'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help I know nothing of living quarters

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-02 1:55 PM
13 replies, 10004 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

what am I chasing??
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-09-25 5:52 PM (#92112)
Subject: Help I know nothing of living quarters

THIS IS NOT A WANT AD!!!! I just need info.... I would like to buy a living quarter but I would be hauling with a short bed 3/4 ton v 10 engine so I need something light at least a 2 horse. I don't know what brands are good and what isn't. I don't want to be pushed down a hill because I am over hauling. Can any one tell me about any of the "easy" to pull aluminum LQ trailers out there. I also will be looking for at least an 8 foot short wall. I am used to hauling with a 32 foot motorhome. So Im use to space..... Thank you so much
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-09-25 6:37 PM (#92115 - in reply to #92112)
Subject: RE: Help I know nothing of living quarters

Expert

I assume you want a gooseneck with a minimum 8' short wall LQ, with a 2 horse capacity?  I would recommend a somewhat V nose trailer, for turning ability and aerodynamics.  After that, what features do you want and how much $ are they worth to you would be more parameters to guide your purchase. What type of horses are you hauling and what kind of places do you want to get into?  Will you be camping always with hookups or boondocking a lot?
what am I chasing??
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-09-25 6:57 PM (#92118 - in reply to #92112)

either a goose neck or bumper pull, yes at least a 2 horse, used as I don't want to spend very much like $30,000, with full quarters as I have a child. I am a barrel racer so sometimes hook up sometimes not. I free load as my horse has had bad trailer experiences in the past. I guess it is what brands are good and light weight. I have look at the merhow's but I think they look kinda cheap built but there is different types as well. THANKS
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-09-26 4:02 PM (#92152 - in reply to #92112)

Elite Veteran

Nobody has jumped in yet on weight, so I will.  Before you start making a must-have list for your trailer, check to see what the towing capacity of your truck is.  Based on that, you can work backwards, comparing how much various size and brands of trailers weigh.  This will narrow down your choices as to what size and type of trailer you should consider.
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-09-28 2:51 AM (#92233 - in reply to #92118)

Veteran

If you think Merlow's are cheaply built, you might as well go straight to the top of the range stuff, cos' Merlow's are of the better built trailers out there... Would hate to think what you think of the build quality a Exiss or Ponderosa.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-09-28 10:16 AM (#92237 - in reply to #92112)

Expert

Lots of questions. I see you are in Mexican Hat, So the close dealers are going to be in Cortez or Grand Junction.  Even they aer a ways off, but they are porbably who you will have to go to for service. What brands do the dealers in those towns offer? 

Are you going to buy New or Used?

With a Ford F250 V10 you are limited to about 13,500 lbs of trailer with a tongue weight less than 2900 lbs.  You will have to keep that in mind.

I had a Classic Bunk House trailer that I sold a couple of years ago that weighed about 13,000 when loaded. So that might be a consideration. That's not a full blown living quarters, but it did have a bathroom, shower, couch and bed.  Frontier Trailer in Spanish Fork sells that brand. It's an all aluminum trailer but not in the same class as a Platinum or 4 Star as far as top of the line construction.  But mine held up very well.

There are several Logan Coach dealers around, St George, Cedar City, Salt Lake, Grand Junction. Their Gold or Platinum LQ in their XT or XTR line of trailers will put you pretty close to max for your 3/4 truck with a 2 horse and over with a 3 or 4 horse trailer.

Just know that most gooseneck horse trailers are going to weigh about 6,000 lbs empty.  Add your LQ and horses and you will be 13,000 to 16,000lbs real quick.

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-09-30 11:43 PM (#92396 - in reply to #92112)

Extreme Veteran

I pull with a 99 Chevy with 6.0L gas engine...it's a 4x4 with extra cab, Shortbox.  My GN is a 2H Kiefer Built with 9' SW with shower, bathroom, furnace, pull out sofa and small living space.  It weighs 5300 empty; that is with no water, mats, horses, etc.  It is about the same size inside as my friend's 10' camper - okay for one or two people.  I ride endurance and camp in the boondocks, a lot.  The trailer has 2 propane tanks and 2 big marine batteries which are great for weekends.  For longer stays I have a Honda 3000 generator to help revive the batteries!   Last spring I saw a trailer that was very cool...  it was a Classic 2H GN with a slide-out in the living room area.  That made an amazing difference in the amount of space you have to move around.  I have trailer envy for sure!  She was pulling with a 3/4 truck as well.  I think she said the weight was 7000 lbs so probably 9000 loaded with her stuff and 1 horse.  It was a nice trailer.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-10-01 1:31 PM (#92422 - in reply to #92396)

Elite Veteran

Did you and your friend weigh these trailers or is this what the marketing literature tells you the trailers weigh?

5300 lbs empty sounds like the weight before LQ to me. 

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-10-01 10:20 PM (#92432 - in reply to #92422)

Extreme Veteran

According to the manufacturer it is 5300 with the LQ.  The LQ materials are pretty flimsy... very lightweight material.  I am always trying to remember to be careful so as not to snap off a faucet or cupboard door.  I used to have a big steel 2H GN and it was 4500 empty; it actually felt heavier than this trailer to pull.  This one is mostly aluminum with fiberglass roof... I have pulled a 3H GN with 3 horses (9000 lbs) over the pass and could barely keep my speed above 40 mph... I have no trouble with this trailer fully loaded with one horse so the assumption is that it's not that heavy.  I am guessing it weighs 8000 fully loaded.  My horse is only 900 lbs and the water plus tack and hay is about 1000. I should find a place to weigh the truck and trailer together, then unhook and drive the truck off the scales to see what the weight really is, just for kicks.   I do wonder what the tongue weight is - I have read that a reasonable estimate is 25% of your trailer weight. 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-01 10:57 PM (#92435 - in reply to #92432)

Expert

Originally written by cowgirl98034 on 2008-10-01 12:20 AM

I should find a place to weigh the truck and trailer together, then unhook and drive the truck off the scales to see what the weight really is, just for kicks.   I do wonder what the tongue weight is - I have read that a reasonable estimate is 25% of your trailer weight. 

Just a suggestion... The truck stops have scales that give three weights at once.  steer axle, drive axle and trailer axles.  I would wait to have a full load aboard the trailer.  Get the weights of all axles.  Then go home and let the horses off, unhitch the trailer and just drive the truck back to any Scale.  You'll get the drive and steer axle weights again. 

The difference between the sum of steer & drive axle weights with and without the trailer is your hitch pin weight.  The difference between the sum of the truck axles without the trailer and the sum of all the axles (Include the trailer axles)again with the trailer is the trailer weight.

The advantage is: not having an unhitched trailer full of horses sitting in the parking lot of the truck stop.

Edited by hosspuller 2008-10-01 11:00 PM
amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-10-02 10:52 AM (#92446 - in reply to #92112)

Regular

i currently have a merhow 'very lite' (with 'weekend' package, 6' SW.) and am looking to go bigger. (2 kids and a mom just can't all fit in a weekender, esp when one kid is a teenager.)

the merhow is lite, easy to pull and fairly well built but i don't know if it would hold up to a lot of rough roads, like those in some campgrounds, off the beaten path type thing.  

spend a lot of time looking on this site at the various trailers in your pricerange.  it is going to be tough going from an RV to  a small LQs.  have you thought about getting an RV to pull a 2-horse?  i have seen people do that, too.

i have also taken a piece of chalk and 'drawn' out the living quarters, the floor plan, according to dimensions.  helps to get an idea of how crowded things can get.     good luck.

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-10-02 12:42 PM (#92457 - in reply to #92112)

Veteran

Is your Merhow 7ft wide or 8ft wide?  Does it have mangers?  How much are you going to sell it for?
what am I chasing??
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-10-02 12:49 PM (#92458 - in reply to #92233)

I was actually looking at the merhow's but a very good friend of mine, and big time racer just got rid of her mer how due to everyything falling apart. Yes they are better made for the cheap priced trailers out there, and you can get the merhows that are a little more pricy, and they are better built. But again price is a big thing for me, as is weight. Exiss is very popular in this area, they are a little heavier than the merhow's, but about the same. and yeah I don't think so on the ponderosa wouldn't own one.
I have yet to find any weight on any of the web sites for lq horse trailers. because although I have been in a motorhome for 4 years I am very use to not going fast so that is not an issue. I just want something comfortable. I won't be doing off road or very many rv's. as I rodeo and barrel race so I will be in arena lots.. Thank you to everyone!
amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-10-02 1:55 PM (#92462 - in reply to #92112)

Regular

ncatanz:  the merhow is a 7 wide, 7'6" tall.  if you want to know more, please send me a personal/private message (by going to my profile...i think that is how you do it) and i will answer your questions.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)