'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
? for you...Am I too heavy for this horse?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-28 8:45 PM
12 replies, 4653 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Foxtrot2
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-04-14 2:58 PM (#40439)
Subject: ? for you...Am I too heavy for this horse?

I own a 10 year old 15.2hh Foxtrotter gelding with stout legs & big feet.  My riding consists of about 10 hours a month, spread over two or three weekends, on very easy trails.  I ride in a 22lb saddle.  I've been riding a little over 10 years, I'm not a couch potato, but I'm surely not in shape, and my weight has been shifting up and down with a steady overall increase.    This spring I've hit maximum density, 265 lbs.  Am I too heavy to ride this horse?

What's the opinion on my breaking out a 3 year old, currently 15hh Foxtrotter gelding this fall?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-04-14 5:37 PM (#40445 - in reply to #40439)
Subject: RE: ? for you...Am I too heavy for this horse?

Elite Veteran

In the case of the 10 year old, you should be fine. Average ponies can carry upward of 300 pounds. It's not your weight that kills a horse, it where you put the weight on him. As for the 3 year old, with barely developed knees, no I wouldn't do it at your weight. In the picture in my ICON I weighed 326 pounds, and am now down to a svelt 285! My horse may love me once again.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-15 3:15 AM (#40462 - in reply to #40439)

Expert

More important then young horses knees is his back.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-04-15 7:40 AM (#40469 - in reply to #40462)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by hounddog on 2006-04-15 4:15 AM

More important then young horses knees is his back.

When deciding on whether a young horse is ready to be put under saddle I have been pointed to their knees by all I have ever been taught by, so how do you determine whether a youngsters back is ready for him to be under saddle? X-ray?

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-15 9:42 AM (#40474 - in reply to #40439)

Expert

Condition and age,body structure.Light riding until 4 or 5 and if short or long backed.Takes a long time to condition a back.Knees maybe in race horses but they don't tote much weight.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-15 11:07 AM (#40475 - in reply to #40439)

Extreme Veteran

I have to disagree with the knee's not being an issue.  Try lifting something sitting down and then tell me if your knees are not involved! 

Horses rely primarily on their legs to support their back.  It is a culmination of ALL muscles and ligaments.

If you don't consider the knees then you lose your support.  If you put too much weight and too much stress too soon you are going to blow out the ligaments, tendons, the tendon sheaths, and get shin splints. 

At 3 years old the horse is a tweenie...between a youngster and a seasoned horse.  Lots of muscle work, coordination skills need to be done.   Size isn't the problem, it is the age, condition, and coordination of the horse.

I have seen some ten year olds in just as bad of condition muscle tone and coordination wise as a youngster, due to languishing in a pasture.  The problem is folks will let their horses sit all winter and then in the spring expect them to be ready to go.  We start round penning our horses at the beginning of spring to get their muscles used to being worked again, we also work on backing, and lots of trotting. 

You want good strong legs, strong hind quarters, and lots of backing and trotting excersises to strenghthen the back.  All this can be done from the ground. 

Get your horses in shape and you will find yourself getting in shape right alongside them!  I had gained over 25 pounds this winter, I have lost all of it and then some!  If you work your horses you will get in shape yourself.  As long as we stay away from the beer, snacks and other tempting morsels!

Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-04-15 2:26 PM (#40482 - in reply to #40439)

Regular

Whether your too heavy for your horse, YOU will be much healthier and a better rider if you can continue your weight lose.  Congratulation's on what you have lost and continued success!

As for the 3 y/o...yes, your too heavy.  He's still growing. 

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-04-15 4:53 PM (#40483 - in reply to #40439)

Expert

I come from a CTR background and the rules don't allow anything younger than 4 to compete in the Novice class. They have to be 5 years old to compete in the Open. So I've always used that has my guidelines.

4-5 very easy rides on a 2 year old. Just get them used to some one on their back. Nothing longer 20-30 mintures on flat ground.

During the winter between 2 & 3 years old. I pony my coming 3 year olds along side my riding horse. Empty saddle, no weight.  Just get them used to crossing streams, mud puddles, crossing logs, bridges and other obsticles, seeing deer etc. These are usually 5-10 mile rides. Helps leg them up and get them in shape for training.

3 years olds I start riding IF their knees have tightened up. If they are still loose, we wait.  I'll put a 10-12 easy rides on my 3 years olds. No hills, no rough country.  If the horse is not blowing up, I'll let my daughters start riding them along side me on evening trail rides. Nothing faster than a trot, and rarely that. Mostly just long brisk walks. By end of summer they are doing all day rides and I take them elk & deer hunting in September & October. Here they get some serious hill climbing. But usually with a panier carry 100lbs of camp.

4 years old, I get serious about me riding them.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-04-21 10:03 AM (#40780 - in reply to #40439)

Elite Veteran

The general rule of weight bearing for the horse is:

They should not carry more than 1/5th of their body weight...in other words... your horse should weigh between 1325-1400#.

A modified low-carb diet would help you lose rapidly and gain lots of energy....Keep riding!!!stop eating things that are bad for you... and remember the time when you were at your ideal weight... it was too good then, wasn't it??? GOOD LUCK

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-04-25 4:59 AM (#40899 - in reply to #40439)

Regular

As for your weight being too much for the 10yr old I honestly cannot say with a lil more info on the horse. Its sounds as if you have been riding him for awhile. I doubt your weight just flew on their overnight. In which case the 10 yr old should be just fine since more than likely he is already adjusted to it. As for the youngster I have to agree a lighter rider would probably be best. As to knees every vet I have yet to speak too has said the same thing. Wait until their knees lock. When asked why I was told by waiting it prevents a lot of developemental probs with their legs. Not to mention that in general if the legs have locked the odds are that the rest of em is ready to start work. ALso just as the sayin "no hoof , no horse goes" just apply that to the horse as you go up. As for the back I agree starting them too young with to much weight will hurt them but I was told to look for their legs to lock and you should be ok on both accounts since the legs are part of the foundation then the back should be ok as well. Once again I would start with a lightweight. Good luck and be sure your young fella has his legs locked before starting any real work with him.  The ages vary as to when this will happen according to the horse.  Some develope faster than others do ...the vet can tell you for definite.
vicklynn
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-04-26 8:17 AM (#40947 - in reply to #40439)

What I have learned is that my husabnd at 230 can ride my 14.2 Quarter/Appy. WHY? Cause pertenint sorces say that due to the short back and stockyness of this horse it is better than him being on a tall long backed horse. So the height/length/weight of the hores is important. I also agree with the young horses having a lighter person on them due to their back and legs.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-27 12:09 AM (#40976 - in reply to #40439)

Extreme Veteran

I'd agree that the 10 year old is probably fine, but the younger horse needs a lighter rider, probably 100 lbs lighter.  It really depends on the horse too though.  My (then 5 years old) 14.2 Arab (not the dainty type) carried a 250 lb guy for 4-6 hours every 2-3 days,  for10 weeks in the summer heat of eastern Washington (90-100) and he did great... the trainer was careful to watch for any sign of over-work, over-use, sore knees and or legs, but that horse just kept marching on with his usual enthusiasm!  That was 3 years ago, and he's never had any problems with his legs, knees or back.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-04-28 8:45 PM (#41060 - in reply to #40439)

Extreme Veteran

I read an article once about a study that was done on weight and riding. 

From what I remember in general they mentioned it wasn't always the weight as much as the rider's riding skills.

They had a mechnical horse that measured the pressure on the back.  It was found that a lighter bad rider was worse on the back than a heavier good rider.

I do agree with most that you're probably too heavy for a young horse. 

My horse is my best walking partner.  I like to get off and walk during my rides and my horse just follows.  I take off weight during the summer just with the extra walking with my partner Sonny.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)