'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trail riding vacation?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-31 6:11 AM
12 replies, 5382 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-22 9:20 AM (#87888)
Subject: trail riding vacation?

Veteran

We would like to go trail riding out west wether it be SW west or west, but I don't have the time to get our horses in condition for what I'm thinking or the money for the gas to get out there. What I'm thinking of is you paid to have someone take you.I want to see scenic places maybe mountains or scenes like from the old John Wayne movies from the SW. Someone that provides the horses, meals, overnite camping. You will be out on horseback for like 5 days. Western horseman magazine had some places listed one month, last year maybe and I lost the magazine. Does anyone know where to start looking? I realize that this will take time to plan and would like to start working on it. I think this would be a great vacation. If someone else has done this tell me about your experience. Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-07-22 10:55 AM (#87899 - in reply to #87888)
Subject: RE: trail riding vacation?

Extreme Veteran

I am not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but several years ago I went to a place in Gila, NM that was awesome!  It is the Double E Ranch.  It is a working cattle ranch and the rides took in lots of great scenery.  I believe that they also do some overnight packing but am not sure.  They have a website if you are interested, and no I am not connected with the ranch other than having possibly one of the best vacations ever there.  http://www.doubleeranch.com/  Obviously, you would not want to go there in the summer as it gets HOT!  And I know hot... coming from Georgia.  LOL
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-22 11:03 AM (#87900 - in reply to #87888)

Elite Veteran

There are several companies that offer week long riding vacations all over the world.  I've been lucky enough to go on quite a few of these trips (Ireland, Hungary, Portugal, Canada, Missouri, Wyoming, Utah, & Arizona) loved every one of them. 

Equitour, Cross Country International, & Hidden Trails are all great.  just do a search for horseback riding vacations and you will gets tons of websites

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-22 1:31 PM (#87917 - in reply to #87888)

Veteran

lesliema yes this is something that I'm thinking of, my husband I think would like this, being able to help with the cattle. You aren't riding on groomed trails.I will try a google search. Our problem is both drive school bus and summer is about the only time we could go. unless we went southwest during Christmas break. THis is what I want to do for our 25 wedding anniversary next year.

Edited by dawnb 2008-07-22 1:33 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 2:47 PM (#87929 - in reply to #87888)

Expert

There are several here in NM and when we went to Yellow Stone NP last year there was a company that packed into the park.  I wanted to go but the friends we were going with aren't horse people.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-22 2:55 PM (#87930 - in reply to #87888)

Elite Veteran

I don't recomend Cattle Drives unless you are happy walking for a short ways, stopping while they poo and pee, eat grass, then move them again a short distance....  the heavier the cattle are, the more they are worth, so they tend to move them v e r y slowly.  It was my least favorite of all the rides I've done. 

Now packing into the Bob Marshall Wilderness, Yellowstone, etc that is a great ride.  Be prepared to sleep in tents, on horse pads, etc  no comforts of home, but the scenery can't be beat.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 6:48 PM (#87948 - in reply to #87888)

Expert

Pick up a copy of Trail Blazer & Trail Rider magazines, there are a host of advertisments for adventure as you describe.. good luck and have fun!
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-23 8:26 AM (#88024 - in reply to #87888)

Veteran

Thanks for all information. Anyone else have ideas?
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-07-23 11:07 PM (#88156 - in reply to #87888)

Some friends of mine did the Equitour thing and they both LOVED it! They went to Bitterroot Ranch in Wyoming and said everything about it (including the the food) was top notch!
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-07-23 11:22 PM (#88157 - in reply to #87888)

Sorry, just to follow up regarding the Bitteroot Ranch post - - apparently this ranch is where the old Marlboro ads were shot - very much the old west.  Also, you can choose different rides.  So, you wouldn't be sent out with a group of beginner riders taking a horse vacation for the fun of it.  They evaluate your riding experience before placing you in a riding group.  Also, you can choose the ride where you come back each night and sleep in your cabin or you can go on a pack trip into Yellowstone NP.

My friends who took the trip highly recommend it.  Their description was "you get up in the morning, eat a fabulous breakfast, rest, go out and get on your fully-tacked horse, come back and hand the reins over to someone (to untack your horse) and eat another fabulous meal - and you do this several days in a row!"  If you choose not to go out riding every day, you can hang back and fish or do other things..  We get a brochure every year and they also have great rides all over the west and southwest, so I would definitely look into Equitour if you're considering this type of vacation.  I've heard nothing but good things about them!

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-07-25 9:40 AM (#88256 - in reply to #87888)

Canada for the summer vacation....British Columbia has very nice weather. 
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-07-29 9:49 AM (#88481 - in reply to #87888)

Veteran

Greetings,

For vacation suggestions for Wyoming, see my post under the Wyoming thread. My very favorite place to ride so far in the world (I've been to a number of other countries and on a pack trip in Alaska right outside Denali) is the Canadian Rockies. Absolutely jaw dropping scenery! Check out "Trail Riders of the Canadian Rockies" website. We have ridden with them three times and will go again. That speaks volumes when you have so many choices of where to spend your equine vacation dollars. The website is extensive, and Rick Goddeis, as well as the others are volunteers who continue the tradition of this organization founded in 1923! It is also reasonably priced. Also do a search under Dude Ranch Association. You can do one for U.S. and Canada. They have an extensive list of association members and ranch websites with a ton of info. I have also heard great things about the "Red Rock Ride" in Utah. That is on my list of things to do.

Hope this helps,

Brenda

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-07-31 6:11 AM (#88652 - in reply to #87888)

Expert

In Southern Utah

http://www.horserides.net/

On another note, a woman on another website, reported that they hauled her horses out from Missouri and rode for 10 days in Colorado and NM and said her fuel bill was only $800 even at this summers prices.  A couple of plane tickets, rent a car and the cost of renting horses or hiring an outfitter will easily exceed that,

Edited by Painted Horse 2008-07-31 6:24 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)