'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need Help Titling Trailer in Michigan

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-15 4:06 PM
12 replies, 8148 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-06-13 8:58 AM (#62241)
Subject: Need Help Titling Trailer in Michigan

Extreme Veteran

I bought a trailer in Ohio, well the guy said the trailer didn't have a title and I didn't need one.  It is a 2 horse gooseneck.  He figured it was not over 2500 pounds.  Well, needless to say...it is over 5000 pounds (yes I was a sucker!)

Anyhow I get it weighed, have the bill of sale, and get told I have to have the "original" title to the trailer.  I track down the original owner and she is a B with an "itch" and won't send me the title. 

So how the heck am I supposed to get this thing titled so I can use it?????

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-06-13 11:27 AM (#62250 - in reply to #62241)
Subject: RE: Need Help Titling Trailer in Michigan

Expert

Have you called the sec of state?
TRAILERMAN1957
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-06-13 12:09 PM (#62255 - in reply to #62241)

Why wont she send you the title it is no good to her ?
I'd also call the person you purchased it from and tell him you want your money back or the title to the trailer.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-06-13 2:07 PM (#62260 - in reply to #62241)

Extreme Veteran

Won't be getting my money back.  Was told on phone I bought the trailer "as is" meaning..with or without a title.  In Ohio trailer didn't need to be titled so not "his" problem.

I called the woman and she is a pain.  Told me if I called again I could be accused of harassment.  She said she would send it to the guy she sold it to when she "had time". she said she wouldn't send it to me because I didn't buy the trailer from her. 

Very very difficult woman to deal with. 

I went into the Sec of States office and was told I  "HAD" to have the title before I could get the trailer in my name.  I told them the lady was being uncooperative and all the woman at the window did was shrug her shoulders. 

I am about to sell the thing for scrap steel at this point and cut a couple thousand dollar loss.  Not worth the headache!!!  Unless someone in another state that doesn't require titling on horse trailers wants to buy it for $1500...lol..

sorrelrider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-13 2:27 PM (#62261 - in reply to #62241)

Seriously call the police,get a police report,(not that your pressing any charges) but they will then contact the seller and then you will have a police report that shows the trailer is yours and then you can title it with the sec of state...
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-06-13 7:11 PM (#62269 - in reply to #62241)

Elite Veteran

Good points from other posters. I'd also check with the state to make sure the trailer isn't stolen. Seems fishy you can't get a title. If it is stolen, you are probably out the money too. You'll need the VIN number from the trailer. Another solution after you find out the trailer isn't stolen is try to title it as a homemade trailer. I wish you luck. :)

MR176
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-13 7:14 PM (#62270 - in reply to #62241)

Regular

You don't need to make a police report, at this time there does not appear to be any criminal action. Call the Secretary of State's office in Lansing, not all of the local clerks know all of the rules. Tell them you need to title an older trailer that was purchased out of state and was not required to be titled in that state. They should be able to tell you what to do. You will probably have to have the VIN inspected by a local police department. You can download the form (TR-54) from the SOS website. You will also need a weight slip from a scale that the SOS recognizes. Once you have all the paperwork; bill of sale, weight, and TR-54 ( I think that's all you'll need), it might help to take it to a different SOS office to avoid the clerk that doesn't know the rules. If the VIN on the trailer is not legible, you'll have to title it as an assembled vehicle and the SOS will assign it a new VIN. Good Luck.
MR176
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-13 10:22 PM (#62275 - in reply to #62270)

Regular

This may apply.....  http://www.mich.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-24451-29806--F,00.html

Number 3 would be the easiset.

Edited by MR176 2007-06-13 10:24 PM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-06-14 6:12 AM (#62282 - in reply to #62241)

Expert

I have gotton a form from the DMV declearing said title holder as DECEASED and had a title in 15 minutes.Here in Georgia they (DMV)said IF dead they could get me a new title,handed me the form,(hint,hint)I filled it out in the hall way,handed it back and with a "who gives a rat shrug" they made me out a title.I have NO clue if old titel holder was dead or not,more then likely not.
sorrelrider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-14 7:22 AM (#62284 - in reply to #62270)

That's why I said you just need to call the poice and make a report,not press charges!!!!!----We have just done this with a car so I KNOW it can be done easily and quicly,..
Originally written by MR176 on 2007-06-13 7:14 PM

You don't need to make a police report, at this time there does not appear to be any criminal action. Call the Secretary of State's office in Lansing, not all of the local clerks know all of the rules. Tell them you need to title an older trailer that was purchased out of state and was not required to be titled in that state. They should be able to tell you what to do. You will probably have to have the VIN inspected by a local police department. You can download the form (TR-54) from the SOS website. You will also need a weight slip from a scale that the SOS recognizes. Once you have all the paperwork; bill of sale, weight, and TR-54 ( I think that's all you'll need), it might help to take it to a different SOS office to avoid the clerk that doesn't know the rules. If the VIN on the trailer is not legible, you'll have to title it as an assembled vehicle and the SOS will assign it a new VIN. Good Luck.
Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-06-14 10:36 AM (#62295 - in reply to #62241)

Veteran

I would forget trying to get a title from the old owner.  I would have the trailer weighed and with the receipt proceed to the nearest Sec. of State.  I am sure they will give you a title.

It cost me $110.00 for mine.  I have a small bumper pull, but I received the title, and plate.  It will cost you about $200.00 (they go by weight).  Good Luck.

MR176
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-14 9:17 PM (#62319 - in reply to #62241)

Regular

Wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers, but some police departments won't take reports for civil matters and I didnt' want to cause a wasted trip. That's why I suggested getting the TR-54 VIN inspection form from the S.O.S. and take that to the local PD with the trailer so they can confirm the VIN on the trailer, check it in LEIN (Law Enforcement Informtion Network (Michigan))and NCIC (National Crime Information Center (National))for wants or stolen, and then fill out the TR-54 for the S.O.S. It's legal to pull the trailer to the PD without plates for the purposes of inspection. The link I posted above is from the Michigan Secretary of State website's FAQ's....

If I lost the previous title before transferring the vehicle into my name and I can't find the previous owner, how can I get a title for my vehicle?

tammibrandon
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-15 4:06 PM (#62345 - in reply to #62241)

New User

Hi there -

I just plated a trailer in Michigan without a VIN/serial number or title paperwork.  Here is what I needed: a signed bill of sale with a description of the trailer, sale amount, signature and address of both buyer and seller AND a certified weight slip.  Since your trailer is over 2499 pounds, the permanent plate fee is $200.  I don't know if you have to pay 6% sales tax since you purchased outside of Michigan.  We went to the Secretary of State in Wixom, MI.  Hope that helps.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)