'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Living Quarter Business - Request response from Public

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-01 4:48 PM
12 replies, 4595 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hswinc
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-05-24 1:35 PM (#42217)
Subject: Living Quarter Business - Request response from Public

First and foremost thank you for your time.  I have been researching starting a business that will provide complete finish interiors in horse trailers.  We live in Eastern, MO about 45 min. so. of St. Louis and I feel that there could be a real need in this area to provide this type of service.  However, before I would invest a lot of time and money in a project like this I am trying to do some research.

1) Based on current Living Quarter construction, most of the cabinetry is constructed of particle board.  If the cabinetry were constructed of a product like Finland Birch, a much stronger (laminated plywood) product be available and would last much longer, along with commercial hardware, would the end user of the trailer consider the cost and life span increase over the product that is currently being used? 

2) In numerous cases it seems to me that most owners do not "remodel" the trailer to meet their current needs.  They seem to want to upgrade to a newer model.  Have you ever considered a remodel to your current trailer to include all of the bells and whistles you are looking for?  I understand that you may need more room or are wanting to go to a Alum. trailer from a steel trailer. In this same idea do you ever contact a person to perform repairs or is this more of a self perform type of project?

3)When you decide to have the Living Quarters built, is it after a design that you would like to see, or is it from a cookie cutter type of design?

4) What do you look for during the design phase?  Items like Solid Surface tops, Hardwood Cabinetry, Sound Insulation, Types of floors?

Our experiance is from a current business that installs and provides custom casework/millwork items in the Commercial Construction Industry.  We have worked on projects ranging from Hospitals, Doctors/Lawyers offices to Retail outlets and seems like everything in between.  I am looking at this type of business because it is very interesting to me and my wife & I like horses.

I would appreciate any comments that you may have from private owners to trailer dealers & manufacturers on these subject questions.  For any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Thank you.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rkranchgirl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-05-26 9:27 AM (#42283 - in reply to #42217)
Subject: RE: Living Quarter Business - Request response from Public

Regular

First off, good luck with your adventure!  I am just about done with my project of finishing off my living quarters.  We contacted a LQ finisher, but the main discouragement was cost.  We have saved over $1500 even before we put furniture and tables into it!!  From the research I did before I started my my own trailer, I would say that most people use particle board to keep the weight down and allow for a little flex.  I also found that most of my trailer was not straight nor square, so building a beautiful cabinet outside of the trailer is not an option.  Everything needs to be done inside and it just seems like the cheaper materials allow for a little more "creativity" with mistakes!!

Most important to me was the insulation.  I am in Minnesota, it is VERY important!!!! As for design, I am not fond of the "cookie cutters".  I like that everything is just where I want it, not comprimising because that was a layout available.  And I think we don't remodel because it is far more fun to go shopping than to be out a trailer for a few weeks.   I know I have enjoyed every step up I have taken and look forward to the next one, even though my blood sweat and tears are in this trailer!!!

Good Luck!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-26 10:52 AM (#42286 - in reply to #42217)

Expert

Originally written by hswinc on 2006-05-24 2:35 PM

First and foremost thank you for your time. I have been researching starting a business that will provide complete finish interiors in horse trailers. We live in Eastern, MO about 45 min. so. of St. Louis and I feel that there could be a real need in this area to provide this type of service. However, before I would invest a lot of time and money in a project like this I am trying to do some research.

1) Based on current Living Quarter construction, most of the cabinetry is constructed of particle board. If the cabinetry were constructed of a product like Finland Birch, a much stronger (laminated plywood) product be available and would last much longer, along with commercial hardware, would the end user of the trailer consider the cost and life span increase over the product that is currently being used?

2) In numerous cases it seems to me that most owners do not "remodel" the trailer to meet their current needs. They seem to want to upgrade to a newer model. Have you ever considered a remodel to your current trailer to include all of the bells and whistles you are looking for? I understand that you may need more room or are wanting to go to a Alum. trailer from a steel trailer. In this same idea do you ever contact a person to perform repairs or is this more of a self perform type of project?

3)When you decide to have the Living Quarters built, is it after a design that you would like to see, or is it from a cookie cutter type of design?

4) What do you look for during the design phase? Items like Solid Surface tops, Hardwood Cabinetry, Sound Insulation, Types of floors?

Our experiance is from a current business that installs and provides custom casework/millwork items in the Commercial Construction Industry. We have worked on projects ranging from Hospitals, Doctors/Lawyers offices to Retail outlets and seems like everything in between. I am looking at this type of business because it is very interesting to me and my wife & I like horses.

I would appreciate any comments that you may have from private owners to trailer dealers & manufacturers on these subject questions. For any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
As in any other business, do your market research, in particular understand how much business is within your reach.

My guesses/opinion;
1) I think most folk like to think they would pay extra for greater longevity, but the reality is that sticker price minus "deals" gets down to the price paid. If I am buying something that has an expected life of 15 years it is unlikely that I would be willng to pay extra for (some parts of it) to last 20, especially if I plan to sell or trade it in 10 or 12.
Beware "strength", in a structure that flexes (and NEEDS to flex).

2) Without putting numbers on it, a remodel probably only increases the value of the trailer by 50 or 60% of what it costs to have the re-model done. "It is STILL an old trailer." I doubt many people would want to do substantial re-modelling in the first 5 years, maybe longer. Changing wants/needs probably suggest a different trailer long before the camper section starts to wear thin.

3) I don't, I don't camp with horses. My comments are based on observations of others. I see a lot of folk going for "the package" that trailer builders offer (outsource). I think there is often a financing tie in, i.e. fund the whole thing with one loan.

4) I would look primarily for layout in the design phase, choice of materials is a lower level of detail that would come later.

farm77
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-05-26 11:30 AM (#42287 - in reply to #42217)

New User

I own and operate b bar b conversions in Vancouver Wa and are primary business is in RV Repair. I would suggest that you contact your state to see what the requirements are for manufacturing guidelines. You have to add escape windows to anything that you add propane and batteries to. This can be very costly and labor intense if the trailer is framed for a smaller window. There are a ton of regulations and I suggest to contact RVIA for there handbook. As far as cabinets you absolutely have to build them inside the trailer you will find every trailer you are doing will not be square. That is the nature of the beast. On average a simple floor plan with plumbing and hot water ect the basic's can take up to 120 to 150 hours of labor so don't sale yourself short. The first few trailers you do will be equivalant to a college degree. Keep them light and always use the proper RV parts and installation guidelines. We have seen and repaired some very bad LQ"s by fly by night installers and not so good LQ's from actual LQ builders. The pressure is on to the LQ people to build build build from the trailer manufacturer's and I feel with the sky rocketig costs it is gettig harder for the LQ people to make a profit and some of them have resorted to lower paid employees to keep there head above water. On the up note horse people are great to work with, I love talking with them and we have made some great friends along the way. good luck on your adventure
hswinc
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-05-26 8:55 PM (#42309 - in reply to #42283)

Thank you for your response. I greatly appreciate it. Part of my question concerning particle board was that birch plywood is much lighter in weight and more durable. Being in the woodworking business I really hate to see customers get stuck buying the wrong materials and bad installations. But I also know the enjoyment from working with your hands and having something at the end to show off your pride and hard work. So I think it is great that persons such as yourself tackele a project like this. I wish you the best of luck on finishing your project and do not hesitate to contact us if you would have any questions or comments.
hswinc
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-05-26 9:02 PM (#42310 - in reply to #42287)

I have had discussions with the RVIA on certifications for interior finishes.  In fact we are currently reviewing the application and all associated costs.  I agree that if a company is going to sell a service that company should offer the best service with the best pricing.  However, there are times that a company have fixed rates that have to be met to make a profit.  That is where our company will not sacrifice quality for costs.  I still have a lot of questions concerning this business and I will be asking those in the coming weeks. So I do appreciate the honest responses and hope to have further discussions in the future.  Thank you.

bluecow8
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-27 7:07 AM (#42315 - in reply to #42217)

Check with other conversion companies in your area, there are several in Missouri.  More and more horse trailer dealerships are also doing their own conversions which in my opinion will really hurt not only the conversion companies, but also the trailer dealerships that are not able to install conversions.  The ones that have that ability can cut another dealers price by thousands of dollars. 

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-27 4:03 PM (#42323 - in reply to #42217)

Elite Veteran

To use the classic phrase of "Ricky Ricardo" . . .

ESPLANE LUCY

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-05-29 1:36 PM (#42355 - in reply to #42217)

Veteran

First GOOD LUCK.Made your windows big like Sundowners has in bed area for air flow.Dont slap everything in quick an fast either seen way too many that way.Custom ordered trailers are worst No one we talked to where happy.Put in 2 not one air vent fans.Livingquarter trailers are way over priced but so are plain ones too.Dealerships can work with price/cost if they wanta make sell.Wouldn't redo trailer myself.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-01 9:28 AM (#42486 - in reply to #42355)

Extreme Veteran

In researching trailers on the net, I felt a little bit like Goldilocks...this one is toooo plain and this one is tooooo fancy.  And all of them are tooo expensive! So we decided to remodel the one we have. We have a 3 horse GN with a 3 ft short wall dressing room which we have had redesigned into a mini LQ. All of the campgrounds we stay at have bath houses and I have no desire to fool with water tanks and such so why take up space with a shower and vanity. We did put in a "bucket potty" for that first morning bladder call. We line it with a trash bag and fill it halfway with sawdust which absorbs the liquid and keeps down the odor. We put a bench on the long wall which opens for storage. In front of the bunk, we put steps to get into the bunk. These steps have cabinet doors which open for storage also. I hate wasted space. Also in front of the bunk, we built a cabinet for our fridge and microwave. The walls and ceiling are insulated and carpeted and the floor is vinyl for easy cleaning. We have just returned from our first long weekend since the renovations and I am tickled pink with our accomodations. In a few years, we will want to upgrade to a trailer with a little more space. I would like to have room for a dinette that converts to a bed since we have a grandson who will undoubtedly want to go with us when he's big enough. But in all my searching I have yet to see a trailer with a dinette that doesn't have the shower, etc.  I guess I could use the shower stall for a closet! Or most likely we'll end up buying a plain jane and doing it ourselves again. I just wanted to give you a little insight into what a lot of weekend riders are looking for. Everyone in our riding group feels the same way about the water issue and I'm sure we can't be the only ones. Why don't the trailer manufacturers make a spacious but simple LQ???  Hope this gives you some ideas to work with.              RIDE ON!

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-01 10:40 AM (#42496 - in reply to #42217)

Elite Veteran

How funny! I don't necessarily want elaborate, but at my weekend shows, I'd really rather shower in my own "house". I can eat anywhere, so don't need kitchen accommodations but really like the idea of not dragging my stuff half a mile to brush my teeth and put makeup on. It's all in your activities when you get there. That said, I agree with the last poster about storage that can double as other things-cabinet/step idea is very clever. Sturdy is obviously important. For me it would also be helpful to have a layout that could be done in stages; for one thing to see if you really use that space the way you think you will, for another you could add modules as you can afford/need them. FWIW
kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-06-01 3:01 PM (#42507 - in reply to #42496)

I don't want to impress the Jones. I don't even KNOW any Jones. I don't care about fancy: fancy means expensive, heavy, and trouble to care for. I'm on vacation, folks, I don't need or desire fancy. I want easy and simple.

S0, in no particular order, here's what matters to me:

weight- i don't want heavy builtin stuff as I'm hauling a buncha heavy stuff, too

Convenience - little things like drawers that don't open on the road, light switches, ample lighting, optional lighting, good drawer/shelf planning. Make use of every inch, intelligently.

Easy to clean, and lighter colors: I hate the astro-turfy stuff running up the wall to the GN inside- it's a good back scratcher but day-um it's ugly. Why not linoleum? Paneling? Something!

Counter tops- some sort of solid surface, stain resistant something would be great, or tile with dark grout. Maybe?

slide out with sofa. I've yet to sit in a dinette that was actually sit IN able for more than 2 minutes. Ugh.

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-06-01 4:48 PM (#42516 - in reply to #42486)

Veteran

Originally written by Dwight on 2006-06-01 9:28 AM

... All of the campgrounds we stay at have bath houses and I have no desire to fool with water tanks and such so why take up space with a shower and vanity. We did put in a "bucket potty" for that first morning bladder call. We line it with a trash bag and fill it halfway with sawdust which absorbs the liquid and keeps down the odor.

OH my gosh, that is a great idea.  I just spent $80 on a port-o-potty that leaked all over my new trailer, I was horrified.  I am definitly going to think about the bucket, what a great idea. 

Originally written by Dwight on 2006-06-01 9:28 AM

But in all my searching I have yet to see a trailer with a dinette that doesn't have the shower, etc.  I guess I could use the shower stall for a closet! Or most likely we'll end up buying a plain jane and doing it ourselves again. I just wanted to give you a little insight into what a lot of weekend riders are looking for. Everyone in our riding group feels the same way about the water issue and I'm sure we can't be the only ones. Why don't the trailer manufacturers make a spacious but simple LQ??? ...

I completely felt the same way.  When I started looking that is the normal interior that you see in "stock".  I thought it would be cheaper for me to do it myself... Boy when I started adding up my time and materials, WOW..  I actually got mine done and Sierra Conversions, they have many dealers to go through, they are located in Northern Indiana, but they have specific trailer packages that do not have water, potties and even custom shortwalls, etc.  I have a 4 foot shortwall and I have running water (wash hands with soap and water, brush teeth, etc (but no bathroom) it was a waste of space for me, as I show, and need the closet space.  They ended up putting a closet where the bathroom/shower would go and I mean I LOVE IT!  I can't tell you enough how many people have complimented me on the trailer.  There are other companies out there and Sierra was priced the best expecially for having so many different packages.  You can work with their dealers to get the exact layout you are looking for. 

It isn't just trail riders that are looking for different options, us show people feel the pain.  That is why I am so glad they work with you to get it exactly the way you want.  I could not be happier with it.  :)  We even managed to haul it down to the INDY 500 and camp the night before... Talk about our friends being jealous, they said it was nicer than their house!  ;)     

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)