'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Seeking advice; time to buy tires for my truck....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-09 2:38 PM
13 replies, 4596 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-11-08 2:18 PM (#70710)
Subject: Seeking advice; time to buy tires for my truck....

Regular

Hello, all-

I am mostly a lurker, but have enjoyed the exchanges and info here for several years now, and need to ask for your 'collective' opinions.

It is about time to replace the tires on my truck, a '99 F-250 ext. cab SD 4X4, Powerstroke Diesel. It still has the tires I ordered it with, upgrades from orig. equipment-they are 265-75 R 16 load range E, Firestone Steeltex R4S. The truck, and these tires,only have just over 63,000 miles on it/them. Yes, I know! I am a 66 YO widow, it's my only vehicle, I haul horses, but esp. in the past three-four years, not so much. I bought this truck to last me close to FOREVER, and at this rate, it should, don't  you think?? I treat my truck like it's a family member--am very fond of 'her', and depend on her when I am out and about(which nowadays, with fuel(esp. diesel!!)prices headed for the stratosphere, and me on a fixed income, is not too often....

Anyhoo--I read somewhere on the internet recently of a Bridgestone that came well-recommended? I WANT a good tire; I am the kind who will do without something less important to have something of QUALITY, where quality is important--and I take VERY good care of ALL of my possessions, so these tires might last me through the time I'd even need a fullsized truck....that said, I do have to consider cost!!

So, what are your recommendations,can you say about what price they are, and why?? ? All thoughtful input appreciated, folks!!

Thanks in advance,

Margo(oldhossgal) in NM

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-11-08 2:47 PM (#70711 - in reply to #70710)
Subject: RE: Seeking advice; time to buy tires for my truck....

Expert

Michelin LTX-M/S..............Enough said!
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-08 3:18 PM (#70715 - in reply to #70710)

Veteran

I will agree with retento.  I've got 'em on my Dodge - 50k miles and lotsa tread left.  My only complaint is that they are not the best for snow, but I doubt you have those problems in NM.

Happy shopping.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-08 3:18 PM (#70716 - in reply to #70710)

Expert

Do not purchase another set of Firestone Steelex LT tires or anything made by Carlisle

BOL  Gard

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-11-08 3:36 PM (#70718 - in reply to #70710)

Extreme Veteran

I have a truck quite similar to yours that I've always put Cooper tires on, never had any problems with them and they have been good for 50k+ miles. They probably aren't quite as good as Michelin but they are quite a bit cheaper the last time I checked.
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-11-08 5:15 PM (#70723 - in reply to #70710)

Veteran

Another nod for the Michelin LTX line. Rich
liteshodwalkers
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-08 7:23 PM (#70732 - in reply to #70710)

New User

If you managed to get 63K miles on the original tires, to me that's saying something.  My opinion, for whatever it's worth, is stick with Firestones. 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-09 3:36 AM (#70743 - in reply to #70710)

Expert

My Firestone blew up at 29k, almost killed my whole family. Firestone denied, denied, denied, did I say denied? any responsibility. It is now in the hands of a lawyer.

My father's Firestone had a thread separation. Same deal, denial

The new ownership by Bridgestone apparently hasn't changed the same powers to be who are in charge. They override the determination of their own dealers.

I now own a new set of Goodrich.

BOL  Gard

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-11-09 11:00 AM (#70765 - in reply to #70710)

Veteran

My vote would also be for Michelins. That said, I went with Dunlop Rover AT. My truck is a '99 Ford Diesel 4x4 supercab 350. The shop I selected offered an every 6,000 mile tire rotation and alignment check for the next 5 years for a reasonable up front fee. Unfortunately, this shop did not carry Michelins. This was important to me, since my last set of tires only lasted 44,000 miles due to my negligence in watching for cupping and other uneven wear!

Brenda

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-11-09 12:36 PM (#70773 - in reply to #70710)

Regular

Thanks, everyone, for the input so far--and I hope others will continue to 'weigh in' with their opinions--the more, the better!

Actually, where I live in NM, snow often IS an issue, hank--I am at 6600 ft. altitude, and we sometimes get some DOOZIES of snowstorms -and drifting, as this a a windy country! 

I have read about problems w/ the Firestone Steeltex and would not buy more-I had one ruined by a blowout on the rt. rear while on I-25 not far south of Albuq.-pulling an empty trailer, thank goodness! It appeared the sidewall was 'split'...put on the spare(again, ordered w/ the truck, same tire, just w/o the white outlines)- replaced the spare w/ a good used one-and that's the only issue I've had of that kind. However,even though I've had the tires rotated at the intervals recommended in the Owner's Manual, there was 'cupping'? along one edge when they were last done...what does this mean?

Even though mine is a relatively HD truck, it has had relatively "light" work-I had one fullsized horse, the rest, for a number of years, have been miniatures since I've had this truck. I pull a 14' X 5' CM steel stock combo; I can now put every horse I have in it at once(8 miniatures!) Now, some of you may be 'snorting' about now; but I HAVE been hauling horses since the early '60s, hauled according to my needs and what I was doing(timed eventer, before, during(NIRA), and after,college), showed, worked cattle in the 'real'world, trail riding, to name a few--I am a lifetime horse person, believe it!! I have taken National Top Tens with my now 'horses of choice', the miniatures, in several categories, always training my own, and enjoying the experience.these days, I am 'investigating' CDE(Combined Driving Event) competition....

But, I digress-my point is really that I know I don't 'use' my truck and trailer as "hard" as most of you, but I am every bit as interested in safety for me and the animals I am responsible for--which is why I am asking a bunch of folks w/ a bunch of experience in this very area for their advice and input!! 

Again, thanks--and I look forward to your continued responses!

Margo(olehossgal) in NM

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-11-09 12:52 PM (#70774 - in reply to #70710)

Expert

Margo! get the Michelin LTX-M/S's........We'll both, be glad you did! My LTX's seemed to work pretty good in the snow, yes it did snow in Eastern North Carolina several years ago! I just wish that it would rain again.
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-09 1:23 PM (#70776 - in reply to #70710)

Veteran

Snow in NM?  Whoodathunkit.  j/k.

The problems I've had with snow in regards to these tires is that the heavy wet slop doesn't seem to wanna let go of the tire.  They don't shed the sticky stuff.  But they've proven their wear on pavement, they are GREAT in the rain and they're quiet.  Have Pirelli Scorpions on my 2wd Ram, and they are crap if you go 6" off of pavement (but that's another story).  My good friend owns a tire shop and has the liesure of trying all the new Goodyears on his trucks.  He highly recommends NOT getting the new GY Wrangler Kevlar tires.  He pulls a 32' 5th wheel camper, and he ATE those tires up in less than 30k miles.

perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-09 1:30 PM (#70777 - in reply to #70710)

Veteran

Hi Margo! Well, you asked for opinions so I am going to offer another one.  I know Michellens are being recommended by a number of users but I will respectfully disagree.  I had a blow out in my old F250 that had Michellens (sorry about the spelling) that almost killed me.  That said, my next F250 came with Firestone Steeltex and they were wonderful and allowed me to get a lot of miliage out of them.  I currently drive a Chevy 2500HD diesel 4X4 and have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours on it.  These Goodyears were very expensive but they are wearing very well and have repelled several hunks of metal that I have run over on the road (saving me lots of dollars in replacement tires).

That said, I have one more bit of advice regardless of the brand you choose (I firmly believe that all brands will have thier occassional lemons produced) go with a Load Range E and keep the pressure correct!! I didn't notice anyone else addressing the Load Range or pressure issues and thought I would throw it out as a reminder.  Best of luck and happy trailering!!

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-11-09 2:38 PM (#70780 - in reply to #70710)

Elite Veteran

***flame suit on***

Most blowouts are due to underinflated and/or overloaded tires.  A blowout is far less likely to be caused by tire failure alone than by operator error and lack of maintenance (ie: check your tire pressure!).

That being said, I too am a fan of Michelins, but Coopers are a good tire, and if you have Les Schwab where you are, their line of truck tires are good too.   If you are going for price/value I'd go Les Schwab, but if you are going for the best there is, I'd recommend the Michelins.

(ex-Goodyear salesperson)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)