'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
4runner?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-31 9:46 PM
13 replies, 5944 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

blujeanbbyqueen
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-27 10:29 AM (#39591)
Subject: 4runner?

New User

I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 and I am looking in to buying a trailer. The 4Runner is a v6 and the towing capactiy listed for the SR5 is 5000lbs. Does anyone have any experiance pulling with a 4Runner? My trainer told me that the 4Runner would probably not be able to pull a 2-horse trailer, but I have recently found some trailers such as the Benderup trailers that are light enough that I think my 4Runner could pull them. If anyone has experiance pulling with a 4Runner, or knows of any other good lightweight trailers please let me know.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-27 6:31 PM (#39616 - in reply to #39591)
Subject: RE: 4runner?

Expert

Originally written by blujeanbbyqueen on 2006-03-27 11:29 AM

I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 and I am looking in to buying a trailer. The 4Runner is a v6 and the towing capactiy listed for the SR5 is 5000lbs. Does anyone have any experiance pulling with a 4Runner? My trainer told me that the 4Runner would probably not be able to pull a 2-horse trailer, but I have recently found some trailers such as the Benderup trailers that are light enough that I think my 4Runner could pull them. If anyone has experiance pulling with a 4Runner, or knows of any other good lightweight trailers please let me know.

Hi and welcome to the fun house.
There are MANY posts on lightweight tow vehicles, lightweight trailers, etc.

Benderup or benderdown ?
My Jamco is barely 600 lbs heavier and it is a FULL SIZED TRAILER with FULL SIZED WHEELS, a REAL tack/dr and NO claustrophobia concerns, i.e. it doesn't have the appearance of having been shrink wrapped onto the horses.
With a curb weight under 3,000 lbs and a GVWR of 7,000 - I could get a couple of big 'uns in there and still have some capacity for tack.
You could probably pull a couple of 1/4 horses in a full size aluminum trailer with a 4-runner.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 7:03 PM (#39618 - in reply to #39591)

Expert

Had a couple of friends who tried the Toyora V6 trucks(NOT 4x4s,they pull worse)were NOT impressed.Comments like FLOORED,struggles,poor fuel mileage etc.The overhead cam engines in the Toyotas don't make horsepower down low.Find a good used Chevy with a 350 or Ford with a 351 and you will be a lot happier.I'm with your trainer.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-03-27 7:35 PM (#39622 - in reply to #39591)

Expert

brenderups are interesting and have their niche, but i think id look here

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=53172

before going that route. i dont see why it couldnt be done.

a bigger vehicle would draw less attention from the so called experianced, but they really are not necessary for the smaller trailers.

i pulled with my sig for a couple years before buying the almighty 3/4 ton duramax/allison.  as for power and mpg, i cant really tell much difference never have to floor either vehicle, they also get identical mpg (with and without trailer) however diesel costs .30 cents more down here.  a good brake controler and WDH and you should be in business.

Kalanga
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 9:33 PM (#39628 - in reply to #39591)

I have a 2004 4-Runner 6-cylinder (not a 4x4) with the towing package and I love my Brenderup.  I have the Baron TC, which is the larger one they make.  Granted, they are pricey for 2-horse trailers, but I wanted something I could pull without borrowing my husband's truck, so we splurged.  When we do use the truck, you hardly know the trailer's  back there.  Just one person's experience and opinion.
blujeanbbyqueen
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-28 10:12 AM (#39646 - in reply to #39628)

New User

yeah that is the BrenderUp I was looking at. Gives you the 3ft dressing room and such. It is a little pricy but if I got almost anything else I would have to buy a truck and a trailer.
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-03-29 9:06 AM (#39714 - in reply to #39591)

Veteran

I had a 1996 4Runner and a 2000 Brenderup Baron TC.  Maybe for day trips that combo is fine but I was trying to camp.  Damn doors wouldn't stay open (no latches), they'd blow shut when I was leaning into the trailer and left me with many a bruise from that damn thumb-shaped latch.  The saddle racks were just round pipes not fit for holding a saddle, they would always fall off into the manure bucket.  The horses loaded great into it (it was nice and roomy, and TALL) but I couldn't use the tack "room" with a horse on board because they all figured out how to slam the lid down on my head.

But if your question is about towing... then yes, you'd be fine with a Brenderup.  The slanted tailgate DOES seem to help prevent the "drag" that makes big tow vehicles necessary.  I switched to a 2000# Merhow and had to upgrade to a 1/2-ton pickup.  That's OK though, because now I have a gooseneck for easier camping and a 4Runner CAN'T haul that!  LOL

oregonbuckaroo
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-03-29 11:19 PM (#39758 - in reply to #39591)

one thing you guys have not even discused is brakes.  who cares if your 4runner will get it moving but will it get it stop probilly not. first off the brakes on the rig are way to small second do you have a plug to even get power to the trailer? and being that short of a wheel base are you ready to have tail whip from you know were. if it were me i would not even try it and if its a auto are you willing to buy a new transmission when you crater it.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-30 6:45 AM (#39762 - in reply to #39758)

Expert

Originally written by oregonbuckaroo on 2006-03-29 12:19 AM

one thing you guys have not even discused is brakes. who cares if your 4runner will get it moving but will it get it stop probilly not. first off the brakes on the rig are way to small second do you have a plug to even get power to the trailer? and being that short of a wheel base are you ready to have tail whip from you know were. if it were me i would not even try it and if its a auto are you willing to buy a new transmission when you crater it.

Depending on the tow vehicle's brakes to stop the trailer is WRONG way thinking. The trailer has brakes, the brake controller in the tow vehicle needs to be set to use them FULLY !
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-03-30 1:31 PM (#39791 - in reply to #39591)

Veteran

Also, if she goes with a Brenderup she doesn't need an electric brake box, the trailer comes with Inertia brakes that come on automagically when the truck slows down. 

In my experience they worked GREAT except in springtime when the frost heaves are out in full force.  Even going over them slowly applied the Inertia brakes.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-30 10:35 PM (#39816 - in reply to #39791)

Expert

Originally written by Sharon on 2006-03-30 2:31 PM

Also, if she goes with a Brenderup she doesn't need an electric brake box, the trailer comes with Inertia brakes that come on automagically when the truck slows down.

In my experience they worked GREAT except in springtime when the frost heaves are out in full force. Even going over them slowly applied the Inertia brakes.

Mechanical (not hydraulic) surge brakes ?
On all four wheels ?
Good luck getting THOSE adjusted (-:
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-31 2:16 AM (#39822 - in reply to #39762)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2006-03-30 3:45 AM

Depending on the tow vehicle's brakes to stop the trailer is WRONG way thinking. The trailer has brakes, the brake controller in the tow vehicle needs to be set to use them FULLY !

Not really so. I had problems with my brakes on my trailer just out of the blue. It got worse the more I used them and it was jerking my horses around everywhere. I wanted to hurry up and get home before dark as I didn't want to be stranded on the side of the highway with horses all by myself (and cell phones do not work). I unpugged my brakes and towed about 15 miles to home. I had some really steep mountains to go down too. I knew there was a reason why I upgraded my brakes on my truck. If anything, it is a nice piece of mind that I know my truck can stop my trailer if anything like that should happen again.

albert
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-03-31 7:20 PM (#39849 - in reply to #39591)

I have been using my toyota 4 runner 4 wheel drive to pull a 3,000 pound 2 horse bumper pull aluminum over steel trailer. I will only put one horse in at a time. When I bought it we thought we would only use it to take the horse to lessons (20 miles round trip) and 4-H (30 miles round trip) It has been fine for those purposes with those limitations. However I am now wanting to pull 2 horses to shows that are over 120 miles round trip. I don't think that this would be safe given I will be at the max. towing capacity. I will be shopping for a truck this spring with a higher towing capacity. My advice would be not to figure on your lightest pulling weight but to makesure you have plenty of extra left to pull with. But like i said not much trouble using the 4 runner on short trips. I did have to modify the vehicle to take a round plug (I think that should tell you something right there !!) But my mechanic (who also is very experienced with horses) said for the hauling that I at least at first was planning to do it would be adequate.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-31 9:46 PM (#39851 - in reply to #39822)

Expert

Originally written by krys on 2006-03-31 3:16 AM

Originally written by Reg on 2006-03-30 3:45 AM

Not really so. I had problems with my brakes on my trailer just out of the blue. It got worse the more I used them and it was jerking my horses around everywhere. I wanted to hurry up and get home before dark as I didn't want to be stranded on the side of the highway with horses all by myself (and cell phones do not work). I unpugged my brakes and towed about 15 miles to home. I had some really steep mountains to go down too. I knew there was a reason why I upgraded my brakes on my truck. If anything, it is a nice piece of mind that I know my truck can stop my trailer if anything like that should happen again.

There is a BIG difference between depending on something because something else is broken - and depending on something for the wrong purpose.
Tow vehicle brakes are intended to stop the tow vehicle, trailer brakes are intended to stop the trailer. Unplugging the trailer brakes and hurrying to get home before dark ? Your decision, your life, your horses - I guess. Just pleased you didn't hurt anyone.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)