'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Considerations (in General) and Maverick Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-02 3:10 PM
13 replies, 7949 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelrunner66
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-02-20 9:29 AM (#141242)
Subject: Trailer Considerations (in General) and Maverick Trailers

Regular

All, I've been scouring the forums looking for opinions and/or feedback from anyone who owns one of these trailers. I was at the Dixie Nationals this past weekend and came across one. They are steel frames with aluminum skins. The one we are considering is a 3H, 15' LQ with slide, 2012 model. The interior was laid out really well - all the creature comforts one could want. My husband seemed to think the workmanship, as far as the woodwork and all was concerned, was pretty good. First, I'd really like to hear from anyone who know about these trailers. (I have read the posts about the company concerns). Additionally, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the following as it pertains to trailers in general. What are your thoughts about:
  • Steel / Aluminum trailers (are some good & some bad?) What do you look for or is this a STAY AWAY thing?
  • Rumber floors? They seem okay...anyone have them? Thoughts?
  • Slide outs? More trouble than they are worth? They add a good deal of floor space...? Thoughts?
  • If I'm going to compare steel frames, what things should I compare between trailers?
  • Specific concerning the Mavericks: Thoughts/opinions on the horse area? I looked through and surfaces seemed smooth and well-padded
Any other thoughts, opinions, or things to consider when shopping would be greatly appreciated. I sincerely welcome thoughts and opinions - because I certainly don't know it all. :) I have always said I'd stay away from the steel/aluminum combo, but these seem nice AT FIRST GLANCE so I'm interested in doing some further investigation before completely ruling them out...? Thanks so much,barrelrunner66
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-02-20 10:25 AM (#141244 - in reply to #141242)
Subject: RE: Trailer Considerations (in General) and Maverick Trailers

Expert

Spend some time with the "SEARCH" option for the last year, and you will find many discussions about the topics you've mentioned.
barrelrunner66
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-02-20 10:35 AM (#141246 - in reply to #141244)

Regular

Thanks, Gard. I'll try again with the SEARCH. I wasn't as successful as I had hoped when I tried yesterday.. :)
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-02-22 10:48 AM (#141312 - in reply to #141242)

Expert

As in all things, some items are designed better than others.

I suggest that you ask for the names & phone numbers of other Maverick brand trailer owners and contact them, specifically.

Something to be sure to consider, is what company did the INTERIOR. What is THEIR track record. 

I think that the majority of trailer dealers know that their future sales are based on how they treat their current & past customers. People don't buy trailers every few years, so word of mouth is very important to increase customer base.

So far as alum over steel. That is the only way I would buy an alum trailer, unless I needed a 6 horse or larger. Alum siding does not hold up to horses kicking. Steel interior lower walls with alum exterior is very good. (Although I have witnessed first hand, the damage done by a 1000 pound QH that kicked through rubber lining, insulation, & 2 layers of alum.)

To get the same strength from alum as steel, more alum is needed, along with more welds, joints, and seams.

Flooring in horse area: I have heard what it sounds like when alum flooring is used. I would never have an alum floor. Always treated wood or rumber.

there are good slide-outs and bad slide-outs. I know that the gears/ mechanisms can have failures just as anything else. How easy is it to repair or slide back in, without the gear box?

I see many RV manufacturers adding an "awning" over the slide-out due to potential rain/snow leak problems. If you live in the SW where there is hardly any rain or snow - no problem. If you live in an area where more than half the year has precipitation, consider strongly the advantages and disadvantages. How much worse can another 4 feet in length to the trailer be versus a slide-out? Probably less weight - but more turning radius needed. 

Also - if you don't stay anyplace for longer than 2 days, the slide-out could be more work than it's worth. An outside awning with a woven mat for a floor, makes a nice living area too. If you have electric, you can still operate a fan, outside. ; )

So far as checking the horse area; did you operate all doors / dividers, vents, and windows? How easy or difficult are they? Are dividers solid or with bars? Do you need a stallion panel for the first stall in order to store hay or other equipment in the first stall?  Is it insulated or not? How easy/hard is the tack area? Can it be dismantled quickly if necessary for an emergency? Can you reach the saddle racks?

Is there enough clearance UNDER the trailer for all the tanks and plumbing? How high is the step-up / step-down to the horse area? Can YOU easily step into it or do you need a step?

Good Luck.  I know some folks spend a good deal of time IN their trailers; while others don't ... so that part of it is your preference.  I know many who have simply bought a Motor Home and haul a small bumper pull for the horses.

barrelrunner66
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-02-22 11:19 AM (#141317 - in reply to #141312)

Regular

First of all, Gabz, thank you for taking the time to answer. This is very kind of you.

The first point you make - talk to other owners - I am in the process of doing. So far, they seem to like the trailers but have had a fair share of issues with details of construction on one brand I'm researching. I will continue to do this. :)

You make an interesting point about the steel/aluminum mix. I will continue to research this - I've heard it before but think it warrants some more thought on my part. Thank you.

Slides - I WILL need to check to see what happens in the case of a motor failure. I haven't considered that one. DUH. And shame on me. Thank you for that insight!! Sure would be easier to find a suitable trailer if I wasn't looking for a slide! lol

I do a good deal of trail riding and clearance under the trailer is important. One of the trailers I've been considering is a bit low, I think. Can I ask question - as far as dragging the trailer and/or tearing up the plumbing, is there an ideal location to have it? In front of the tires? further up? I've heard of people adding rollers on the underside of the tail end of the trailer to keep it from dragging...but what about the plumbing if it's in front of the tires? Just a thought.

Again, thank you so much for your things to consider list. :) It is very helpful.

barrelrunner66

Edited by barrelrunner66 2012-02-22 11:22 AM
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-02-24 10:34 PM (#141405 - in reply to #141317)

Expert

I can't vouch for the best place for plumbing ... but do consider that whichever SIDE the FILL is on, is also the electric and dump.  I recommend you talk this situation over with whomever you are buying from.

Okay... the more weight on the trailer, the bigger the axles and the larger the wheel and tire. At least you better hope so! 

The larger the wheel and tire, the higher the rig sits. The higher the rig sits, the more clearance underneath you have. The higher the rig sits, the higher the step up/ step down is for the horse.

The higher the rig sits, the higher your saddle racks AND BRIDLE racks will be. Remember, you'll be standing on the ground!

Make sense?

RE: Slide outs. These started in the RV world - you know, that place where people pull into Good Sam "campgrounds" (with pools, game rooms, picnic tables, grills, etc.) and plug in their RV. Not necessarily reliant on battery power. Learn all you can about operating them - especially when camping.

P.S. My trailer plumbing consists of a length of garden hose from my little bar sink, through the floor, and a porta-potty lined with a plastic bag with shavings in it! ; )  But I've witnessed ripped out gray water tanks at both show grounds and trail heads. Taller tires, more clearance - every inch counts.

barrelrunner66
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-02-28 11:38 AM (#141533 - in reply to #141405)

Regular

Originally written by gabz on 2012-02-24 10:34 PM

I can't vouch for the best place for plumbing ... but do consider that whichever SIDE the FILL is on, is also the electric and dump.  I recommend you talk this situation over with whomever you are buying from.

Okay... the more weight on the trailer, the bigger the axles and the larger the wheel and tire. At least you better hope so! 

The larger the wheel and tire, the higher the rig sits. The higher the rig sits, the more clearance underneath you have. The higher the rig sits, the higher the step up/ step down is for the horse.

The higher the rig sits, the higher your saddle racks AND BRIDLE racks will be. Remember, you'll be standing on the ground!

Make sense?

RE: Slide outs. These started in the RV world - you know, that place where people pull into Good Sam "campgrounds" (with pools, game rooms, picnic tables, grills, etc.) and plug in their RV. Not necessarily reliant on battery power. Learn all you can about operating them - especially when camping.

P.S. My trailer plumbing consists of a length of garden hose from my little bar sink, through the floor, and a porta-potty lined with a plastic bag with shavings in it! ; )  But I've witnessed ripped out gray water tanks at both show grounds and trail heads. Taller tires, more clearance - every inch counts.

First of all - sorry for the late reply, Gabz!

This is good info, and yes, it all does make sense. I appreciate it!

I've heard of using kitty litter, but not shavings!! Love it!!

Thanks again!

Edited by barrelrunner66 2012-02-28 11:39 AM
B_Ellzey
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-02-28 10:41 PM (#141548 - in reply to #141242)

If you have been looking at Sundowners, here is a piece of advice from a dealer who repairs them. Stay away from any serial number ending in 7. These can be found on Alum/steel combinations. He claims to have repaired a lot of them where the floors fell out. I personally don't know. Just repeating what I was told after I had purchased another brand trailer.
barrelrunner66
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-02-29 8:21 AM (#141554 - in reply to #141548)

Regular

Originally written by B_Ellzey on 2012-02-28 10:41 PM

If you have been looking at Sundowners, here is a piece of advice from a dealer who repairs them. Stay away from any serial number ending in 7. These can be found on Alum/steel combinations. He claims to have repaired a lot of them where the floors fell out. I personally don't know. Just repeating what I was told after I had purchased another brand trailer.

Actually, I don't know how true/accurate it is - but I, too, read an article on another website about some of the older trailers with the aluminum/steel combination made by SD. Unless I'm mistaken, it was late 90's...early 2000's. Again, not sure on accuracy but did read a story about a similar subject.

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2012-02-29 8:54 AM (#141555 - in reply to #141548)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by B_Ellzey on 2012-02-28 10:41 PM If you have been looking at Sundowners, here is a piece of advice from a dealer who repairs them. Stay away from any serial number ending in 7. These can be found on Alum/steel combinations. He claims to have repaired a lot of them where the floors fell out. I personally don't know. Just repeating what I was told after I had purchased another brand trailer.

It is MODEL NUMBER ending in 7, not serial number. And not all of the affected units had numerical designations. Many were simply "Valulite".

And many are just fine. And some, not so much. But then again they are pushing up to 13 years old too.

Edited by horsey1 2012-02-29 8:56 AM
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-02-29 9:15 AM (#141556 - in reply to #141242)

Extreme Veteran

Many of our distance riders, who often camp in areas that are not known for perfect roads in and out of camp, have had skid plates installed over the plumbing to prevent it from being knocked off. I'd prefer a lower trailer and skid plate than a higher one to prevent the plumbing to be vulnerable.
barrelrunner66
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-02-29 9:19 AM (#141557 - in reply to #141556)

Regular

Originally written by trot-on on 2012-02-29 9:15 AM

Many of our distance riders, who often camp in areas that are not known for perfect roads in and out of camp, have had skid plates installed over the plumbing to prevent it from being knocked off. I'd prefer a lower trailer and skid plate than a higher one to prevent the plumbing to be vulnerable.
EXCELLENT idea!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2012-02-29 3:06 PM (#141566 - in reply to #141242)

Elite Veteran

I would not want another one without a slide out, it adds so much more room inside
kenoble
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2012-03-02 3:10 PM (#141618 - in reply to #141242)

We bought a 3 horse with 10ft LQ 1 1/2 years ago. I really do love the layout of my trailer and it hauls nicely behind our 3/4 ton truck. We have had issues with it that have varied from a few major to minor repairs. At one point we did send our trailer back to the factory for the major repairs. They did a great job of working with us to reduce our down time and return our trailer to us (we were without for one week). Maverick is still working out some kinks and seem to be willing to do whatever is needed to make sure their customers are happy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)