'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Riding and drinking

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-02 10:01 AM
13 replies, 5719 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-03 9:46 AM (#43923)
Subject: Riding and drinking

Extreme Veteran

OK....I'm probably going to open a big can of worms here, but I just can't help myself. An acquaintance of ours was killed recently after she was thrown when a dog spooked her horse on the trail. We were not there at the time so I don't know for sure if alcohol was a factor but they are known to fill their saddle bags with beer before they set out. I'm not a big fan of dogs on the trail but that is a whole different issue. My point here is...Why do people feel they cannot have a good trail ride unless they are drinking? I am not opposed to having a little "adult refreshment" around the camp fire, but I have seen too many accidents happen when folks get so drunk they can't control their horse. Twice, I have actually seen people fall out of their saddles......on level ground! Also, the majority of trash you see on the trail is beer cans or bottles. Come on guys....you are on top of a 1000 lb. animal who needs you to be in control. Let's have a sober ride and then enjoy a little "toddy" around the fire.

Just my 2 cents.

RIDE ON!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-03 10:15 AM (#43925 - in reply to #43923)
Subject: RE: Riding and drinking

Extreme Veteran

I agree with you completely. I have never understood why people can't get a high just from a good ride. I know several people that won't go on a ride if they can't drink their beer out on the trail. It is just an accident waiting to happen. Then they come back to camp and drink all night. I don't know how they do it and get up and start all over the next day. Just don't understand it.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-03 10:57 AM (#43930 - in reply to #43923)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you Longears...Last fall we took a weekend at Long C in Westmoreland, TN and the camp does not allow any alcohol. One of the riders who had planned to join us actually backed out after finding out he couldn't bring his beer!! What a dope! We had a terrific weekend. I guess he just slung his saddle bags over the arm of his Lazy Boy. We were better off without him!

RIDE ON! 

Windy Hill Mules
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-03 12:39 PM (#43938 - in reply to #43923)

I got back into horses/MULES 12 yrs ago when my daughter wanted a pony.We rode a few trail rides and then quit going and just rode with friends on private property or a few local and state parks that allow riding for just that reason. I like cold one but not when I was responible for a 5 yr old or when had to drive a truck and trailer home afterwards.. The language and horseplay was to dangerous to be around with kids and sometimes even adults.
We would invite others and it was a blast sitting around relaxing, having hot dog burning contests afterwards and just listening to the kids.
I have seen a many people ruin a good horse/mule from riding drunk and then blame the critter for it...
Guess wisdom comes with age.. 61
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-04 8:38 AM (#43992 - in reply to #43923)

Veteran

I totally agree with you. Don't drink and ride. Our biggest pieve is all the cans out on the trails. It takes a lot less room carrying them back into camp empty then when they were full. Better yet leave them at home! Once when we were down at Shawnee we could here a guy talking but couldn't see him. Then he came down this hill, asked us which way to camp. He was so drunk could barley sit in the saddle. He was at his horses mercy to get him to camp because he had no idea. Now I'm not sure if he was high on booze or something else, but he was very out of it. We are fortunate, it's usually only husband and myself that ride. But when we do ride with others they are non drinkers also.
Happy Safe Trails
Shari
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-05 8:04 PM (#44096 - in reply to #43992)

Extreme Veteran

Amen !!! I don't like drinking and driving or drinking and riding. I have seen some people hurt horses and themselves because they were drinking. Have one around the campfire OK not 10 or 12. Just my opion.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 10:12 PM (#44109 - in reply to #43923)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you to Dwight......I agree also, nothing wrong with after the ride away and off the horses, but out on the trail is dangerous, what's wrong with a littlepepsi, or some type of soda instead.....
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-06 4:11 AM (#44118 - in reply to #43923)

Extreme Veteran

We like to freeze jugs of sweet tea. That way you have a COLD drink all day long. YUMMM!
RIDE ON!
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-06 7:15 AM (#44124 - in reply to #43923)

Elite Veteran

Agree with everyone else that it's a bad mixture.  We do like our happy hours but I prefer to ride in the morning, so we all take it easy even after the ride. 

I also freeze water and gatoraide to take on the rides.  Ice tea is a good idea as well.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 1:17 PM (#44487 - in reply to #43923)

Elite Veteran

In some states you can get a duii on horseback as they are considered a vehicle.I have had a cold beer while on a ride,and it was gooood but like all things too much will hurt you.Ride safe and come back in one piece.

Pack it in pack it out.

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2006-07-12 1:29 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-07-12 10:55 PM (#44525 - in reply to #43923)

Expert

As expected those that agree are posting.

I don't know how you can drink anything out of a can while on a  horse. I'd have more of it on my shirt than in my mouth.  When I go riding, I cover ground. At 6-8 mph I can't drink Pepsi out of can. I need a sports bottle with a squirt cap. So I'm pretty limited to water and gatoraid.

I see folks moseying down the trail with beer in hand. But they go for a 2 mile ride and think they have covered ground for the afternoon. My horses have too much go in them to mosey along.  They know when I saddle them up it's 15-25 miles so they might as well go to work and cover ground. Different types of recreation for different folks.

SkipperW
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-13 1:39 AM (#44527 - in reply to #43923)

I don't think that drinking and horse camping in general is a good mix. Anything can happen and you need to have your wits about you at all times. Don't mind one or two, but excessive drinking shows little regard for your animals. Drinking is a means of escape. If you're out riding a good horse in some beautiful country just what the heck are you escaping from? Besides, most of our riding is in state and federal parks where alcohol is prohibited. If they're good enough to provide us with trails, we should have the good sense to follow their rules.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-27 5:59 PM (#45534 - in reply to #44527)

Extreme Veteran

Amen to that!!

We also live close to our fav riding spots and they are Nat Forest, and a State Parks. The State Park WILL cite you for open container on the trails, and for DUI if you don't pass a breathalizer. Since ALL Calif Rangers on patrol are P.O.S.T. certified, they DO HAVE full police powers. In the Nat Forest we are on our own, and the "Clowns" with the guns, "Jackbunnies" with dirt bikes, and a lot of just city jerks are screwing up the landscape and many leave their trash where ever they are. I guess they live like that at home in the ghetto too. In Calif, if you are cited for open container, DUI, or in an "incident" where the rangers have to make reports, the Dept of Motor Vehicles gets the reports as well.... That means no license when you come up for renewal, no registration for vehicles,  or to court until diversion and fines have been paid. ( Not to mention what your insurance company will do)  Just save it for around the camp and even there MODERATION is the key element.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-02 10:01 AM (#45878 - in reply to #43923)

Elite Veteran

Hu Raaa I'll drink to that ! bar tender sasperella all round....I'm buyen.

What?? make yurs tea ? with lemon ? oh ok then go fo the hard stuff.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)