'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Pineapple cake

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-03 9:56 AM
12 replies, 5402 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-06-29 12:33 AM (#86598)
Subject: Pineapple cake

Extreme Veteran

OK, first off, I'm not much of a cook. I do fine with everyday stuff, but nothing gourmet. I'm intrigued by the tuna can pineapple cake that's been mentioned a couple of times. I did a search and it sounds like I put a pineapple ring in a clean tuna can, follow the cake mix recipe, and pour over the pineapple...Sounds like my kind of recipe! Is that really all there is to it? Can I cook it over a fire as well as the BBQ? Do I cover it with tin foil? I'm going camping in a week and I'd like to make this, but I don't want to embarrass myself by not doing something obvious. Thanks for any and all info!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-06-30 8:26 AM (#86675 - in reply to #86598)
Subject: RE: Pineapple cake

Extreme Veteran

Hi Gemm,

I have made these tasty little cakes and they were just that easy!  I did mine on a grill and did not cover them with foil.  One tip is to make sure you spray the cans well with cooking spray.  You will be the hit of your campout.  I served mine with a bit of coolwhip on top.

Happy Trails!

JacciB

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-06-30 11:31 AM (#86680 - in reply to #86598)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks so much, Jacci!! I'm going to try them on our "Hawaiian" potluck night...Seems appropriate! All we usually do is wear Hawaiian shirts, but I'm thinking this will fit right in with the theme. Thanks again, I'll be sure to spray the cans. I might even put a cherry in the pineapple hole. Top it off with whipping cream and it's sure to entertain the group!!
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-07 10:41 AM (#86982 - in reply to #86598)

Elite Veteran

They are fun - we had about 20 cans on the grill and yes you do need to spray the cans first.  It was a fun project for everyone.  I think she had to mix up about 3 boxes of cake batter for the whole group. She had frosting, but cool whip also works
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-07-07 4:16 PM (#87009 - in reply to #86598)

Extreme Veteran

I'm leaving on the trip tomorrow. Yay! I can hardly wait. I only bought 1 box of cake mix...maybe I need to get more... How many cans does one box of mix make? I'm sure the kids will get a kick out of this, but the adults will have fun too. The one thing I'm lacking is lots of cans, so I sent out an e-mail to the other campers requesting them. If they don't bring lots of cans, I guess I can just make the same cake in a dutch oven? Do you remember how long they took to bake? Just curious.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-07-08 12:41 PM (#87081 - in reply to #86598)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Gemm,

It seems to me like they cooked faster than I expected...maybe 10 minutes max.  Of course this depends on the heat of your grill.  Check them frequently, every 2 - 3 minutes.

I made 6 cakes and had batter left over.  I guess I could have washed the cans and used the rest but I was too lazy and had already served our group.

Jacci

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-07-08 6:35 PM (#87105 - in reply to #86598)

Veteran

Oh, here's another recipe for a yummy dessert that I ran across on a lady's website.  She's from the texastrailriding@yahoogroups.com board.

Description:
Another easy to make cobbler that can be made at home in the oven or at camp in Dutch oven. Very similar to the Black Forest Cake. 

Ingredients:
2 cans Cherry pie filling
1 chocolate fudge cake mix
1 small bottle of Sprite
real butter

Directions:
Preheat the Dutch Oven
In an aluminum foil liner add some real butter and melt over the coals
Add pie filling and enough Sprite to make a bit more liquid
In a small bowl mix 1/2 cake mix with a small amount of Sprite to make a thick dough
Put liner with pie filling in preheated Dutch Oven. Heat till bubbly
Spoon thick dough over the pie filling
Sprinkle liberally with sugar
Cook till topping is done
Serve hot with real whipped cream, ice cream, or chocolate syrup if available
Enjoy.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-09 12:15 AM (#87113 - in reply to #86598)

Expert

So do you just use the pineapple upside down cake mix,or some other yellow cake mix?

Just mix it up and pour it over the pineapple ring inside of the tuna can???

I never have heard of it,but it sure sounds like a neat recipe!

We have a little tabletop Holland grill (our idea of roughing it is staying at a campground in our LQ) I know,city slicker style.But I'd like to try these cakes! I think they would be a hit up at Big Creek trail ride.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-09 6:59 AM (#87116 - in reply to #86598)

Elite Veteran

yep - it's that easy.  I belong to a trail riding club and the trail boss on a after Christmas ride wanted to do a group activity.  She told everyone to bring cleaned tuna or cat food cans to the campout.  We had at least 30 people, so she probably made 4-5 boxes of yellow or white cake mix. 

Spray with non stick cooking spray and drop a pineapple slice in the can, top with cake mix, but only fill halfway and put on the grill.  It was fun watching them bubble up and cook. The she had frosting to top them with.  Another poster mentioned whipped cream which would be easier.

Everyone laughed at me as I brought cat food cans, but we have barn cats so that was easier for me to bring.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-09-24 1:37 AM (#92017 - in reply to #86598)

Expert

I know this thread is an old one.

I like to cook burgers on a grill for the fellows that farm our place at harvest time.I wanted to try these cakes.This sounds silly but I haven't tried them yet at a campground or on a grill,so,here goes: do they come out of the cans like mini upside down cakes? Or do you just eat them in the can after they're done?

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-09-24 7:50 AM (#92027 - in reply to #92017)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-09-24 1:37 AM

I know this thread is an old one.

I like to cook burgers on a grill for the fellows that farm our place at harvest time.I wanted to try these cakes.This sounds silly but I haven't tried them yet at a campground or on a grill,so,here goes: do they come out of the cans like mini upside down cakes? Or do you just eat them in the can after they're done?

They actually come out of the cans like mini upside down cakes. 

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-09-24 9:32 PM (#92059 - in reply to #86598)

Extreme Veteran

The way I usually make these treats is the same as everyone else, but I sprinkle some brown sugar in the bottom of the can before placing the pineapple ring.  A marachino cherry is a nice addition, too.

Marla

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-10-03 9:56 AM (#92508 - in reply to #86598)

Extreme Veteran

Hi all-

I haven't been back to HTW for a while...School starting and my job back (I'm one of the lucky ones) got me busy. When we made these at camp this past summer they were a huge hit. They were "soooo cute" in my daughter's words. They slid right out of the sprayed cans and I flipped them over so the pineapple ring was on top when we handed them out. I've already been asked to make them again next year. One thing though: They were kinda big, so we cut them in half. There were enough cans that if somebody wanted a whole one, they could come back for the second half. I like the idea of the cherry filling with chocolate cake mix too....Maybe I'll branch out next time and make those!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)