'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How old is too old for a stallion to be gelded?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-18 9:50 AM
11 replies, 11762 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

azmusclecar
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-03 9:40 AM (#68770)
Subject: How old is too old for a stallion to be gelded?

I have owned both mares and geldings but I am receiving a stallion courtesy of an ill family member. I believe the stallion is about 10 years old. I did a search on this and didn't come up with anything. I'm trying to educate myself as to the good and bad as far as owning a stallion before I take ownership. Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thank you.I did raed the post below regarding gelding, I just was curious as to the max age if there is one. The post titled Gelding has some good info at the directed website.

Edited by azmusclecar 2007-10-03 11:35 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-10-03 12:05 PM (#68777 - in reply to #68770)
Subject: RE: How old is too old for a stallion to be gelded?

Elite Veteran

You should contact an an experienced Equine Veternarian to geld an older stallion. Gelding an older stallion requires more specilaized surgery than a young one, this is due to more bleeding and recovery time. It can be done, my friend just gelded her 10 year-old stallion two months ago. Just don't expect him to act like a gelding right away though. He will always have stallion like tendancys if he was used for breeding, that doesn't mean he won't be a useful horse. What ever his temperment is now, will not change with gelding. Good ground training and saddle time will improve his usefulness. 
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-10-03 12:34 PM (#68780 - in reply to #68777)

Extreme Veteran

They don't all keep stallion tendancys. We gelded an older stallion, and there was a lot of bleeding, and in less than a years time he lost all of his stallion ways. He was starting to get rank and we didn't need that. We had two other good stallions that were gentlemen. We sold him to some people with kids and he did great for them.
Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-03 12:48 PM (#68781 - in reply to #68770)

Veteran

Do a search for gelding an older stallion/don't limit it by date.
There is some pretty good information on it.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-03 12:53 PM (#68782 - in reply to #68770)

Extreme Veteran

I agree, discuss this with a well seasoned, experienced vet.  I would also take the time to go to some farms that have experienced stallion handlers and talk to them.  Even gelding the guy isn't going to change his 'tude right away.  I would say 95% of all stallions at some time exhibit the 'tude.  It is how you address it that can cause behavior problems.  Trying to man handle a stud will get you hurt and ingrain bad behavior.   They require utmost respect.  There are the few that act totally like geldings, but those honestly are few and far between.   I strongly advise you to get with a professional trainer as well to discuss working with you and the stallion for a while, supervision during transition is the best thing you can do.  The stallion needs to learn you, respect you, and trust you.  It will take quite some time, especially since he will be quite set in "his" ways already.

Also be prepared for him to be hard on your fences and stalls.  Even after gelding, he will have some testosterone in him for quite some time and can impregnate a mare.  I had a very well mild mannered stallion on our property, was very respectful, highly trained, but one day the neighbors mare was in heat and he went bezerk, he busted out of his tall, tore up my barn, and tore down several fences to get to her.  Also we had mares in heat at our place, but he wanted something on the other side of the fence.  It is just like men, not all women will attract them, some give off more estrogen scents then others, and the guy will want to go after her.

This same stud also went through several oak boards to get to a draft mare in heat.  After that I called the owner and had him removed.  I suffered at least $5000 in property damage, that to this day has not been remedied. 

The moral of the story is, no matter how well trained, mannered, etc a stallion may seem, they can turn when you least expect it.  Plus if they want something bad enough, they will hurt themselves to get to it.  Breeding sometimes clouds their judgement and the instinct to reprocreate is stronger than their bond with their human. 

So just be cautious, and get LOTS of help, and spend time with breeders, trainers and most of get supervision while handling him!

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-10-03 6:58 PM (#68791 - in reply to #68770)

Extreme Veteran

We gelded one at 14.  Surgery went well but 6 months later, he impaled himself on a fence post trying to get to a mare.  This is just one bad experience.  I am sure there are plenty of folks who have had better luck.  Just be very careful where you keep him afterwards.

RIDE ON!

azmusclecar
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-04 9:30 AM (#68809 - in reply to #68791)

Well having read what I've read, and listened to some experienced people with stallions, I really need to read even more, and listen even more. I spoke to a horse boarding place that does take stallions and received a lot of information there. It seems they have "pony" stallions that are absolutely girl crazy and will do anything and everything to get out and then they have huge draft stallions that behave like gentleman when their thoughts turn to sharing their genes.This looks like it will be a real educational experience.
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-10-06 9:24 PM (#68913 - in reply to #68770)

Veteran

We had 10 year old gelded last spring.He was never studdy.He knew when was time to do his job and we kept him on best quite behavior.We treated him with respect but rode him at parks(no one knew he was stud  until looked).We sold him this summer after had few months under saddle.All stallions/studs aren't same so please be careful as said never had stallion before.Best of luck gelding doing good thing for horse.
freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-10-06 11:03 PM (#68915 - in reply to #68770)

Interesting that this topic should show up-we are currently dealing with two different neighbors who BOTH have older stallions that keep showing up at our place to visit our mares. These arab stallions are not aggressive towards people but we definitely do NOT want them with our Quarter Horse mare or our mini mare! Neither horse, IMO, should have been left intact. They were both "impulse" or "ego" purchases for their owners and neither is used for anything other than a lawn ornament. MY lawn lately! We have spent several thousand dollars in reinforcing our fences since bringing our horses home last month. We have 5 foot tall wooden fencing with two strands of electric. The stallions are only "enclosed" by two to three strand barbed wire fencing. I am afraid to ride down our gravel road for fear of having to fend off one of these stallions. Animal control just gives the owners "warnings", although they did cite one of the owners for neglect. Any suggestions on how to deal with this (pun intended) "nightmare"? Would pepper spray work for "attacks" on the trail? My apologies if I have taken this topic off track!
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-07 8:56 PM (#68962 - in reply to #68770)

Extreme Veteran

A lawsuit would work.  Next time one gets loose, file charges for property damage, and criminal trespass.   They have a legal obligation to ensure these horses are kept in safe, sturdy, enclosures.  If they escape and do damage to your property, they are legally obligated to compensate you for the repairs.  If they are aware their horses get out, and you can prove this (ie: surveillance cameras showing this is a frequent thing) you can have them charged with criminal trespass in some states or willful endangerment of others. 

Also check with your state, as some states require you to have liability insurance if you own a stallion. 

trinabug
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-10-16 1:34 PM (#69456 - in reply to #68770)

good luck...I asked this same question ....got lots of great advice.....but when it came down to it I had to go with my own instincts....I have a friend that gelded a breeding stallion at 22 and I have friends that ride stallions that you would never know were stallions....mine is 18 and I descided to leave him that way.....but I did lots of research and called tons of equine vets.....10 isn't very old....just do your research and do whats best for your horse in your situation.....I hope everything works out for you
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-10-18 9:50 AM (#69567 - in reply to #68770)

Extreme Veteran

they are never too old to be gelded!   As several others have said make sure you consult w/ a good equine vet, and probably have it done in a surgical facility rather than out in the field.

a friend had her 17 yr old breeding stallion gelded and it's taken about a year for him to not act studdy but he's fine now, you'd never know he'd recently been intact.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)