'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Amendment to USDA Appropriations Bill

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-30 5:07 PM
12 replies, 3877 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-23 11:24 PM (#42189)
Subject: Amendment to USDA Appropriations Bill

Subject: Amendment to Agriculture Appropriations Bill - Harmful to Horse
Welfare

Rep. John Sweeney (R-NY) today will offer an amendment to the
Agriculture Appropriations Bill (H.R. 5384) that will drastically harm
the welfare of horses.

This amendment prohibits funds from the Food Safety Inspection Service
(FSIS) to inspect horses intended for slaughter or horsemeat; prohibits
funds from APHIS to allow horses intended for slaughter to travel
across international borders; and prohibits USDA funds from enforcing
or promulgating regulations that allow for "fee-for-service"
inspections.

These changes will affectively shutdown the horse slaughter plants and
will force the estimated 70,000 unwanted horses to find a new home.

Please call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and give them
your zip code - they will direct you to the Capitol office of your
Member of the House of Representatives. Please tell your Congressioal
offices to vote NO on the Sweeney Amendment to the Ag Approps Bill
(H.R. 5384).

Thank you!

Dr. Mark Lutschaunig
Acting Director
AVMA Governmental Relations Division
---
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-24 7:52 PM (#42226 - in reply to #42189)
Subject: RE: Amendment to USDA Appropriations Bill

Expert

OK, I'm confused {not at all unusual}

The claim that horses that would otherwise be destined for slaughter will now, "have to find new homes" doesn't necessarily lead (me) to a conclusion that they will be well cared for and live out their lives in peaceful pastures. I'm assuming that MANY of these horses are quite literally unwanted and the slaughter house is the end of the line. Making them endure further neglect and/or abuse by "staying alive" is a likely consequence of this amendment (IMO, BICBW).

bobbi'smom
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-24 9:34 PM (#42230 - in reply to #42189)

I emailed this to our Backcountry horseman group. This will get atttention all over washington state as we have a great email list. Be assured that horse lovers in wa will do their part.

this is a tough call. However, I am for humane ethutinasia fro all unwanted and neglected animals.

The way that the animals are hauled to slaughter is what I would like to see changed. Also I would like to see them put down by injection. Like my beloved animals are treated when it is their time to die.

Lets put our energy into getting bills passed for these animals to die with dignity.

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 12:19 PM (#42253 - in reply to #42189)

Extreme Veteran

I think the original poster intended to make the point that this bill should be opposed, as it would hurt horses welfare by effectively shutting down slaughter plants.  If that is the case, I agree.  Horse slaughter plants are the best thing for most horses that end up there.  It is reality and another law that inhibits the free market is not needed.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-25 1:33 PM (#42259 - in reply to #42189)

Elite Veteran

I think some folks expect horses that go to slaughter to be treated as we treat our own horses, but that isn't, nor can't be the case. Yes, it seems inhumane to use a pnuematic hammer blow to the brain. But it is quick, and much more cost effective than euthenasia(?) shots. The other thing, horses are animals, not humans, and are not accorded the same rights and treatment as humans. Though I would be willing to bet some of the horsey folks treat their animals better than they treat other humans. Don't get me wrong, there are some folks walking this planet I would have to think twice whether I was going to waste my spit on if they were ablaze, but horses are just that, horses. I do agree with the poster.
bobbi'smom
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 8:02 PM (#42272 - in reply to #42189)

yes, to make myself clear I agree the bill should be opposed.

still feel there has to be a better way than a blow to the head! far more costly to keep these poor horses alive then to give them a shot.

really how much could a shot cost???

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-05-26 1:47 PM (#42294 - in reply to #42259)

Veteran

Originally written by efaubert1 on 2006-05-25 1:33 PM . . . The other thing, horses are animals, not humans, and are not accorded the same rights and treatment as humans. . .
An amazing concept that more people need to be more aware of. If someone says, "How dare they use a pneumatic gun?" then that person should never eat a bite of beef that is how they "go." I've watched animals be put down and sometimes the "shot" is not exactly a pretty sight. Just read your newspaper about lethal injections for humans. It appears that you may not die quite right away. The stun guns drop animals on the spot. Painfree? I can't answer. Hey, the few horse owners who are worried about horses going to the slaughter house should WAKE UP . . . there are thousands, millions, who knows who support PETA who think a horse being ridden by a old, fat, guy like me is abuse. Course the horse may think so too. There are instances in Kansas City where good hearted people who resuce those old nags from the slaughter house are being sued by animal rights people for abuse. Be careful what you ask for - you may get it and more. Barry
lostinohio
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-05-27 3:02 AM (#42314 - in reply to #42189)

This is a sore and controversial subject for many horse owners. Not to mention names of prior entries, lets start with humane euthanasia by using bolt gun. My brother-in-law worked in a cattle meat packing plant for almost 20 years. Yes, the quick death rate by bolt usage was high, but you wouldn't want to see the ones that had to be hit again a second or third time. I don't believe this is an approved method of execution for death row inmates if it is suppose to be painless(oh, I forgot we're humans). Comparing horse slaughter to eating cattle? Last I checked it was legal in this country to sell and consume beef, can the same be said for horse meat? Cattle born in this country are destined for dairy or slaughter from birth. Horse slaughter is only done in this country because there is a market($$$$) overseas. Unfortunately, everything seems to revolve around money. How can I expect every horse owner to have their vet euthanise their horse plus pay rendering company fees when they can make some money selling their horse to slaughter. I thought horses were considered companion animals. I hope not to see dog and cat slaughter
allowed in the future to supply some other country. My 17 year old daughter considers her horse her best friend. Time permitting, you should check out the slaughter info on Netposse.com(theft of horses went down when a western state closed their horse slaughter plant with no rise in abuse/cruelty cases)--Thank You.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-29 9:01 PM (#42366 - in reply to #42189)

Thanks to all who have read and or replied. The problem is if the government closes the slaughter plants and closes the borders, what is next?
As to horses being "companion" animals, no they are not. They are livestock.
And yes, it is always about money.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-05-29 10:02 PM (#42378 - in reply to #42189)

Extreme Veteran

Jan,

I agree horses are livestock.  Through the years, we domesticated them to the point they are considered companion animals.  Ultimately, they are livestock.  I face this dillema each year with my 4-H and FFA kids when it comes time to sell their market steers, hogs and lambs.  They become so attached that they spend as much time with them as most do with their horse.  Ultimately there is a role these animals play.  We are getting way to many horses than we can support.  I know the cases have increased for us with the Extension Service with regards to animal cruelty cases on horses.  Too many people have them and don't understand how to take care of them.  We need a market for these animals to go.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-30 7:53 AM (#42391 - in reply to #42189)

Hi Derek

We wish could legislate common sense and responsibility.    Happy Trails.  Jan

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-30 8:15 AM (#42392 - in reply to #42230)

Expert

Originally written by bobbi'smom on 2006-05-24 8:34 PM

The way that the animals are hauled to slaughter is what I would like to see changed. Also I would like to see them put down by injection. Like my beloved animals are treated when it is their time to die.

I agree with humane hauling ... 

Lethal injection would and should, never be used for slaughter animals.  It would be an adulterant to the meat.  Getting sleepy after a big steak dinner would have a new meaning!

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-05-30 5:07 PM (#42414 - in reply to #42189)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with hosspuller.  We need to follow the same standards on horses that we use on cattle, swine and lamb.  There are several medications that have a withdrawal period just for vaccinating cattle that we have to follow in the livestock industry.  There is a reason that a bolt gun is used.  We have to protect our food supply for both ourselves and those abroad.  Whether or not we eat consume horses in this country is irrevelant.  We have to protect the food supply for all that might come in contact with the animal.  If we use an injection, we are unable to have that animal used for consumption.  Now we have to find alternative means to dispose of the carcass.  Granted, a bolt gun is not the easiest thing to watch, it remains a viable way to ensure that we protect our food supply. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)