'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Water container

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-31 5:52 PM
13 replies, 6711 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-16 10:17 AM (#79648)
Subject: Water container

Veteran

I camp at serveral places where I have to haul water to my horses.  So I had been taking my grandson's red wagon along and a 5 gallon container, but that took up so much room in my trailer.  When I was at Academy sports store the other day I came across an 8 gallon water contain on rollers with a handle to pull it.  Was skepital if it would pull over rough terrain, so as soon as I got it home I filled it and it done very well pulling in dirt and gravel.  

RELIANCE HYDROLLER WATER CONTAINER

RELIANCE HYDROLLER WATER CONTAINER

Zoom product image.

$24.99

Item#: 11861556
Style#: 9600-03
SKU: 0222-02661-9600
  • Capacity: 8 gal.
  • Built-in spigot
  • Wheels and extended handle for easy transport

Edited by Z71 2008-03-16 10:24 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-03-16 11:12 AM (#79650 - in reply to #79648)
Subject: RE: Water container

Extreme Veteran

Ok just want to clear something for myself...........

You do have water you haul in in your trailer correct. LIke I have a 50 gal. tank for the horses. You just needed something to get the water from the trailer to the horses then, correct?

I have a hose, that will reach anywhere the horses are, but in my primitve camping that will reach to the horses as they are usually paneled that is hooked to the other side of my trailer. Last year, they were in a spot quite a ways away, and my hose still reached. It's one my husband got me off of one of his job sites that they were gonna throw away, one of those heavy duty construction strength hoses.

LIke I said didn't know if you just only haul 8 gal. with you or if that was just like filling up a bucket and carrying it to the horses.....

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-16 11:47 AM (#79654 - in reply to #79648)

Veteran

That is just for refilling their buckets at the camp site. Most of the camps have water hydrants just not at each camp site. I do have a 30 gallon water container in my living qts.  But I like to save that water for myself.  And it would be harder to refill the trailer water tank then to just haul water to the horses.  I also don't usually have there portable pens right next to the trailer.

Edited by Z71 2008-03-16 11:51 AM
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-03-16 11:54 AM (#79655 - in reply to #79648)

Extreme Veteran

Shoot! If your filling from hydrants, lucky me agian, my husband has tons of blue fire hose that hooks up to the hydrants, courtesy of the jobsites throwing away stuff agian, we use it for hooking up to our portable pumps at the ponds at the ranch for irrigation. I bet that would work too! it's 100 ft. lengths too!

Just brainstorming, but as long as that neat little thing works for ya, cool!

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-16 12:13 PM (#79656 - in reply to #79648)

Veteran

Not allowed to run hoses to camp sites, it would take well over a 1,000 foot of hose and would have to run thru other camp sites also most of the time.  When we have water at the camp site I do use the water hose to water them with. 
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-03-16 5:15 PM (#79676 - in reply to #79648)

Extreme Veteran

We carry a 65 gal poly water container in the bed of the pickup. An 8ft garden hose fits in the outlet. Then I can easily fill up one of the 6 gal water containers ($7 at Wal-Mart) to carry to the horses. Or. we will also take a 50 ft hose that most times will reach to where the horses are. There are a few times that I'd love that 8 gal wheeled container, however.

If we are going on an all-day drive, I'll fill a couple of the Wal-mart jugs half-full so I can offer the horses a drink when we make a pit stop.

Different stokes or whatever floats yer boat, I guess.
Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-03-27 9:09 PM (#80479 - in reply to #79648)

Veteran

We have a built-in 30-gal water tank in the trailer under the horses' mangers, but that won't last a full long weekend. I don't have the strength to carry a bucket very far. If hoses aren't an option, I think this container on wheels is a great idea.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-28 9:09 AM (#80497 - in reply to #79648)

Elite Veteran

I carry 65 gallions in the truck bed.  Got tank from TSC.  And 55 gallions in a roof rack tank.  I go to t alot of primitive places where I need my own water.  If I am going to a campground with stalls, I just carry about 10-20 gals for the road.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-03-28 10:53 AM (#80516 - in reply to #79648)

Extreme Veteran

After this coming back up to the top I read it again, just had to ad, I'm glad I don't camp where there is that many people to run over, where I camp a deer or bear will run through your camp at the most, There is no one around
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-31 7:20 AM (#80771 - in reply to #80516)

Expert

Some of us just aren't as adventerous as you are,though. 
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-03-31 10:22 AM (#80789 - in reply to #79648)

Extreme Veteran

It's just not about being adventerous, it's about trying to get away from people. I like to go where no one goes or doesn't want to travel on foot that far(when I"m on a trail). You can see so much backcountry that way too, go where no one goes, oh and it's a plus that I know alot of the old trails that they don't use anymore.

'

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-31 11:15 AM (#80799 - in reply to #80789)

Expert

I'm not that adventerous,tho,and I don't like being that far from people myself.If I were camping on my own,as a lot of women do,I wouldn't feel comfortable being alone any more.But,you can be in danger camped right in the middle of a bunch of people,also.

I have a friend that camps/trail rides with groups,and she goes by herself.She was on a large wagon ride in MO,and that night,camped out in the middle of a field where others were around,said that someone tried to get into the trailer where she was.She said that someone on the trail had asked her earlier that day if she had come alone,so,she thinks she knows who it was.She had her door locked,thankfully.

So,I say,more power to you if you have the nerve and the sense of freedom to do so.I just don't,myself,plus,there's not that much good riding around here,like you have where you are located.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-03-31 3:54 PM (#80823 - in reply to #79648)

Expert

There is agroup I camp with that is quite varied in it's make up.  We go camping and some folks go earlya nd some show up late. I've seen a single young petite woman ( probably about 25) hike in 10 miles by herself to join us a day later than the rest of us. She arrived in camp about an hour after dark and most everybody else had gone to bed.

1st of all I was very surprised to see her came walk into camp in the dark. I was more concerned about her being along in the wilderness. I've confronted Bear and been chased up trees by Moose. So it had nothing to do with a Male or Female gender. But just being alone in the wilderness.

2nd I was surprised her friends hadn't worried about her.  Maybe at least riding back towards the trail head to meet her part way. Pony a horse back to give her a ride, or keep her company in the dark. When I asked them about it the next day, they had responded that they didn't really know when she was coming.

One evening a horse got loose and ran off. The lady who owned it hightailed after it. The horse made it all 10 miles back to the trailer. That where she found it. Threw a halter on it ( which was all she had taken with her as she ran after it) and rode it 10 miles back to camp in the dark alone. She was more concerned about spending a night alone at the trailhead than traveling alone along a wilderness trail in the dark. We worried about her. We had no idea where the horse had run or how far she would have to chase it. Whether she had gotten hurt chasing the horse.

We frequently set up a hunting camp in the fall. I often ride my horses in and out of the camp by myself. If my friends get away on Wednesday, I may join them on Friday. I spent 18 days in the desert last fall Desert Bighorn hunting, mostly by myself.

So it becomes more a matter of what people are comfortable with. vs how adventursome they are.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-31 5:52 PM (#80832 - in reply to #80823)

Expert

Yes,I agree.Plus,how "Personal safety minded" one is.I posted a thread not long ago about hiker Meredith Emerson.She wasn't really "alone" on the trail the day she was abducted,there were others,matter of fact,that is what led authorities to look for the man that abducted her.Other hikers had seen her talking to him that day.

The key was: she was young,and unthinking,and wasn't concerned with her personal safety the day she became too friendly and relaxed around a total stranger she met on the trail.Going around looking over our shoulder all the time and being scared to death,too afraid to enjoy ourselves in this our greatest passtime,is no way to live.But using our head and LIVING is.I'm glad that these women have the courage and the freedom to ride,if I had an area,like cowpony,heck fire,I'd ride out too,MACE,gun,whatever,by myself! Many women can't just sit around and wait for somebody else to ride with.

I have  a friend that lives in MO,and she is in her 80's.She often goes to a conservation area to ride alone,and she parks way back by the edge of the woods in a field.Do I agree? Not really.Would I do it? Probably not.But,she does,and she thinks nothing of it.She's alone,so,she does what she can to enjoy herself,and have fun.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)