'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Carry a Fire Extinguisher

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-19 4:20 PM
12 replies, 3241 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AZ_newguy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-27 5:27 PM (#42325)
Subject: Carry a Fire Extinguisher

My start to the long weekend:
- vehicle: 2003 GMC K3500 D/A xCab

- heavy load: slide-in camper, Artic Fox 990, pulling 3 horse slant trailer

- 6 to 7% up grade for ~ 2 or 3 miles

- ambient temp, 103F

We're on I17 north out of Phoenix climbing out of Black Canyon City to Sunset Point. A road-side sign announces possible delays due to brush fire ahead. I turn to wife and say, "Wow, I can smell the smoke way back here." "Hey, thats not wood smoke, thats a car fire." "Some poor guy is in trouble." "Shoot, is that smoke coming from under the hood?"

We pull over, just then an A/C line burst, burning rubber is dripping on the ground. I grabbed the fire ex, opened the hood and beat down the fire. A $405 tow bill later and I haven't heard from the dealer yet.

It is a bad feeling knowing you have a camper and horses in tow and flames under the hood. I'll give a report as I learn more information.

CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!
Mike
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mkenngen
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-05-27 5:39 PM (#42327 - in reply to #42325)
Subject: RE: Carry a Fire Extinguisher

Glad you're okay!! 
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-27 5:54 PM (#42328 - in reply to #42325)

Extreme Veteran

Yes carry a fire extinguisher and join US Rider.  My $420.00 tow bill cost me only $20.00 out of pocket.
mkenngen
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-05-27 6:08 PM (#42329 - in reply to #42325)

I too have US Rider (haven't had to use in a trailer situation but another board I'm on just had someone who was really pleased with recent service).

What kind of fire extinguisher - seem to recall some discussion on this board a while ago about having the right kind.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-27 7:17 PM (#42331 - in reply to #42325)

Expert

I made that mistake ONCE !!!
I'll NEVER try to open the hood of a burning vehicle again.

Just "EVERYBODY OUT !"
and let it burn, burn, burn...
I don't care, the insurance company can worry about it.

AZ_newguy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-27 7:38 PM (#42332 - in reply to #42331)

Reg:
Just the truck, I would have let that baby burn to the ground. I'm kinda sweet on a new crew cab. However, loaded to the gills with my camper and new horse trailer, that fire was going out.

I made sure the fire ex was in my hand before I opened the hood. You know, fresh supply of oxygen and all. Its hard to ignore my first responder training. :)

Mike
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-27 9:33 PM (#42333 - in reply to #42332)

Expert

Originally written by AZ_newguy on 2006-05-27 8:38 PM

Reg:
Just the truck, I would have let that baby burn to the ground. I'm kinda sweet on a new crew cab. However, loaded to the gills with my camper and new horse trailer, that fire was going out.

I made sure the fire ex was in my hand before I opened the hood. You know, fresh supply of oxygen and all. Its hard to ignore my first responder training. :)

Mike

The part I remember most vividly is the bit about NOT creating another victim. Instructors would point at students and rant about the division of available resources when they also have to rescue YOU ! (the student being pointed at).

On the ground under the engine ? YES ! {suffocate the fire}
Up under the wheel arches ? YES ! {Keep the front tires from igniting}
In through the grille ? YES ! if possible.
Open the hood to hit the engine compartment ? Just NO !!!

Sorry for your loss, I'm REALLY glad it wasn't any worse.

BTW, it seems we have similar trucks.
I'd be interested to know the official origin of the fire when the investigation is complete. I don't remember any discussion of spontaneous fires on this make/year/model on the various truck forums.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-29 9:15 PM (#42372 - in reply to #42325)

Veteran

THAT is a long, hard climb up Black Canyon!  We used to shut the AC off before we ever even started the climb, no matter how hot it was out.  WAY too many trucks/motorhomes overheat going up that.  Glad you're all ok
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-05-29 9:36 PM (#42375 - in reply to #42325)

Veteran

As a retired firefighter with 26 years on the job, I agree with Reg 100%. Also, keeping your doors shut and windows up will slow the fire from reaching the interior. A fire needs oxygen, fuel, and heat. Unfortunatly, a fire extinguisher doesn't remove the heat and unless the fire is small, it will reignite. Follow Reg's advice, try and hit it without opening the hood. I would also suggest if you are pulling a trailer, disconnect it ASAP and push/tow the tow vehicle forward. This will save your horses and keep them in a safe place. The trailer and horses can be towed home later. Also, grab your paperwork in the dash as you exit so you have ins, registration, etc. Stay safe our there!
inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-05-31 8:50 PM (#42467 - in reply to #42325)

Veteran

Back when I played at race cars, sport car club of america, did work as a corner marshal. Watch and make sure that no one went through the corner wrong. Hit the barrier, go off course and hit a tree that sort of thing. We were told never to open the hood of a burning car. Take the fire extinguisher and go through the wheel well. Then get driver clear and let the pros do the job.

Glad that everyone involved got out without any injuries. That is the most important thing.
AZ_newguy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-19 9:29 AM (#43239 - in reply to #42325)

I figured I'd update with the cause of the fire: pack rat nest by the turbo.

Just one of the disadvantages of letting the truck sit in a semi-rural environment. The vermin back east pale when compared to these hardy desert critters.
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 3:05 PM (#43264 - in reply to #43239)

Extreme Veteran

After a week long ride a friend checked under his hood as he always did before leaving and found something had started building a nest under the hood of his truck. He could have had the same thing happen to him. Not a bad idea to check when your truck has been sitting, especially close to trees like we do at that ride.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 4:20 PM (#43272 - in reply to #42325)

Extreme Veteran

You guys that have firefighter training and experience, what is the recommended fire extinguisher for the rest of us to carry?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)