'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Big South Fork

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-28 4:58 PM
11 replies, 4601 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-19 8:06 PM (#84250)
Subject: Big South Fork

Hi gang.  I've been lurking here for quite some time and have learned a ton. I quit showing paints last year and now hubby and I are going to spend our spare time trail riding. He has a Rocky and I will ride an 18 yr old QH until my Spotted Mtn gelding is ready to go. We'll get him started later this summer or fall. We're from PA.

We have a week-long trip planned to Big South Fork in July. We're staying at Honeycreek Horse Camp. Any tips for us?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Forty
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-19 8:44 PM (#84256 - in reply to #84250)
Subject: RE: Big South Fork

BSF is our favorite place to ride. We camp there twice each year for a week in spring and fall. We always stay at Bandy Creek which is close to Honey Creek. The riding is great. You can reach several great trails from Honey Creek. You must see Eye of the Needle, Devil's Den and the O&W Bridge overlook which are very close to HC. The entire O& W Railroad Bed trail is beautiful. Another great ride is to Charit Creek Lodge, but it would be a long ride from HC. Charit Creek Lodge is an old Log structure built in the early 1800's and the park service runs it now as a lodge only accessibile by horse or on foot.
There are many more places to ride at BSF but you will need to trailer your horses to other places within the park. I hope you like as much as we do!
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-19 9:03 PM (#84260 - in reply to #84256)

Thanks for the reply. We're really looking forward to it. I've been doing a little research so that the trip will be a good one. We'll be sure to ride to the places you suggested. How about the weather in early July? Hot, I suppose and humid.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-05-20 6:43 PM (#84348 - in reply to #84260)

Extreme Veteran

Just got back Sunday from there great place to ride like to stay at Bandy creek.
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-05-22 4:32 PM (#84491 - in reply to #84250)

Veteran

Honey Creek is great we go there 2 or 3 times a year the people are great and the trails are great you'll enjoy it.
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-22 7:32 PM (#84503 - in reply to #84491)

Thanks. I was hoping someone would reply with a favorable response. We've never been there and I worried about picking a bad campground. Are the trail easy to follow from there?
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2008-05-23 5:13 AM (#84532 - in reply to #84250)

Extreme Veteran

I have heard horror stories about a road in BSF. Anybody know anything about this? Is it near Brandy Creek?
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-23 6:34 AM (#84536 - in reply to #84532)

I copied this from another thread on this forum. It came from page 6. There is a thread titled Big South Fork and has a lot of good information. Debbie

If you are getting there from I-40, I would suggest getting off at the Crossville, TN exit & heading North on US 127 into Jamestown, TN.  You 'DO NOT' want to come in toward True West Campground from the East on highway 297 into the Big South Fork.  Going through the gorge will hurt your truck, trailer & also the brakes.  It is about a 13 - 14% downhill grade with many sharp switch backs.  On the map, that might seem closer, but the extra 30 minutes to 1 hour to go around is more than worth it to not mess up your rig.  The gorge is where highway 297 crosses the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River just east of Scott State Forest.  The road is steep on both sides.  Here is a link to the National Park Service map of the area in PDF format.

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-05-23 11:55 AM (#84565 - in reply to #84250)

Veteran

The gorge is bad and for the bigger rigs impossible. Go around it if possible if you have a bigger rig if you have a small rig and plenty of truck to handle it its not that bad. And yes the trails at Honey Creek are easy to follow and they will provide you with a map and give you plenty of suggested trails to fit your needs and skill level. Its not as much like RV style camping as Bandy, but a very nice, clean place its our favorite camp at BSF.

Edited by dixie 2008-05-23 11:59 AM
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-26 3:03 PM (#84673 - in reply to #84565)

Thanks, Dixie. We just got back from a long weekend at Allegheny National Forest in PA. Had a great time and wonderful riding. Can't wait for vacation in TN.
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-05-28 2:57 PM (#84823 - in reply to #84250)

Veteran

I just got back from a 8 day stint at Bandy Creek. Had a blast, the weather was great and the trails are wonderful as are Gretta and Bobby Gene. I have an 8 ft wide 23 ft long 2 horse LQ and come up the gorge. What damage could that dirve do to my truck and rig?

The only year I have not been to Bandy was last year and my Ford transmission had to be replaced. Do you think that ws from the 6 previous trips up and down the gorge or was it becasue it is a Ford diesel? I have heard they have extreme trouble with transmissions.

I would stay no where else at Big South Fork. East Fork is too primitive and muddy for camping. The rest camp you on top of each other. IT ws funny this year. We stopped at Wild West to shop for tack and the owner ask if we came up every year, then ask where we camp and then ask us to consider Wild West. Sorry but there is no comparison between these two camping spots. Wild West is in full sun, camps on top of each other, no pads etc.

Look into Bandy Creek. I have been going there for about 10 - 15 years now for at least a week every year. Last year our group decided to go somewhere else and were very disappointed.

It was worth the $420 in fuel to get there.
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-28 4:58 PM (#84828 - in reply to #84823)

We couldn't decide between Bandy Creek and Honey Creek. We chose Honey Creek because of size. We don't like to stay in big places. We do want to drive to Bandy Creek to check it out for another visit though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)