'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Michigan trailer dealer giving me the shaft! What do I do

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-26 11:51 AM
12 replies, 5182 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dustin95
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-07-24 11:27 PM (#108522)
Subject: Michigan trailer dealer giving me the shaft! What do I do

New User

I bought a trailer back in February from Price's trailer sales in Michigan and they neglected to tell me of many flaws in the trailer.  Things they told me they checked where not working and many other things wrong with trailer that they failed to mention.  I told them I would take the trailer and paid for a A/C unit to be installed sight unseen because I trusted that I wouldn't be misled.  Well I definately was.  It was snowing and cold and I felt obligated to purchase b/c I had paid for the A/C unit.  The next day called and expressed my concerns and I was assured that replacement parts and other items would be sent to me.  Well I have only recieved two latches.  The owner promised me a new dressing room door because the one had corrosion eating it from the inside (which was never mentioned before I got there) and that they would send me a mattress to fit in the front goose because he assured me that my queen would fit and realistically it wasn't close.   What should I do.  I call and he says it will get shipped later that week.  Heard that lie for almost 5 months now. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-07-25 8:09 AM (#108528 - in reply to #108522)
Subject: RE: Michigan trailer dealer giving me the shaft! What do I do

Elite Veteran

Welcome to the forum!
To answer your question in a roundabout manner, this isn't the proper venue to be venting about a dealer. There are two sides to every story and on here I think you're going to hear two things.
A) Contact the BBB or a lawyer, or both. But no one here has a magic formula for a transaction gone south.
B) If you're going to post this, then let's also post the other side of the story from the dealer. Did you have the chance to inspect it before you bought it? It is/was obviously used, so a thorough inspection was warranted. One woman's jewel, is another's sow's ear. His opinion is strictly that- an opinion. And apparently it didn't match yours.
But that's just my $.02
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-07-25 8:51 AM (#108529 - in reply to #108522)

Expert

What kind of trailer did you buy...? Make, model, year, # of horses, LQ, new, used, etc...? Got any idea what it cost to "ship a matress"? Got any pictures of that corroded door? How far do you live from "Prices Trailer Sales"? This all began when there was snow on the ground, it's now a week until August, 5, 6 months now..? Did you pay cash, finance, write a check, barter, etc.

Need a little more info, would like to hear from the seller also...

barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-07-25 8:55 AM (#108530 - in reply to #108522)

Regular

It seems that you noticed some concerns with the trailer before you finalized the deal. Is that correct?  You felt obligated to buy it because you had already paid for the A/C to be installed.  Hind sight is 20/20 and my opinion is worth only what you're paying for it (nothing), but I think you should have done one of two things: 1. Demand that the trailer be repaired to your specifications prior to sealing the deal, or 2. Demand a refund for the A/C, perhaps negotiating to only pay for the labor to install it, and go on your way to find another trailer that meets your specifications.  I doubt that the dealer has any legal or ethical obligation to help you since you apparently didn't even tell the dealer about your concerns until the day after you picked it up. 

Now, having said all this, it is wrong for the dealer to tell you that he/she is going to do something and then not follow through for you. 

MSM
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-07-25 9:25 AM (#108532 - in reply to #108522)

Regular

Sorry to hear about your problem and what upsets me the most is according to your thread the dealership wasn't all that honest with you. Have heard this story meny times before.

As it was stated in a earlier thread there are two sides to each story but one thing should never change, thats a mans word. Sure, maybe you didn't check the trailer out as you should have but I'm guessing for you to go out there to purchase this trailer you must have been told it's in good to excellant condition.

With this in mind you only have a few options. You can try suing the dealer although I"m sure he's has all the experience to cover all of his bases. So if I were you I would go settle it the old fashioned way.

Drag his A.. out behind the building and don't stop until you get whats rightfully yours and/or whats been promised to you. Maybe then, in the future this dealer and others will do what they say there going to do and be a little more honest up front.

If I offened anyone with this thread I'm sorry. I purchased a brand new trailer from a dealer and had it delivered since it was a few thousand miles away. When the trailer was delivered it was damaged and the dealer didn't care to inform me of this infraction. After months of going back and forth I finally made a trip out there and ended up getting another brand new triler to replace the damagedd one. The sad part about all this I had to do it the old fashioned way.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-07-25 9:31 AM (#108534 - in reply to #108532)

Expert

As it was stated in a earlier thread there are two sides to each story but one thing should never change, thats a mans word.

Agree 100% to this.I can't fault someone for going on a lot and taking a dealer's word to heart that they would do what they said they'd do.I grew up with a father that absolutely meant what he said,and did what he said no matter what happened,so,I also have a rose colored view of people as a result.

I've learned to develop a jaded view as a result of being screwed over myself,twice by legitimate trailer dealers.I have learned to take NOTHING by someone's unwritten word.Have every possible negotiation and term in writing,sign it,date it,have them do the same,and tell them you are keeping several copies.This way,you do have something solid to go to an attorney with,at least.

Sorry this happened,but,there's no better teacher than experience,and,hope that it works out to your benefit.

. "Maybe then, in the future this dealer and others will do what they say there going to do and be a little more honest up front. "

PS: the dealer that lied to us on our sale a few years back is no longer in business.What goes around,comes around.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2009-07-25 9:43 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-25 12:38 PM (#108538 - in reply to #108522)

Expert

I would make a call to your state's Attorney General's Office. The call is free and often times you can find out what your legal options are.

If you had a witness that can corroborate your side of the agreement (s), a verbal contract is legal and binding. Having some idea of your rights, will help when you decide to take the dealer out behind the shed. He should be held accountable for his inaction and misrepresentation.

Gard

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-07-25 8:41 PM (#108550 - in reply to #108522)

Expert

Sue him.Small claims court.Its easy.Judge will decide or all of a sudden promises will be fulfilled.I won't get into details but I sold some timber.Fellow that bought it was in good standing,had done business with my wife and I on his autos for several years.He turned NASTY.Nasty mouth,failed to pay us etc.He told me to you know what on the phone with a SUE ME! I did.In fact the VERY next day.Took a few hours and under $65 bucks.I ran a ad in his home town paper if any one had UNFAIR business dealings with so and so to reply to a P.O.box.I got no replies but on court day his attorney told us he was FURIOUS with us.HIS attorney said pay us.He refused.Judge told him PAY THEM.I also wanted a apology for the inconvenience plus the mess he hung us with etc.It was all he could do to spit out a I'm sorry.He also paid us with the Judge standing just about on his foot.His attorney said that ad I ran in the paper tore him up! Now HANDLE ON THE LAW(radio show) says all the time SUE THEM.Small claims court.Thats what it is for.Judge will sort it out.

Edited by hounddog 2009-07-25 8:45 PM
dustin95
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-07-26 8:56 AM (#108555 - in reply to #108528)

New User

I listed the dealer name because it's my effort to make other trailer buyers aware of what I am dealing with with the dealer. This was definately a learning experience and I hope I can help prevent others from the same problems with this dealer or any other. I am younger and to trusting. Also the dealer didn't do anything legally wrong just ethically in my opinion. I drove 4 hours to learn that there was multiple flaws with the trailer that where not mentioned. The empty promises where whats got me in a up roar. Every one was right I should had eaten the A/C money and ran from doing business with them.
dustin95
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-07-26 9:00 AM (#108556 - in reply to #108529)

New User

1998 6h sooner with mid tack and front dress.  There is about a 4" x 6" spot on front dress door that's black and nasty on the front door.  Obvious from 10 feet away.  I paid with cashiers check out right no financing. 
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-07-26 9:01 AM (#108557 - in reply to #108522)

Expert

SUE THEM in small claims court.There is no retribution if you lose.Let a judge decide.I was trusting with my timber and I was middle aged.I got my money.
dustin95
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-07-26 9:05 AM (#108558 - in reply to #108528)

New User

About venting.  If I can save 1 person from having a headache by dealing with a dealer that doesn't keep their word I am happy and helping a fellow horseman.  What's a better place that on one of the biggest trailer sites to talk about my experience.  Why keep it a secret?  History repeats it they left me hanging they will do it to the next guy if there is no reason not too.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-07-26 11:51 AM (#108560 - in reply to #108522)

Expert

Did you not look at the trailer before yuo bought it? Most places I know of sell USED trailers AS/IS, same as used cars and trucks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)