'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking for Shawnee info

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-21 8:42 AM
11 replies, 5741 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-11 6:24 PM (#113045)
Subject: Looking for Shawnee info

Regular

It looks like we might have a chance to get down to Shawnee NF this weekend / early next week - sans horses.  This is a last minute thing to scout ahead for a hopeful future trip and I was wondering where people would recommend for dayhiking and which campgrounds to check out for a future horse camping trip?  We're more interested in the rustic areas closer to the trails, electric is not desired, pit johns are fine and a hand pump is good enough for a water source - and we definately don't want a dance hall / saloon at the campground encouraging a frat house atmosphere.  We'd rather cook our own meals and relax around a quiet fire. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on campgrounds or sights to see.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2009-11-11 9:12 PM (#113050 - in reply to #113045)
Subject: RE: Looking for Shawnee info

Veteran

As for campgrounds, it depends on what sites you want to ride to.  Everyone has favorites, and there are lots of good campgrounds down there. 

I prefer Hayes, clean, nice hookups, good riding within nice distance. Bear Branch is close to Hayes, same riding, just more expensive and not as nice of sites (my opinion on the sites).  Circle B is just a bit away from there, can ride between Hayes, BB and Circle B easily too.  Little lusk is super nice camping too, a bit far from BB and Hayes.  High knob has good riding, but not great camping.  Bay Creek is a nice campground, I've only drove by, not stayed there.  Pick up a Trail-Rider magazine, they have some of the campgrounds listed there. 

If your visiting, make sure to see Garden of the Gods, Rimrock and visit McKinney's in Marion, it's the BEST WESTERN STORE YOU'LL EVER FIND!!!!!!!

Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-11 10:47 PM (#113055 - in reply to #113050)

Regular

This is just a scouting trip and we hope to get some dayhikes in. I've already gotten the impression that we should stay away from Bear Branch, it's just hard to tell from the websites off the Forest Service web page what campgrounds are really like. And without having been down there before we don't know where to focus. I've heard of Garden of the Gods, Rimrock is not ringing a bell, I'll have to search for info on that. Thanks.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-11-12 10:13 AM (#113073 - in reply to #113045)

Extreme Veteran

There is a drastic difference between the desirable camping locations for foot hiking vs horse back riding.

For horse back riding Hayes is our favorite. And I'd avoid Bear branch.

For foot hiking you want to get closer to the trails than some of the Horse camps over. Hayes would be good. You can hike the Hayes canyon, Double Branch hole area.

If you are strictly primitive, and carry your own water, then you could park at the Indian Kitchen trail head and hike the trails along Lusk creek and the Indian Kitchen area. Or you could park at the base of the Saw Mill and hike the trails in and around the Rock house area. Or you could park at Blanchard church and hike the trails into the Secret canyon area. Or you could park at the Garden of the Gods trail head and hike the trails aound there. Or, you could park at the first cemetery on Macanelly rd and hike the Dog Wood Hollow area. Lots of choices. I have not seen a hikers guide for the area, just know the ones above from seeing hikers on these trails.

For foot camping I'd avoid Circle B, Little Lusk, Bear Branch, High Knob and Double M simply because it is too far from the camp ground to the scenic trails.
dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2009-11-18 4:57 AM (#113324 - in reply to #113045)

Regular

There is a woman that owns a place down there with stalls and hookups.  She also will guide you through the Shawnee.  I have been to her place and went on the ride.  It was beautiful and I would go again.  Having her guide the ride was the best.  She didn't ask for money but we gave her what we felt was a fair price for the stay and the guided ride.  You can contact her by going to mtra.org site and search the forums for a lady named JoJo.  Thats how I got a hold of her.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-20 3:25 PM (#113467 - in reply to #113324)

Regular

Originally written by dbelling on 2009-11-18 5:57 AM

There is a woman that owns a place down there with stalls and hookups.  She also will guide you through the Shawnee.  I have been to her place and went on the ride.  It was beautiful and I would go again.  Having her guide the ride was the best.  She didn't ask for money but we gave her what we felt was a fair price for the stay and the guided ride.  You can contact her by going to mtra.org site and search the forums for a lady named JoJo.  Thats how I got a hold of her.
Thanks for the idea, we might have to look into this for the future. We just got back yesterday and quite honestly almost all of the campgrounds we toured were not what we had in mind. We stayed one night at Johnson Creek Nat. For. campground and that is what we think of as a nice campground, but it's pretty far from the riding we were interested in checking out. We drove through and talked with several of the other owner / operators and I realize the economic necessity of getting as many people into as small a spot as possible but most of the places had you right on top of your neighbor. When I think camping, I think of peace and quiet, not someone else's campfire 15' away. I'm not trying to knock any campground or anyone's opinion but how would you relax?I thought I read in the rules that dispersed camping is allowed under certain circumstances. Are there any two tracks that you can just pull off of and set up camp?
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-11-20 3:31 PM (#113469 - in reply to #113467)

Extreme Veteran

"Are there any two tracks that you can just pull off of and set up camp?

Yes, lots of them. I mentioned several above. Some of the ones I mentioned allow for disperse camping with horses. And there are many more that allow disperse camping with horses.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-20 3:55 PM (#113472 - in reply to #113469)

Regular

Originally written by bbsmfg3 on 2009-11-20 4:31 PM

"Are there any two tracks that you can just pull off of and set up camp?Yes, lots of them. I mentioned several above. Some of the ones I mentioned allow for disperse camping with horses. And there are many more that allow disperse camping with horses.
Great, I thought you were referring to places to park for hiking. We got the "interim trails map" from the Harrisburg HQ, I don't have it in front of me but are these places you mentioned easy to find on the map?
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-11-20 7:37 PM (#113477 - in reply to #113472)

Extreme Veteran

"are these places you mentioned easy to find on the map"

Some are, but most are not.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-21 7:07 AM (#113482 - in reply to #113477)

Regular

Originally written by bbsmfg3 on 2009-11-20 8:37 PM

"are these places you mentioned easy to find on the map"Some are, but most are not.
Are the park staff helpful in suggesting or finding places? We stopped at McKinneys in Marion and they gave us the impression that the park rangers are less than enthusiastic about the equestrians in the forest. Either way, I'd be interested in hearing about more places to primitive camp off the two tracks and lesser traveled roads. Thanks.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-11-21 7:58 AM (#113483 - in reply to #113482)

Extreme Veteran

"Are the park staff helpful in suggesting or finding places?"

Most are helpful, but the ones that are in the office are usually not very helpful. Mainly because they don't know the forest. Those out in the field are very helpful. Especially those building and repairing the trails.

The best way to find the "off the beaten" track locations is to ask one of us that ride the forest regularly.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-21 8:42 AM (#113486 - in reply to #113483)

Regular

The best way to find the "off the beaten" track locations is to ask one of us that ride the forest regularly.
Will do, hopefull next year we'll get a chance to head down, but it looks like a very interesting place.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)