'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone rode into Grand Canyon on your own animals?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-10 10:40 AM
13 replies, 5694 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-12-26 2:52 PM (#96496)
Subject: Anyone rode into Grand Canyon on your own animals?

Regular

Has anyone rode down into the Grand Canyon on you own animals.  My husband has been wanting to do that on our mules.  So thought I would see what I could find out about it.  Any and all information will be appreciated.  Any suggestions on nearest campgrounds, we could camp with our mules?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-12-26 6:35 PM (#96506 - in reply to #96496)
Subject: RE: Anyone rode into Grand Canyon on your own animals?

Elite Veteran

There was an interesting article from a gal who rode the Grand Canyon last year in Trail Blazer. Maybe someone can locate the issue number. From what I remember, you have to get a permit and will be sharing the trail with the pack mule companies and hikers too. Lots of preparation will be needed for this type of extreme riding.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-12-26 6:44 PM (#96507 - in reply to #96496)

Elite Veteran

You have to apply for a permit only so many are issued each year. My friend's dad did this about 5 yrs ago. While he did enjoy it he said he would not do it again. Way too many hikers and string mules. He said if folks want to do it, they best have horses not only conditioned for the terrain and heat...but also dead broke safe horses. He said he would do it next time on the mule string.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-12-26 6:51 PM (#96508 - in reply to #96496)

Elite Veteran

Here's some great links:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/private-stock.htm

http://www.bobspixels.com/kaibab.org/bc/gc_trail.htm#horsey

Hopefully they will help you.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-12-26 8:36 PM (#96510 - in reply to #96496)

Extreme Veteran

Please understand that YOU are responsible for removing an injured  or dead horse from the canyon.  This cost is far above the cost of taking a mule train trip.  The terrain is extremely rugged, and most recreational riders do not condition their animals to the degree required to navigate the canyon.  Most people seriously underestimate the amount of water and exertion it takes.  The trip down is actually harder than the climb up.  Your animals will use muscles they didn't know they had.   It is possible to hire a tour company to lead a private visit to the canyon, where you don't have to ride with a bunch of people you don't know and quite possibly don't want to know.  Multi-day trips are also possible.  There are several tour companies who could accomodate.  When my brother and I worked in the canyon with the CCC, there were several incidents of people overestimating the abilities of their animals and winding up in a rescue situation.  Not a nice thing!  The previous being said, late fall is the best time to visit.  Very few hikers, fewer mule trains, beautiful weather.

Marla

Edited by Marla 2008-12-26 8:39 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-12-26 8:53 PM (#96513 - in reply to #96496)

Hi Issie

Been wondering what you all have been up to.  How about coming east instead of going west?

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-12-27 6:48 AM (#96528 - in reply to #96496)

Expert

I have not riden into the Grand Canyon.  I have riden into Bryce and Zions as well as Yelowstone. .

As far as the rules. Each park has it's variation of the rules. But they usually include, Health papers at the gate. Certified Weed Free Feed. Most require that you sweep out the trailers. No manure or bedding on the trailer floor .   Once on the trail,  The mule or guide strings have priority over private stock.  If you come head to head with a guide string, You have to get out of the way and allow them to pass. Some areas in Bryce don't allow you off the trail. So allowing the guide string by can mean you backing up the trail 1/2 mile to area where you can get off the side of the trail. Since most riders in a guided string will be novice riders, They don't want them to have to control their animals. It's scary to a novice rider to have their mule turn and follow your horse, because you are headed in the direction of the barn, while their family/friends head off the other way. The burden of animal control is on the private party.

There  are other areas near the parks that offer very scenic rides with out the hassle of bumping into guide strings. I have had friends ride the North Rim trail at Grand Canyon. And from what they told me that's probably a more doable ride vs going down into the canyon.  I have ridden several trails around Bryce and find them much more appealing than actually riding in the park.  In the park you wil pass LOTS of hikers, most form overseas who think that you on a horse are the American Cowboy. They pull out their cameras and stand in the middle of the trail to take you photo.  Once while saddling up on the ThunderMountain trail head, we had a bus pull up and stop. 50 German's climbed out and swarmed us as we tried to get ready to head out. They were sticking cameras between horses legs trying to get just the right shot.  We were lucky nobody got kicked. If you get out of the park, you are not as restricted to "HAVE TO" Stay on the trail.  You want to mosey over to a bluff face, go for it.

The Grand Staircase Escalante National Park is close to Bryce and is unknown to most people. You can ride all day there and not run into anybody else. The San Rafael Swell is north of Bryce and offers some incredible scenry to ride. Not a place I want to be in July-August. But great Spring and Fall rides.

From the San Rafael

Saddlehorse canyon in the San Rafael

Old Woman Canyon in the San Rafael

Red Mountain trail outside of Bryce

Red canyon near Bryce

Kolob Arch trail in Zions

Edited by Painted Horse 2008-12-27 6:57 AM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-12-27 7:53 AM (#96533 - in reply to #96496)

Elite Veteran

You always have the best pictures!
Jellbelle
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-12-27 12:55 PM (#96552 - in reply to #96496)

I'll second that!  You do always have the best pictures!!
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-12-27 1:39 PM (#96557 - in reply to #96528)

Elite Veteran

Beautiful photos! I would love to ride with you!
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-12-31 5:07 PM (#96774 - in reply to #96496)

Regular

Thank you all for your reply's.  Very helpful info.  Loved the pictures.  And the link was great.  Thanks again.  Will let ya'll know what we decide to do. 
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-01-05 6:06 PM (#96985 - in reply to #96496)

Elite Veteran

Hey, It is my understanding that the trails in Grand Canyon will be closed sometime for repair... for several months?? Also, I think the mule trips would be the best bet. Its one of the rides on my "bucket list".
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2009-01-09 8:21 PM (#97231 - in reply to #96496)

Regular

We can't ride the canyon's mule's because they have a weight limit, and my husband is over that by just a little.  So our only choice will be our own mules.  We appreciate all the good advice and will continue to seek information and figure out what to do.  I have to say those pictures that were posted are mighty inviting..  Thanks again all.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-01-10 10:40 AM (#97248 - in reply to #96496)

Expert

Most of those pictures are of areas just a couple hours north of the Grand Canyon.  They are for the most part, unregulated. Meaning you can easily ride your own horses/mules.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)