'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
roof repair again, has anyone used this stuff?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-08 2:23 PM
13 replies, 4987 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-04 8:04 PM (#67173)
Subject: roof repair again, has anyone used this stuff?

Regular

http://www.eternabond.com/rv_repairs.htm

Can anyone tell me if they have used this stuff with good luck. It is advertised as a one time fix. If that is true then why in the world would the trailer companies not use it in the first place?

I just want to make sure that it is not one of these sounds to good to be true products.

Thanks

MIke

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-05 4:48 PM (#67259 - in reply to #67173)
Subject: RE: roof repair again, has anyone used this stuff?

Regular

I have spent 2 hours on the phone today talking to one of the company reps. He swears that this stuff will last a lifetime but they only warranty it to be leak proof for 10 years. He has put me some smaples in the mail and if it looks good I will use it on our trailer as a test run.

After that since there are no distributors any where close by I may start taking it with me to horse shows to market along with our golf carts. I can't help but belive that a one time roof repair will sell.

I'll keep the board posted but in the meantime if anyone has experience with this product please post your feelings about it.

Thanks

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-05 4:51 PM (#67261 - in reply to #67259)

Expert

Originally written by mike and darcy on 2007-09-05 5:48 PM

I have spent 2 hours on the phone today talking to one of the company reps. He swears that this stuff will last a lifetime but they only warranty it to be leak proof for 10 years.

10 years is a lifetime for most trailer owners...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-09-05 4:53 PM
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-09-05 5:34 PM (#67270 - in reply to #67261)

Veteran

I looked at this advertisement and if you are referring to the repair 'tape" material, it looks a lot like the stuff I bought from Lowes. The lowes product is about 6" wide and is a rubberized material with a thin aluminum backing. I used this on my Sooner roof along the riveted seams over the LQ. I only had one small drip/seep in the corner where the gooseneck tapers but I covered the entire gooseneck/LQ area riveted seam. I simply used a scotchbrite bad on the area and cleaned with rubbing alcohol. Then applied the tape..be carefull you only get one chance to stick it on. Install when the roof is warm so the sun has a chance to heat and soften the tape..rub down well and it works great. Mine has been on for over 6 years, we haul a lot ..several trips out west and local horse events. I checked it this summer and saw no evidense of the tape lifting anywhere. I would recommend this product.
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-05 6:01 PM (#67273 - in reply to #67173)

Regular

I also spent 2 hours in Lowe's today and did not find anything like this product at all.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-09-06 7:38 PM (#67363 - in reply to #67173)

Extreme Veteran

my (brand new) Lakota is leaking in several places on the roof.   there are warning signs on the back saying "do not walk on roof"   how are you supposed to fix it if you can't get up on it?  called the manufacturer and he said one of his drivers is comming out this way and will fix it.  lets hope!
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-09-06 9:03 PM (#67367 - in reply to #67173)

Veteran

The material I used from Lowes is:

Peel and Seal
Model PS625
Lowes Item # 154017

This is at our store in Chillicothe Ohio and you can see it on the Lowes web page. In our local store its located in the aisle where they have roof flashing, sealing materials, etc...may not be stocked at your store but if it looks like something you want to try they can order it. Regards.
Tim
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-09-07 8:14 AM (#67395 - in reply to #67173)

Regular

It's called Peel and Seal, it's at Lowes and it works great
KrystleChoco
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-09-07 2:20 PM (#67420 - in reply to #67173)

Hi! This is my second time posting...and from your previous posts, I believe that your having trouble with your exiss roof? Sorry if i'm wrong but, I think I can help. Were on our 2nd exiss right now. The first was a 5 horse with a DR and the second is a SS414 bunkhouse.

Oh believe me, do the exiss' leak :( We've had the best of luck with climbing on the roof and painting all the seams, etc. with some stuff called Snow Roof. We get it from our local ACE Hardware and it comes in a gallon paint can. We just simply paint it on our roof with a paint brush every couple of years (its guaranteed for 10 years but, for peace of mind, we do it every couple of years) and its worked wonders. Stops all the leaking and seals the roof. If I remember correctly, I think the gallon costs around $20 bucks, but it will last you forever.

Its a great fix for a decent price rather than buying a million tubes of caulk. :)

Good Luck!
Amanda
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-09-07 2:49 PM (#67423 - in reply to #67173)

Expert

You know, I have not had any trouble with my Silver Star roof leaking............It's all one sheet of aluminum, no seams, silicone sealer around the vents and around the edges. But the roof is one sheet of aluminum......33' long. Thought they were all pretty much built this way, if not then what are you painting? Do you have seams running crossways every 4-5 feet like the old steel trailers used to have?
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-07 3:50 PM (#67428 - in reply to #67173)

Regular

retento:  There is a seam all the way around the trailer about 3-4 inches from the edge. 38x7 trailer = 90 foot of seam.

I'm going to go with the one fix last a life time tape. Even though the materail is a little more. I don't want to have to do this every year or so. I also do not want my new living wuarters to get wet.

I'll post next week on how the repair went.

Mike

Edited by mike and darcy 2007-09-07 10:32 PM
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-07 4:39 PM (#67435 - in reply to #67173)

Veteran

Try some local lumber yard for the peel n seal. It also comes 36" wide also. Another product to try that can brushed on is Geocel Proflex Roof Seal. It is clear and when it is dry very flexiable. I used this product on our trailer when we couldn't find the leak brushed around the edge of trialer and did second the next day. Leak was gone.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-08 1:49 PM (#67463 - in reply to #67173)

Expert

For those that have painted the stuff on, how did you handle the edges to keep it from dripping down the side of the trailer?  My seam is right along the curved edge so I would have to paint a couple inches of the side as well.  I've been trying to figure out how to do it and not have it look bad. 

Can the tape be painted?  I have a steel trailer and the tape is aluminum faced and would really stand out on a white trailer.

Edited by Terri 2007-09-08 1:54 PM
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-08 2:23 PM (#67465 - in reply to #67173)

Regular

OK Folks.  I can see a leak free horse trailer in the near future. The samples of the Eternabond showed up yesterday afternoon, I went to another Lowe's today and found the peel and seal. Honestly speaking, the peel and seal is Christmas present tape compared to the Eternabond.  Let me tell you this stuff will stick an alligators butt together. The samples also came with an hour long video on the different uses of this amazing tape. I'm sold, Monday I will be placing my dealer size order and will have a table set up at the next horse show along with our golf carts. I can not help but believe that a one time roof repeir will sell.

Even though it is more money I will pay the difference and do this job only once. My trailer has about 90 feet of seam so I'll need 2 rolls @ $60 a roll, $7 for the cleaner. The $30 a quart primer is not required in most cases. If so a $150.00 one time investment has to be the way to go.

About the colors, This product comes in 4 colors, white, black, grey, and alum. There is also another tape that comes unfinshed and after it is down you top coat it with a uv stablizer that can be tinted (at the paint store) to match your surface.

They also have a double stick tape with contact on both sides to use as a gasket for additions of roof top A/C, vents, windows and doors, etc.

I'll post again next week when the job is complete and let you all know how easy or hard it was.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)