'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
what size trailer for TB?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-09 3:52 PM
13 replies, 4568 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kcgold
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-07 7:00 AM (#46133)
Subject: what size trailer for TB?

New User

hi, am new here....buying our first trailer and need advice. Want (I think) a 2 horse BP for a 16.2 TB, will be adding another TB shortly.

Is a 7 foot high trailer big enough, I was thinking 7'6" would be best? Straight load or slant? And how wide, is 6 foot enough?

any brand recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!

Kathy

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-07 7:32 AM (#46135 - in reply to #46133)
Subject: RE: what size trailer for TB?

Veteran

Hey Kathy,
Welcome to the forum. I use to have an S&H 2 horse straight load bumper pull that was 7'6" tall. I never worried about my TB not being comfortable in it. I loved that trailer but had to sell it to buy a 3 horse. If you have larger horses it just makes sense and go ahead and buy the bigger trailer. Whether you buy a straight load or slant load is up to you, If you have the oportunity use both before you buy, There are pros and cons for each. With a straight load you don't have to get in the trailer with the horse however, if you have a horse that is difficult to load then the slant load comes in handy. I will tell you though just from my experience. If you decide on a slant load look into one that has 60/40 rear doors. I had a trailer with 50/50 rear doors and I ended up getting hurt. The 60/ 40 gives you a lot more room to get out of the way if a problem arises. However, your rear tack area is just a little smaller.

Just my opinion!!
As far as brands, are you looking for Alum or Steel?
Hope this helps!
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-07 12:08 PM (#46161 - in reply to #46133)

Veteran

Welcome here. This is a great site.

Regarding trailer size I'll relate my experience. Last year I bought a 7' tall gn slant load 2H. My racking horse, who is 15 hands 3", almost hits his head. So I'd definitely go with 7'6". The slant stalls are also cramped for his length and width. Sorry, I don't know how big those stalls are but the horse weighs about 1300 lbs. Fortunately he is the only horse I usually haul so I open the divider and give him more room.

There has been discussion about slant stalls being smaller than straight load but I couldn' tell you if thats true or not. I'd go as big as
possible on both height and width.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-07 1:42 PM (#46165 - in reply to #46133)

Expert

Originally written by kcgold on 2006-08-07 7:00 AM

hi, am new here....buying our first trailer and need advice. Want (I think) a 2 horse BP for a 16.2 TB, will be adding another TB shortly.

Is a 7 foot high trailer big enough, I was thinking 7'6" would be best? Straight load or slant? And how wide, is 6 foot enough?

any brand recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!

Kathy

I haul a 17 HH OTTB around regularly in a 7ft 6in high straight load 2 horse bumper-pull. I think 7ft would be too low - for him.
Straight vs slant is a bit controversial here - sometimes (-:
If you're dealing with TBs straight from the track, they're more likely to be used to straight load trailers.
If you get a slant the stall length is more important than the trailer's width. To get a stall length that is comparable to a straight-load look for trailers that have dividers that are 11 ft long. This corresponds to the straight load trailer with 7 ft between butt and chest bars plus 4ft to the head wall.
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-08-07 6:05 PM (#46181 - in reply to #46133)

Regular

Friend has 7'6" tall 8 foot wide slant load-no mangers.  Hauls a 17 hand, 1400lb throughbred and also has a 17 1/2 hand 1600lb belgian and both horses fit comfortably in his trailer.  Dont know if all trailers are the same but the slant load he has now is 4 inches longer in head to rear room for the horses than the straight load he got rid of when he bought this trailer.
kcgold
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-08 10:26 AM (#46211 - in reply to #46133)

New User

thanks for all the advice so far...it sounds like I should definitely look for 7'6" trailer. I was looking at Hawk trailers, does anyone like these? Also found a Featherlite 9405, which advertises itself as a good "beginner" trailer?
Is it better to have a ramp, or a step-up type?
thanks,
Kathy
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-08 11:45 AM (#46221 - in reply to #46211)

Expert

Originally written by kcgold on 2006-08-08 10:26 AM

thanks for all the advice so far...it sounds like I should definitely look for 7'6" trailer. I was looking at Hawk trailers, does anyone like these? Also found a Featherlite 9405, which advertises itself as a good "beginner" trailer?
Is it better to have a ramp, or a step-up type?
thanks,
Kathy

WOW !!!
I'd almost believe you've scanned the forum for "most controversial items" (-:
MY preference is FOR ramps, preferably on both sides as well as the back.
MY preference would be Hawk over Featherlite.
"I" don't know what a "Beginner trailer" would have as user features that would be absent on an "intermediate" or "advanced owner's" trailer.
Come to think of it, I don't know what features those would have that would be absent on the "beginner's" models (-:

regards,

puzzled in Mass
kcgold
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-08 12:37 PM (#46229 - in reply to #46221)

New User

WOW !!!
I'd almost believe you've scanned the forum for "most controversial items" (-:
MY preference is FOR ramps, preferably on both sides as well as the back.
MY preference would be Hawk over Featherlite.
"I" don't know what a "Beginner trailer" would have as user features that would be absent on an "intermediate" or "advanced owner's" trailer.
Come to think of it, I don't know what features those would have that would be absent on the "beginner's" models (-:

regards,

puzzled in Mass

apologies if I brought up any touchy subjects, wasn't trying to....I did go through some of the archives to see if my questions had already been answered, but couldn't find anything - maybe I'm not very good at the search thing.

I saw the Featherlite referred to that way in an ad, I think it just meant a good "starter" trailer for first time owners.

thanks for your advice,
Kathy
Postman
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-08-08 1:01 PM (#46231 - in reply to #46133)

New User

The Featherlite 9405 has a wood floor compared to an aluminum floor. The 9406 Thoroughbred model is a little longer trailer in the horse compartment with 89" compared to 84" on the 9405.
Ms. Trailer
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-08 1:04 PM (#46232 - in reply to #46229)

Regular

Originally written by kcgold on 2006-08-08 12:37 PM

WOW !!! I'd almost believe you've scanned the forum for "most controversial items" (-: MY preference is FOR ramps, preferably on both sides as well as the back. MY preference would be Hawk over Featherlite. "I" don't know what a "Beginner trailer" would have as user features that would be absent on an "intermediate" or "advanced owner's" trailer. Come to think of it, I don't know what features those would have that would be absent on the "beginner's" models (-: regards, puzzled in Mass apologies if I brought up any touchy subjects, wasn't trying to....I did go through some of the archives to see if my questions had already been answered, but couldn't find anything - maybe I'm not very good at the search thing. I saw the Featherlite referred to that way in an ad, I think it just meant a good "starter" trailer for first time owners. thanks for your advice, Kathy

By the advertising, they just mean that it is a very popular trailer for first time owners, just as you had taken it. Here is the wording on Featherlite's website:

Model 9405, a 2-horse straight load, is a premier choice for first-time horse owners. It’s also a great option for those who require a second trailer for shorter trips or visits to the veterinarian. Shown with optional rear ramp, double rear doors above.

Notice they don't use the word "beginner". I also don't see where she was trying to be 'controversial' in her post.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-08 2:44 PM (#46233 - in reply to #46133)

Extreme Veteran

Kathy,......What kind of riding will you be doing?....How far will you be hauling to ride?....What are you using as a tow rig?

Edited by xyzer 2006-08-08 2:45 PM
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-08 8:50 PM (#46248 - in reply to #46211)

Veteran

Kathy,

I've a 2000 Hawk deluxe. It's a 2H GN with weekender quarters and I love it. I'm pulling it with a 1999 half ton Chevy Silverado Z71 with towing package. I'd recommend at least a three quarter ton pickup for the Hawk. I've plenty of power with 5.3 liter, V8 but have concluded that I would be safer with a more muscular suspension and brakes. I concluded that after reading many posts on this website!

I love mine. My brother and nephew, who own and work in their own steel trailer company, told me it is top of the line. Go back and search this
website for the writeup by Mr. Truck on Hawk Trailers.

My Hawk is a steel trailer with an aluminum skine, fiberglass roof, wood floor, rear collapsible tack. It has a full sized escape door, roof hatches, many windows which all have screens and can be opened. It's very light and airy inside and I've never had a horse refuse to get in. The fiberglass roof helps keep it cooler than a steel or aluminum. It also has a rubber bumper pad across the back edge in case a horse hits a shin on it getting in or out.

IT IS A STEP-IN TRAILER, NO RAMP. I've seen a horse who was not wanting to get into the trailer fall off a ramp so am not a big fan. Your horse may need a little training in stepping in and out. They sometimes balk when they back up and put that first foot out and find nothing there behind them. But a little patience and training before you actually haul your horse should take care of that.

There are many quality horse trailer manufacturers whichever one you select. Just think about what you want before buying. I found reading the used trailer ads by private owner on Horse Trailer World to be a wonderful resource. Good luck.

Cynthia
inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 8:37 AM (#46261 - in reply to #46133)

Veteran

You may also want to look at a Trail-et. The step up or ramp is a big issue in that some hate one or the other, people that is. Just picked up a new horse in Canada and wife and I were getting a little concerned about her loading until we thought about it. Horse kept trying to rear we thought, after thinking about it we realize she was trying to load but could not figure how to jump in. Spent about a half hour maybe more to get her to walk up the ramp. The noise that they make coming up the ramp, or the give unsettles them at first. The horse would get one or maybe front feet on the ramp and back off. Fourth time that she got both front feet on the ramp she just walked in. Patience is the key when working a horse to load in either case. Teach your horse how at home, you always have extra time there.

And the other thing is one more item in a final check before driving off. Know someone who drove about a half a block with the ramp down.
kcgold
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-09 3:52 PM (#46306 - in reply to #46133)

New User

xyzer...we have a F-350 (3/4 ton) and a Dodge Ram 3500 dually....so should be okay for most any 2 horse trailer :). Thanks Cynthia and inWa for the advice, and I will check on both those brands. This is a great resource! Kathy

Edited by kcgold 2006-08-09 3:53 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)