'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Testing Brake Controller

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-29 10:46 AM
13 replies, 4306 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-09-26 10:28 PM (#92173)
Subject: Testing Brake Controller

Regular

Is there any way to determine if a brake controller has gone bad? It was working last week. Yesterday when I pulled the trailer I had no light glowing on the controller and there was no brake on the trailer. My husband checked all of the connections ect. and all of the parking lights, blinkers, ect are working so I don't think it is the wiring.. but not 100 percent on that. He also checked all of the fuses, nothing is blown. I have a Tekonsha (cant remember the model off hand..but it is the inertia type).
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-27 3:23 AM (#92179 - in reply to #92173)
Subject: RE: Testing Brake Controller

Expert

If the indicator light is not glowing, I would check the main power source at the controller to see if you have 12 volts available. The controller will not effect the running and turn indicator light functions of your trailer; they are hard wired from your truck.

Most trucks have  more than one fuse boxes, and it may be that one was missed during your inspection. By checking power at the controller, you can accurately determine if it has the necessary voltage or not. If it does not have power at the plug under the dash to your Tekonsha, then there is probably a blown fuse that has been overlooked. It could also be that the plug has become unseated, or that if wiring splices were installed, the feed source has become disconnected.

If it is indeed a blown fuse, finding a reason why it blew may be problematic.

Gard

shenyizhi
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-27 4:28 AM (#92183 - in reply to #92173)

New User

trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-09-27 7:45 AM (#92190 - in reply to #92179)

Regular

Thanks Gard, I will give this info to my husband. I realize the controller doesn't effect the lights ect. Reason being I stated that.. we did have a problem with fuses blowing and lights not working a few months ago. After much investigation we found a loose wire on the plug in connection on the truck. After that hunt we are fairly familar with what to look for when fuses are blowing, it just takes a lot time and patience. :-) This truck, which is a 99 Ford 350 Diesel has two fuse boxes. One under the dash..and one under the hood on the drivers side. There are a lot of fuses to check.. he spent quite some time checking those a few days ago..not sure if he checked the power source at the plug though. Thanks again.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-27 9:28 AM (#92198 - in reply to #92173)

Expert

The fuse box under the hood, above the driver's knees, has the fuses for the trailer running lights. I'm not sure where the power source is for the factory installed brake controller wiring. That's why it's easier and faster to check at the plug with a multi meter.

BOL  Gard

trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-27 11:00 AM (#92203 - in reply to #92173)

Regular

If you have power at your truck plug on the brake terminal when you apply truck brakes, then you probably have wiring problem in the trailer. Make sure the ground is good & solid as this causes a lot of problems with brake controls. Check your wiring back to the trailer brakes to see how far power is going and from that you can usually trace out where your problem is. If you have no power behind the trailer plug then look for problems in the trailer plug it self. Good Luck....
trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-09-27 11:15 AM (#92204 - in reply to #92203)

Regular

Good advice.. will be working on it later today and will let you all know what we find. Wiring issues are such a pain.. The trailer is newish 05 Featherlite.. all wiring looks good on it. The truck plug has been an issue off and on.. I am about ready to take it somewhere and have the whole darn thing rewired brand new. The trailer is a 7 way rv type..truck came with 6 way.. so we have to use an adapter. It has been PITA off and on.. and the sad thing is I really don't pull that often. You would think with all just sitting there I wouldn't have issues. But I seem to anyway. Thanks again. :-)
trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-27 11:59 AM (#92207 - in reply to #92204)

Regular

If you're using an adapter, check it also. They have lots of problems as the terminals work loose inside the adapter and they won't make good contact. Highly recommend getting same truck & trailer plug installed so you are plugging in direct. This can save lots of issues with brakes & lights.
trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-09-27 12:18 PM (#92208 - in reply to #92207)

Regular

I agree on the adapter situation. This was where we had a wire work loose earlier this summer. Hubby fixed the issue so I canceled the appt. for adding a new wire/plug from front to back. I believe I will go ahead and remake that appt as I am very tired of issues with the setup.  I have had trailers in the past that required a 6 way..and trailers that require a 7 way. So the adapter was helpful. I have also had issues with different brands of trailers having turn signals opposite. It would be nice if all was universal in regards to plugs ect. Maybe the new models are?? Example: if I hook up a family members 01 Titan to my truck/plug, blinkers are backwards vs what the are on my 05 Featherlite. I have had the same issue with an 03 Kiefer and an 01 Sundowner. Not knocking any trailer.. just seems some of the wiring setups are different which requires switching out wires within the truck plug (hope all of that made sense).

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-27 3:34 PM (#92213 - in reply to #92183)

Elite Veteran

Hon,  Why don't you post on a sex for sale website or something similar?.. We are talking HORSES here, not hoes
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-09-29 10:16 AM (#92273 - in reply to #92173)

Elite Veteran

HUH???
trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-09-29 10:31 AM (#92276 - in reply to #92273)

Regular

genebob.. I am with you on "huh???" 

UPDATE... hubby worked on wiring yesterday. There was power from the truck to the brake controller. Not sure why the controller wasn't working as all of the lights ect were working via the truck plug/adapter/ ect ect. He rewired the female plug- in at the back of the truck to just the 7 way..so no more adapters. Wholla..the controller glowed green and brakes hummed at the wheels. UNLESS I jiggled the trailer plug that was plugged into the 7 way. I suspect the 7 way female end is not holding the trailer plug as tight as it should be. (there are no loose wires connected to the female, it is very tight ect. If the plug is just sitting there.. everything works. Wiggle it a bit..and lights blink. Just my observation on that.. will buy a new one to see if that helps. I live a 1 1/2 miles off of the highway and our road is not smooth by any means. Could be if the female plug is not holding the trailer plug tight.. I am going to continue to have issues??

IN re-checking all of the lights ect after doing away with the adapter...   one marker light will not cooperate. There is power to the unit. We can pop the light off of the unit and plug it into another marker light unit and it works. If we plug it back into it's original slot it won't work. But..there is power there.   Any ideas on that one? We cleaned up everything we could to make sure there was a good seat....still no luck. ( I hope all of that made sense)

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-29 10:40 AM (#92279 - in reply to #92173)

Expert

Sounds like you have everything under control. Buy a replacement light ( sounds like the socket is bad) and replace it. It's a five minute job and saves a lot of headache later. Many light assemblies styles are available in led configurations. They are more water proof and seem to hold up quite well. We use them on trailers that are completely submerged in water when launching boats, with fewer problems and more reliability than the old bulb and socket assemblies.

Gard

trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-09-29 10:46 AM (#92280 - in reply to #92279)

Regular

Thanks Gard, that sounds like it should work. :-) Replacement light is on the "to do" list. As well as rubbing out the teeth marks on window frame. I have not a chance to do that yet. Hoping to wash and wax the trailer.. and take care of scratches all at the same time. I would also like to try adding the coating on the flooring as you had mentioned in other posts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)