'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Living Quarter camping questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-06-04 10:39 AM
13 replies, 12259 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Wendy
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2013-05-22 6:23 PM (#152218)
Subject: Living Quarter camping questions

OK folks I need knowledge...

I am looking at moving up to a full living quarter horse trailer and I have a few questions.

One of the reasons that I want a living quarter trailer is to be able to camp at locations with no water or elec. In doing this I know I will have to haul water with me. How much added weight should I figure a tank of water would be? Also in going to these places with no water and elec. there is also no dump stations. What do I do with the "you know"? I can't bring it home and dump it into my toilet, so what do you do? If there is any other tidbits of knowledge I should keep in mind as I shop, please share.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and knowledge.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2013-05-22 7:11 PM (#152219 - in reply to #152218)
Subject: RE: Living Quarter camping questions

Expert

Water weighs about 8.3 lbs per gallon.  If you have a 40 gallon tank  40 x 8.3 = 332 lbs

You need to find a dumps station on your way home and "Dump" the contents out of your holding tanks.

Camp grounds, RV dealers,  Truck Stops are some place that often have dump stations.

For me there is big RV dealer about 5 miles from my house. They have a RV dump that is a service to their customers. It is available 24 hour day, So I just swing by on my way home and empty the tanks

RidnClyde
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2013-05-23 7:21 AM (#152225 - in reply to #152218)

Regular

Besides what PH mentioned, you might look in to solar for battery charging.  I know a lot of people use their generator but depending on what you plan to run (microwave or A/C) and for how many days, my solar panel meets my needs.

As for the dumping, some have a separate access pipe in their yard directly to their septic tank and where they park the rig.  When they get home the simply hook up and clean-out their tank.

goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-05-24 4:45 AM (#152237 - in reply to #152218)

Veteran

Your black tank you will have to find a dumping station. For the grey water, you may be able to run a hose to an area you just run it out. This would be no different than a cowboy shower. We put a cap on the grey water tank that allowed a common garden hose to be attached and run it to the woods. Make sure you check with the local campground to make sure you can do this though. We have not had anyone tell us no as of yet.
I would recommend a hay rack if you are going to go primitive camping. You can put an additional water tank in it. We have a 48 gallon tank up there. You can either use it for the horse water, or run a hose to your inside tank and refill when it gets low.
A portable generator will give you power.
Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2013-05-28 3:06 PM (#152296 - in reply to #152218)

Veteran

Black "holding" tank is the toilet waste.  Gray tank is simply soapy water from sinks and shower.  You can also purchase blue totes and empty your tanks from the trailer into the totes.  Take the totes somewhere that has a dump.  Yes, it's an extra step but it gets the job done.  We live 15 miles out of town. The closest "dump" we've found to our house is at the regular RV dealer but of course, it's not convenient to get our 39-foot rig in and out of there so we use the totes.  And yes, there are websites that list locations. I've used rvdumps.com.  Although, most of that info is entered by users and you can't guaranty accuracy.  I know of a couple where the rest stop was renovated and the dumps weren't re-opened.  Do keep in mind that most dump stations have a fee (unless it's a regular campground and you were guests there).
paysonw
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2013-05-29 11:29 AM (#152310 - in reply to #152218)

Regular

You may want to check out the Sewer Solution, it is great because you can dump at home.  It is a much cleaner solution that I have been using for 4-5 years and really like it.  You can dump uphill (slightly) using 1" PVC and you can also use regular TP in the stool.  Great answer to a nasty issue!

http://www.sewersolution.com/ 

goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-05-29 3:31 PM (#152317 - in reply to #152218)

Veteran

How does that allow you to dump at home unless you have a septic tank and connection?
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2013-05-29 3:36 PM (#152318 - in reply to #152218)

Veteran

I dry camp often. I added a hay rack with two 35 gallon tanks and a 35 gallon tank in the side tack room. I have a hose I use to fill my water tanks in the RV from the roof. I water the horses in the creek (if there is one) The biggest change is I changed EVERY bulb to LED, inside and out, even the one in the fridge and range hood. It made a huge difference in how long the batteries last. I run my Honda 3000 in the morning to make coffee (maybe 30 to 45 minutes) and I can camp as long as I want. I dump Grey water on the ground and either closely watch the black tank level or use waste bags if I want to stay out more than 30 days. For hot showers turn off the water heater before you shower and use only the hot water you already made, its enough for 3 to shower. No sense heating water as your using the hot water. You will learn other tricks to make things last.
paysonw
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2013-05-30 11:01 AM (#152335 - in reply to #152317)

Regular

Originally written by Goz63 on 2013-05-29 2:31 PM

How does that allow you to dump at home unless you have a septic tank and connection?

I do have a septic tank and there is an adapter provided to dump in a 3" or 4" septic cleanout. If you are on city sewer would you have an accessible cleanout?  I have not lived in town for a very long time.  You do need a certain amount of water pressure to dump, maybe 20 PSI, so some trailer pumps may not be enough.  I just hook to the house or a hydrant.

Even if you are dumping at a dump station or connected at a campground, I believe this is the best way to go.  IMHO

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2013-05-30 12:13 PM (#152341 - in reply to #152218)

Extreme Veteran

Aren't most houses made with a clean out?I know when I was working construction, the clean out was one of the first pieces we assembled on the rough plumbing. I have a septic tank now, and just run the drain into the clean out on top of the lid for the tank. ( I did have a stand pipe, and cap, on top so the guy could pump with out digging every time.)
AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2013-05-30 12:23 PM (#152342 - in reply to #152218)

Veteran

All houses have cleanouts...when I used to have a pool, I was advised that if I wanted to use the cleanouts when I drained or backwashed, I needed to use the one closest to the house. I was on city services then. I am sure it is the same. Now, our country house is 'up on a hill' for flooding, so I have to dig out the cleanouts 3' below the surface and trench to the drive for the trailer. Thank goodness for jackhammers.
paysonw
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2013-05-30 12:51 PM (#152343 - in reply to #152342)

Regular

Originally written by AZgrulla on 2013-05-30 11:23 AM

All houses have cleanouts...when I used to have a pool, I was advised that if I wanted to use the cleanouts when I drained or backwashed, I needed to use the one closest to the house. I was on city services then. I am sure it is the same. Now, our country house is 'up on a hill' for flooding, so I have to dig out the cleanouts 3' below the surface and trench to the drive for the trailer. Thank goodness for jackhammers.

I have considered burying PVC in the backyard from the parking area to the septic tank, another summer project!  I have dumped mine at times by connecting 50' to 60' of 1" PVC to the SS if I don't want to move the trailer, usually I use the 10' hose with the SS and about 20' of PVC.  This is pretty level ground, as mentioned you can dump slightly uphill, how much would depend how far you are going and your water pressure.The last step is to rinse with clean water so there is very little nasty to deal with.

pchoofinit
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-05-30 8:33 PM (#152360 - in reply to #152218)

I know that Cabelas has a dump station and most "rest areas" off the major turnpikes too.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2013-06-04 10:39 AM (#152453 - in reply to #152218)

Elite Veteran

LQ trailers have both AC and DC electrical. DC runs off batteries, AC is 110v shore power. Your lights and forced air furnace will run on either. Air conditioners, most TV's and microwaves are AC only, meaning you will only be able to use them if you are plugged into 110v shore power or running off a generator. Solar panels will keep the batteries charged if you are using lights and furnace, but if you want to run your air conditioner, TV or microwave (or anything else that plugs into wall sockets), you will need a generator if you won't have hookups. You can use an inverter to run 110v items off your batteries, but for very brief periods only.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)