'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Must haves for hauling horses

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-23 9:30 PM
13 replies, 8312 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Scoutman
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-19 1:49 PM (#112080)
Subject: Must haves for hauling horses

New User

Hey everyone, my wife and I just bought a steel GN 4 horse straight load trailer with small LQ and are new to trailering horses.  I'm trying to get this new equipment outfitted and am wondering what are some of the must haves for hauling.  We plan to do some overnight and weekend rides as well as use this rig for camping.  The front wall is straight. 

Items like water and feed buckets, what works best?  Container and scooper for waste? 

The things I've been working on...

Going through the brakes and axle bearings. 

I flipped the springs over the axle to raise it a bit so it sits level with the truck.  The horses didn't mind the extra height. 

There are some wireing things that I want to change and increase storage efficiency. 

The trailer didn't have ANY safety chains on it so I've got to get those put on ASAP. 

Tires are in desperate need of replacing.  Wheels could use some TLC too.

I'll try to get some picts posted.  Thanks for any help.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-10-19 2:00 PM (#112082 - in reply to #112080)
Subject: RE: Must haves for hauling horses

Expert

For the horses-bucketslead ropes and haltersfeed ( toss in more than you'll use since its likely will need it)first aid kitall your tack needed plus a few extra for things that might break. I tend to leave things like the halters,leads,grooming supplies and tack in the trailer so i don't forget to pack them up.bedding ( a bag of shavings or bale of straw)fresh water or bring a hose for hook upYou can add to the list as you go and figure out what you'll needPeopleI always buy a extra hairdryer,curling iron/flat iron as well as bathroom and shower needs and leave them in the LQ, again so I don't forget to pack it or have to run out of the house to get it. You can buy a set of plastic drawers to put your clothes in ( if you have the room) Buy dry goods to stock the cupboards and add matches/lighter,scissors and kitchen needs which you can buy used at a resale/salvation army store.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-10-19 2:14 PM (#112084 - in reply to #112080)

Elite Veteran

I like the collapsible leaf barrels. You can buy them from a lumber yard or Walmart for about half the price of the ones in the tack catalogs. Great for mucking but takes up no room. Same with folding cart if you would have a need for something like that to lug hay/tack. Hard to have too many lead ropes. Like the other poster, I keep a duplicate set of things in my trailer year round-fly spray, first aid, extra bit/halter/bridle. I have a chain with rope snaps on either end I use a door hold-nothing else has held up to a Kansas wind. Also good for tying dogs to for short periods of time. Rubbermaid tubs for storing and sitting on. Battery operated lanterns are handy.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-10-19 2:46 PM (#112088 - in reply to #112080)

Expert

A sharp knife on your person to cut a trailer tie, rope, lead line, or halter in case of an emergency...

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-10-19 2:59 PM (#112090 - in reply to #112080)

Extreme Veteran

A "trailer buddy". It is a small ramp type deal that you drive the trailer up onto if you need to change your trailer tire. Also, US Rider. I have never had to use them, but friends have and it was very nice to have someone haul their truck and trailer w/horses when their truck was giving them problems. US Rider will also come to change the tire, but I still carry the "trailer buddy" in my truck so that I have it no matter which trailer I am hauling.
adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-10-19 3:39 PM (#112094 - in reply to #112080)

Veteran

-Fire extinguisher-First Aid kit - human and equine-Flares, safety triangle-portable corrals-maybe horse blankets depending on the location/season
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-10-19 4:04 PM (#112096 - in reply to #112080)

Expert

Make sure all of your light are in working order and add  a couple of load lights to the top rail if you do not have any.  They are great for changing flats on a dark road, loading or unloading, even good for getting your camp set up for the weekend.

We have 2 small ones on the rear (factory) and I just added 1 larger light to each side. Cheap at Tractor Supply Co.

sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-10-19 6:02 PM (#112100 - in reply to #112080)

Extreme Veteran

Don't forget the hay Bags!!!!!   I use a fold up cart with a muck bucket that sits in it.  Great for hauling your stuff back and forth to the stalls, If your going to stall.  I'm like the other posts above.  I have everything I think I'll need in the trailer, and it stays there.   Have Fun.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-10-20 9:13 PM (#112151 - in reply to #112080)

Expert

http://www.usrider.org/index2.html

And don't forget your member number and your cell phone...

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-10-20 9:57 PM (#112159 - in reply to #112080)

Expert

us rider has a check list on the site that should help you with thing to bring with you  I have used then and they were great to work with

Edited by loveduffy 2009-10-20 9:58 PM
Scoutman
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-21 2:29 PM (#112199 - in reply to #112080)

New User

Thanks for the responses.  I'll definitely be adding more lights and upgrading the lights that are there.  Since a lot of our camping will be done in this trailer I'll be keeping most of our camping gear in there as well as the extras that have been posted. 

We'll probably be making a trip to Tractor Supply soon. 

Also, I need tires.  Got to find some rated for the load. 

sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-10-23 12:59 PM (#112289 - in reply to #112096)

Veteran

Everyone is going to give you a different list as our preferances differ.  Just load your living quarters with everything you use and need daily in your home.  Live it in there and you are never without.  When you get ready to camp, just add  your favorite clothes, coats, etc. ( we keep our closest full of camping clothes)  and what perashable food items you need in frig.  Keep canned food, paper items, etc. already stored in your "other house".  The horse department isn't much different.  We keep all our tack and gear in the trailer as we have great storage for them.  Keep muck buckets, firewood, grills, all "dirty" camping stuff in extra horse stall.  Then before you go camping just add fresh feed (we keep feed in 5 gal. buckets with lids), feed tubs, water buckets, hay, jug of water, etc.  Now on the safety, maintance things, my husband loads EVERYTHING he can think of.  Good luck and let us know what ideas you have.  P.S.  The jeffy jack is a must and make sure your tires are very heavy rated for a LQ trailer.  Don't run with the ones that come on your rig.  We learned from experience with 2 blow outs on same Interstate on trailer. 
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-10-23 5:28 PM (#112295 - in reply to #112080)

Expert

A 12 v test light, spare tire, 4 way lug wrench (verify it fits the trailer lugs), a long length of rope for a high line, tree savers straps.  Everyone old enough should have a knife on them at all times, and it is good to leave an inexpensive lock open serrated edge knife hanging close to the horse high-line, or other tie area.  Get with your vet and have a simple kit of vet wrap, wound wash, banamine paste and bute paste.  I like to take some stake style solar lights to place at each end of my awning.  Some safety triangle reflectors for setting beside the road for emergency stops etc.  Fly spray, and mosquito repellent.  zip ties and duct tape are useful items, too.  A manure fork is great, cut offs for water hoses.  Your needs will be customized by the type of riding/camp you do etc.  Flashlights and those lights that fight on your hat or head are also handy, as are muck shoes/boots for wet grass treks to do chores.
Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-10-23 9:30 PM (#112304 - in reply to #112295)

Veteran

Originally written by flyinghfarm on 2009-10-23 5:28 PM

Flashlights and those lights that fight on your hat or head are also handy, as are muck shoes/boots for wet grass treks to do chores.

Maybe I'm just strange, but I don't want a "fighting" light on my head. LOL That sounds painful!!!! Hee,hee,hee.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)