'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Easy Food Items

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-06 9:04 AM
13 replies, 5468 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-01-28 9:21 AM (#98389)
Subject: Easy Food Items

Veteran

I plan to do a lot of camping this year (as I PLAN to every year!) and I wind up breaking the bank on food for all the weekend trail rides.  I thought it might be useful to list some low-cost, or easy to prepare food items that are good to take camping.  I like things that won't spoil so I can just stock the trailer and know that they're available

Ramen noodle soup

Frozen pizzas/pizza bites/frozen taco roll things to throw in oven

Lipton noodles in a bag (the kind you just boil water and add some butter)

Coffee singles (like tea bags, only coffee)

Canned spaghetti/ravioli  (or if you're feeding a bunch, a box of pasta is easy to cook. Just heat up a jar of sauce)

Instant oatmeal (the little flavored ones are good)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-01-28 10:00 AM (#98393 - in reply to #98389)
Subject: RE: Easy Food Items

Expert

I keep some basics in the trailer.  canned chili, ramen noodles, popcorn, bottled water and some pop, the small packs of instant flavored oatmeal.

But I prefer to eat more fresh stuff.  So I usually bring a pork chop, fillet of salmon, chicken breast etc and cook those with soem kind of veggie.  I also throw in some of those bags of ready made salads. During the summer, I'll grab veggie out of the garden, onions, yellow and green squash, tomatos, green beans. It only takes a minute to grab them and they cost nothing. If I don't use the veggies, they go in the garbage, no big loss.

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-01-28 10:22 AM (#98396 - in reply to #98389)

Extreme Veteran

You may find it more cost effective to buy some bulk packaged items and repack them for your trailer.  It is usually the items that are packaged as smaller servings that are more expensive. For example, you could go to a Sams Club or Costco type of store and buy the big box of popcorn and put several packages in your trailer.  Same thing with the Ramen noodles etc....

I too like to keep some things in the trailer at all times for those unexpected campouts or longer than planned rides.  Don't forget Beanie Weenies, they travel well.

Happy Trails,

JacciB

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-01-28 10:27 AM (#98397 - in reply to #98389)

Extreme Veteran

I cook at home ahead of time!!  I usually do a pork roast and chip it up at home.  Put it in one of those disposable gladware containers and stick it in the fridge of cooler.  Easy BBQ sandwiches.  I have done the same thing with spaghetti sauce and chili.  I purchase the jugs made to fit in refrigerator doors and fill them with the sauce or chili fixings.  I plug up the crock pot; pour in and heat it up.  Good easy hot meals.  I enjoy riding more than cooking so preparing ahead of time makes it easier to enjoy real meals without a lot of prep time.  Cooking biscuits or cornbread at home and then put them in a gallon ziploc bag.  Easy to store and heat up.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-01-29 1:06 PM (#98445 - in reply to #98389)

Veteran

I also use the crock pot a lot while camping. Throw a beef roast, potatoes, carrots, onion and a qt. of homemade tomatoe juice. Or a whole chicken. Then we can eat of off this a couple days. Throw a pork steak and potaoe over the fire. I also do the bq pork and spegetti.
I don't like to get in from riding and have to cook, that's why I try to prepare before hand if not using crock pot.
Happy Safe Trials
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-01-29 6:08 PM (#98471 - in reply to #98389)

Elite Veteran

I also cook at home.. Favorites being chili, spagetti sauce with elbow macaroni, easy to eat stuff.. However, I usually always bring a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and usually hot dogs to cook on my little Coleman grill.. Sometimes I fix them, sometimes I don't.. It just depends on how I feel.  I don't usually camp for more than 2 nights, tho.. I usually can't be away from home longer than that..
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-01-29 6:46 PM (#98474 - in reply to #98389)

Extreme Veteran

Ditto on the salmon.  Pan seared with apple rings.  I enjoy cooking in my cast iron fry pan.  Steaks and chicken are common for us.  Lots of veggies.  We try to prepare lunch items at home but we love our suppers.  We brought Lobsters last year on one trip it was a great feast.  We have brought Alaskan king crab legs too. I bring ice cream too.

mmmmm looking foward to spring!

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-01-29 7:58 PM (#98487 - in reply to #98389)

Elite Veteran

I use the crock-pot for stew or chili too. I always have a large can of Beef Stew, tuna, boxed mac and Cheese (the kind with cheese you squeeze), canned veggies, hamburger helper, and pancake mix with syrup.

For trail snacks I keep teddy grahms, granola bars, fruit roll-ups, and mixed nuts that I put into ziplock baggies. I buy bulk from Aldi's and keep all the above items in the trailer over the riding season.

I use a toaster a lot too. Makes nice egg/tuna salad sanwiches for lunch.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-01-30 3:30 PM (#98544 - in reply to #98389)

Extreme Veteran

Crock pots are a marvelous invention, provided that you have electricity,but if you have a nice camp-style dutch oven, you can cook your roast, pinto beans, pork chops, or what-have-you in the ground while you are riding.  By cooking in the ground there is no need for someone to stay behind to keep an eye on the fire.  Just seal the seam between the lid and body of the dutch oven with foil.  Dig a hole big enough to set the oven into and about twice as deep.  Place a shovel full of coals in the bottom of the hole, lower the oven into the hole, put another shovel of coals on top and cover with dirt.  By the time you return in the afternoon, dinner is done to perfection.

Marla

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-01-30 4:59 PM (#98549 - in reply to #98389)

Expert

Coleman makes a propane powered crockpot!  Yes!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-02-03 9:01 AM (#98693 - in reply to #98389)

I use an electric roaster alot......put in a large piece of meat, turn it on, go riding, viola' dinner is ready when we get back. We try to stock up on things like turkeys during the holidays and have roast turkey in the summer. I like Aldi's too for stock up stuff. Alsways on the lookout for bargains on things like packets of rice. And the crockpot is wonderful, usually make beans at home and then just reheat......reminds me of the "bean scene".............
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-02-03 12:30 PM (#98711 - in reply to #98693)

Extreme Veteran

I LOVE pinto beans with a nice soft, warm flour tortilla.  Add a little sharp cheddar, some green chile, sour cream if you have it.  Wonderful!

Marla

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-02-03 2:08 PM (#98715 - in reply to #98389)

Expert

No Electric for me.

I always take a package of large flour tortillas. Slap a coating of mayo on one, then add some cooked bacon, or sliced meats, cheese, lettuce. Roll up and pack in a trail bag.  Or, fill with mixed tuna. Or fill with egg salad. Or chicken salad.

Or - cook some eggs, crumbled sausage, put in a flour tortilla that has been heated with cheese on it.

Hardboiled eggs. (cook at home). 

Take boneless chicken breasts, slice into 3 or 4 long pieces. Marinate and then freeze. Take the frozen chicken with you. Let it thaw in your cooler or refrig. Skewer or cook on a grill.  (I use 1/3 cup oil, 1/3 cup cooking sherry, 1/3 cup soy sauce; crushed garlic, pinch of ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ginger) This one is really good, because you can prepare it days beforehand.

Par boil some potatoes (in other words, only cook a little bit). Then, cut in half and grill. Spread some melted butter with garlic, or soy sauce, or worcestershire sauce on the potato when it's nearly finished grilling.

Precook ground beef, loose, and freeze. Thaw in refrig or cooler. Warm up in a pan, mix with cheese or barbecue sauce. Or add a can of vegetables. Or a can of enchilada sauce. Or picante sauce. Or beans. : ) serve on rolls.

and dutch oven concoctions are always great.  Kielbasa works well in the ovens with potatoes. Or a big hunk of ham.

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-02-06 9:04 AM (#98919 - in reply to #98389)

Veteran

Anyone ever try the plastic baggie omelettes?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)