'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
founder recovery

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-07 8:51 AM
11 replies, 6633 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-01-26 1:43 PM (#75325)
Subject: founder recovery

Veteran

I just rescued a horse that has foundered in the past. She is a big reg. Paint mare with lots of Thourghbred in her bloodlines. The person that had her fell on hard times and a few of her horses had to go. I was told that this mare had foundered in the past but is now sound and can be ridden as normal. I have ridden the mare and she is fine, no signs of soreness or pain. She does have shoes on but just everyday normal shoes. She is a little slower walking when on concrete or rocks but otherwise a nice smooth ride. I was told that this mare needs to be on a small diet of low protein pellets.

She has a small dent (for lack of better word) in one of her hoofs but that is the only sign of any kind of problem.

I guess my question is, are horses that have foundered in the past more prone to founder in the future? And what other problems will I have in the furture from this horse?

I only bought her to keep her from falling into the wrong hands but now that I have her I am getting real attached to her and just need to know what the future holds if I do decide to keep her.

oh yeah, I talked to the farrier that has been shoeing this horse since her founder and he said that she will be fine as a trail horse (which is all I do) but will never be a speed or roping horse.

Does anyone else out there have a horse that has these same issues?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-01-26 2:14 PM (#75327 - in reply to #75325)
Subject: RE: founder recovery

Extreme Veteran

Yes they are prone to founder. You will be able to ride her but she is limited to her work load. I have one and the kids ride the heck out of him and I have used him for teampenning but to use him in a ranch/feedlot work or long trail rides he won't make it. You will just have to take her out and try her. 

Edited by hconley 2008-01-26 2:16 PM
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-01-26 2:20 PM (#75329 - in reply to #75325)

Extreme Veteran

Exactly what was said above, should be fine for light work. Just watch the feed, once you find a diet that works for the horse stick to it.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-01-26 3:04 PM (#75333 - in reply to #75325)

Extreme Veteran

I have had two trail horses that had been foundered.  Both went on to do hundreds of trail miles. 

Later in life, they had some joint stiffness which I treated with daily BL pellets and the occasional dose of bute.

I sold the gelding at the age of 19 to an older lady who just wanted to ride around her property. 

I still have the mare.  She is 25 now and is basically retired except for taking really little kids on short rides around home.  Her knees are very arthritic, so I don't ask her to carry more than about 60 pounds and only at a walk.  She always seemed to have an instinct about small children.   I rode her until she was about 18 and she was a ball of fire!  We could ride 20 miles and she would be ready for more.  But if you put a baby on her back, she turned into a puppy dog.

I think with a little extra care, you and your new horse will have a lot of fun together.

RIDE ON!

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-27 7:25 AM (#75361 - in reply to #75325)

Elite Veteran

If you decide to keep her, You might want to consider a set of x-rays as a baseline for the coffin bone rotation. This becomes helpful should she founder again to see if any further damage has occured. Watch out for Spring grasses and high concentrate feeds. A drylot would be best for her. And of course plenty of exercise to keep her fit. 

Another thought too is how old is this mare? Cushing's disease and metoblic disease can cause laminitic episodes too, so if the horse did not founder from feed/grass or hard surfaces, then you might want to test her for these two dieseases also. Some Cushing horses do not get the long hair until later in the diesease, but you will see an increase in water intake, difficult to settle after being bred etc.

Founder can be successfully managed, but it takes diligence on protecting her from future episodes. I have heard of a product called Remission to control laminitis episodes, but have never used it - http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=d54319d4-0302-4385-932e-3ee2db9f7b2f

Hope you have a great time with her on the trails!

Edited by ponytammy 2008-01-27 7:27 AM
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-01-27 7:35 AM (#75362 - in reply to #75325)

Veteran

If you don't have a dry lot for the mare.Then you may consider a muzzle.The kind with just a little hole in the bottom .That way they can go out with the herd ,and can still eat a little grass ,and drink.we had an older gelding in which had laminitis and rotatated 12% We later found out that he had cushings.They can also have something else called equine metobolic disorder.Very similer to diabetics! So with high carbs and the sugers in the new grasses causes them to founder more quickly.This gelding did fine for years out with the herd with this muzzle.,and no episodes.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-27 9:56 AM (#75370 - in reply to #75361)

Expert

I second a good set of X-rays and you should check the rotation regularly to allow the farrier to maximize her comfort when rotation occurs.

Another note that hasn't been mentioned here is that you should be careful with her weight.  Don't let her get fat, the extra weight on her feet could speed the rotation process and cause her constant pain.

Be diligent in her feeding regimen, hay and feed should stay at the same protein levels as much as can be controlled to avoid future episodes.

Good luck!

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-01-28 7:46 PM (#75479 - in reply to #75325)

Veteran

Thank you all for the great advice. I took her out on the trails yesterday and she did great. She led the pack the whole way. While walking across some rocks she didn't even flench but when walking across concrete, she never slowed down but had a ever so slight limp to her, I wouldn;t even have noticed it if I had not been looking for it. This mare foundered over 4years ago and has been fine since. She foundered due to someone not knowing anything about horses gave her free choice alfalfa feed. She is now on Nutrena Triumph Pellets 12% and has been on them for four years and has done fine. I will continue her on this feed for that reason. She is an excellent mare and I have several people who want to buy her, one lady (a friend of mine) wants her for her 10 year old little girl as a 4H horse. I think that would be great for this mare due to the weight of the rider. But I really like this mare and the comfort of her ride. UGH!! decisions!!
Thanks again!!
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-29 8:11 AM (#75511 - in reply to #75479)

Expert

I don't think a 10 year old kid will understand why she can't ride this mare into the ground with her friends...
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-29 8:51 AM (#75516 - in reply to #75511)

Expert

What she said.
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-01-29 2:09 PM (#75545 - in reply to #75325)

Veteran

Under normal circumstances I could see where you guys were coming from, but this lady keeps her children and their horses under her thumb. They are never allowed to canter their horses unless they have permission. And they are not granted permission very often. She has them doing Trail Class and Halter Class in the 4H shows. I am the same way with my daughter, we don't allow our children to run their horses in the ground!!
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-07 8:51 AM (#76306 - in reply to #75325)

Veteran

My daughter's mare foundered 2 months after I bought her. It was spring and she was on grass the same as the rest of the herd.  The vet x-rayed and said he had never seen 18 degrees of rotation on a living horse. He figured she would only ever be 'pasture sound', yet never safe to be turned out on one.

She spent a week in styrofoam boots and bute until she could take the 3 hour trailer ride to an awesome farrier who follows the Pete Ramey school of thought, and other similar farriers.  He put her in natural balance shoes and gave me the list of what I could and couldn't do - NO oats, NO alfalfa, NO 100% turnout on the grass until it was so hot the stuff was barely growing. 

Three years later, the mare has never worn shoes again, and has never seen alfalfa or oats.  In the spring she spends equal time in my riding arena and on pasture (this works for her, but might need to be more strict with a different horse). She has been 100% sound ever since.  My daughter is not the kind of rider that wears out a horse, so it's probably a good match.  She uses her for horse shows, trail rides, team penning, and gymkhana. This little mare is worth her weight in gold, even with the extra work required to make sure she never founders again.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)