'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Husband blew electric

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-09-07 10:43 AM
12 replies, 6579 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Three 4 Luck
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-09-04 9:13 AM (#154528)
Subject: Husband blew electric

Regular

I've had LQ trailers for a long time, but my husband never messed with a trailer until the one we recently bought. He knew not what he did when he tried to run roof air, and microwave at the same time with the trailer adapted to a 110 plug. So now there is no power at all in the LQ. I flipped all the breakers in trailer and barn, reset the outlet, and am thinking at this point that he blew something in the converter? What is the chance of a reset fixing it? Right now I can't get the freaking cover off the thing to look for a reset button.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-09-04 9:42 AM (#154529 - in reply to #154528)
Subject: RE: Husband blew electric

Expert

Check to see if your barn circuit is actually reset and you have power to the receptacle. Depending upon your trailer's electrical panel, there may be a bank of breakers and a strip of fuses. There will be one breaker that has larger value than the others; this will be the "master". Try to reset it again.Some converters are equipped with fuses which protect it from DC shorts. Some will have a fuse for overloads as well. Some converters are built into panels, some are stand alone devices. It's difficult to say which protection a unit employs without knowing what type and brand you own.
Three 4 Luck
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-09-04 10:29 AM (#154530 - in reply to #154528)

Regular

There is definitely power to the plug in the barn. I found 2 30 amp fuses on one of the 2 power boxes that are in the closet behind the fuse panel. I still can't get the cover off the top one--it says pull out and lift--I broke 8 out of 10 nails trying to get the dang thing off. I'll try replacing the fuses. My old trailer had a reset button on the converter, but it never quit working completely, just stopped swapping from battery to AC. This has zero power to ANYTHING. I can't even start the generator.
janjan1
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2013-09-04 2:03 PM (#154540 - in reply to #154528)

Im so glad you posted this problem since Ive got the same issue right now. It has been plugged into my outside plug at my home with the 110 plug also. One minute the AC was working, the next time I checked, nada. Ive got a Keifer 3 horse slant Evolution. After flipping breakers in the house, checking the plug/outlet into the outside, I guessed that it was something flipped in my trailer. So I went looking. I found my electrical box and have one side has the breakers and the other side has fuses.  I flipped the breakers and will be checking all the fuses next. I dont have a reset button. With it being so hot outside right now, (Im in Georgia) I've been keeping my trailer plugged in and the AC set on low because Ive got a ride coming up and I want to make sure everything works for it. Nothing worse than coming in from a trail ride expecting it to be nice and cool, wanting to take a shower and NADA.

Jan

Jan

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-09-04 4:06 PM (#154545 - in reply to #154528)

Expert

You will need a voltmeter or a test light and have a comfort and familiarity with working on live electrical circuits. Some LQ's have a surge protector, which if faulty, can prevent power from entering the trailer. If you have one of these, then look at the diagnostic lights and determine if there is power at the surge protector. If there is power there, then work your way back to the next point which should be your charger/inverter or converter or if you have a generator you will also have to test for power at the power transfer switch. I cannot provide details on how to do test your transfer switch- you could try this site for further instruction:p: http://www.progressivedyn.com/troubleshooting_transfer_relay.html. It shows how to diagnose power transfer switch problems. Your transfer switch may be different but the procedures should be the same.If the transfer switch is working properly, then test for power between the power transfer switch or power cord and inverter/converter. If you have power there, then work your way back to main 110 volt circuit breaker(s). You will probably have to remove the cover panel to the breaker(s) to test for voltage at the wire(s) that connect to the breaker(s). If you have power at the wires then replace the breaker.

Edited by PaulChristenson 2013-09-04 4:08 PM
Three 4 Luck
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-09-05 8:41 AM (#154555 - in reply to #154528)

Regular

My dad is coming over today. He's pretty handy with electricity and wiring from working on farm stuff for the last 5 decades. The fuses didn't fix it, I still can't get the cover off the converter, but I did discover that the adapter was melted to the cord. Trashed that one and starting over. I think he's going to fix me a 30 amp outlet.
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-09-05 1:10 PM (#154558 - in reply to #154528)

Veteran

The cover on some converters are held by clips See Link>>>>>http://www.bestconverter.com/Door-Latch-4-pack_p_85.html#.UijJCMashQY
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-09-05 1:13 PM (#154559 - in reply to #154528)

Veteran

This link may or may not apply here?? I thought I would share in case this may help someone>>>>> >>>https://bestconverter.3dcartstores.com/MagnetekParallax-to-Ultra-III_ep_8-1.html
turbodog13
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2013-09-06 11:42 AM (#154581 - in reply to #154528)

Turn all breakers off & then back on....sometimes just turning them on doesn't reset them.
Three 4 Luck
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-09-06 2:03 PM (#154584 - in reply to #154528)

Regular

I've flipped all the breakers off and on several times. Nada. Last night, we discovered that there wasn't juice going from battery to LQ and a switch was thrown there. I reset that and got juice going from battery to converter, but nothing past that.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-09-07 8:12 AM (#154602 - in reply to #154528)

Elite Veteran

I don't believe the converter is the issue in either case here. In the little Kiefer, the AC is wired 110V direct, with no 12V functions. If it isn't working, then it isn't getting 110V. First, check the outlet the trailer is plugged in to. Then reset all 110V flip breakers in the box. THird check the master GFI reset which will be on one of the receptacles. You are just following the power through the circuit- starting @ barn's plug.

On the original post, sounds like the 30-15 adapter melted and created an open. Fact it melted to the cord doesn't sound good.  

goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-09-07 9:46 AM (#154603 - in reply to #154528)

Veteran

RTS is right. Electric is really fairly simple. It is all linear. It flows the path of least resistance and goes until it is stopped. The fact that the chord melted may mean the whole cord is bad. Have you used a different cord?
The electric coming from the barn will be 110VAC 60HZ power. All AC power in the states has that. The AC unit runs on that alone, as you probably already know. The question is amps, which is the amount of the 110VAC 60Hz power you need. In this case 30 amps is required. The barn, unless specifically wired for 30amp plugs, only has 15-20 amps available. That is all the breaker will hold and also what the cord and wiring will take. As the cord melted, you can be assured that it pulled more than the cord was capable of. If the trailer checks out, the bard electric still has power to the plug, then I would get a different cord between the barn and trailer.
Three 4 Luck
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-09-07 10:43 AM (#154605 - in reply to #154528)

Regular

We finally found the master switch!!!!! It was outside the battery box under the gooseneck, half hidden and unlabeled. Flipped it back on and voila! Power again. And yes, I was aware that the air maxed out the available amps, but my husband did not. He does now. LOL. We are going to rewire the barn outlet to a 30 amp and I've already upgraded to a new heavier cord.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)