 - in reply to #83061)

Regular

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-05-05 10:21 AM (#83171 - in reply to #82986)

Elite Veteran

You can't go wrong with the B & W hitch. Pobably the best on the market. What were the issues with the Featherlite? I have never had any problems with my 4H GN with 6' weekender. Hope you find the trailer you want!
slidingirl
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-05-05 12:19 PM (#83183 - in reply to #82986)

My featherlite is a 2000 2 horse straight-load with dressing room. I purchased it last fall and when loaded with two horses the weight shifts to the rear of the trailer taking the weight off the ball and making it tow poorly with sway. In addition it slams up and down on hitch over bumps. I posted here about the problem. I tried everything, different hitch, added weight in front with sandbags, contacted dealer and featherlight, and the only solution we could come up with was toweld weight to the front of the trailer.

Featherlight had never heard of that problem and maybe my truck (2008 chevrolet silverado 2500 HD) and trailer combination with wind flow or something just doesn't work. Anyway, I need to get another trailer that is going to be safe. I have never had problems with featherlight trailers and this is my second one. They are nice trailers and I think I just had the bad luck of maybe getting a lemon. It can happen with any trailer manufacturer, so I am not out to bash featherlite as I believe they make a quality trailer and I would buy another one if I could find the right one in my price range.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-05-05 10:40 PM (#83227 - in reply to #82986)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the info. I must have missed your earlier post.Did you go look at the Merhow? If so, is it yours now?
Ms Sharon Kay
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-05-06 2:47 PM (#83299 - in reply to #82986)

Don't forget Merhow offers a very nice, comprehensive 8 year warranty! They cover everything made by the company! And...their warranty rate is less than 1/2 0f 1%! Yes, I believe Merhow is the way to go. As a matter of fact we checked out the product and company from head to toe and have now been a dealer for Merhow over two years and we're looking forward to many many more!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)