'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sooner vs Sundowner....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-12 12:30 PM
11 replies, 7244 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-07 1:28 PM (#40082)
Subject: Sooner vs Sundowner....

In my search for a Sooner trailer i have come across quite a few Sundowners....my question from all you knowledgeable people is.....are they really comparible in quality?
Sundowner has a lot of things i really like,they are more accessible here in Canada...but i sure don't want to sacrifice quality for convienience.
Thanx in advance for your replies

Oh...and why don't my smilies work:)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ms. Trailer
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-07 2:01 PM (#40083 - in reply to #40082)
Subject: RE: Sooner vs Sundowner....

Regular

Obviously, the main difference is steel frame vs. aluminum frame. It is common knowledge that aluminum will hold up far longer, is far lighter, and has a much better resale value. IMO, Sooner's quality is at the top.
OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-07 5:36 PM (#40085 - in reply to #40082)

Should I even comment! haha.....
Haflingers4Me
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-07 5:46 PM (#40087 - in reply to #40085)

Just dying to hear what you have to say, OKCowboy.
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-07 7:43 PM (#40090 - in reply to #40082)

This was NOT meant to be a slam against Sooner in any way..i think i made that perfectly clear right from the start....In fact Sooner WAS my first choice.I realize there are Sooner dealers AND Sundowner dealers on the board...i was just hoping to get some feedback without tongue in cheek comments.
Close this thread if it's going to get contraversial...i was just seeking a bit more information in my search.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-04-07 8:36 PM (#40092 - in reply to #40090)

Extreme Veteran

In the early 90's Sooner was one of the best trailers on the market after several owners they have slipped considerably. I'm not real wild about Sundowner but if I had to pick between the two it would probably be Sundowner( the 720 not the 727) But either one will probably hold up. The Sundowner will probably be easier to sell. Just my opinion.
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-07 9:00 PM (#40093 - in reply to #40083)

Veteran

"It is common knowledge that aluminum will hold up far longer, is far lighter, and has a much better resale value."

Waaaaay too much generalization in this statement for me to agree with it.

Both Sooner and Sundowner make good trailers. The original purchase price, local demand for the configuration and ongoing maintenance and care you give a trailer has far more influence on resale value than steel vs aluminum in my opinion. I don't know what your criteria are (everybody has different ones) but I didn't buy my trailers for their resale value.  I bought them for hauling my horses and meeting my needs. An extremely open-ended solicitation of opinions will get very open ended and unspecific (is that a word?) responses.  Consider them very carefully.

I suggest you figure out what configuration and features you like and then go looking with your list in hand. Good luck on finding a trailer that you like that meets your needs. 

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-04-08 12:22 AM (#40097 - in reply to #40082)

Veteran

We bought Sundowner in 1999 3 horse Full livingquarters.No problems ever with it.It sat out side ever winter except last year.Still looks NEW except tire rims need fresh paint.LOW or little maintance up keep.We recently looked for new or used 2 horse for day rides an vet trips.We ended up buying Sundowner again,the Stampede 2 horse with small dressing room.They gave us best deal of all dearlers at HHF.Good Luck on your search.Quality is in Sundowner Why do you think so many people have them????????Proud owner of 2 Sundowners

OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-08 4:03 PM (#40115 - in reply to #40082)

Really, there all gonna have good ones and bad ones just like ford chevy and dodge. Other than that its gonna depend on what fits your needs. Sooners gonna beat Sundowner on some things and Sundowner is gonna beat Sooner on somethings.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-08 5:28 PM (#40118 - in reply to #40082)

Expert

Originally written by spinnylena on 2006-04-07 2:28 PM

In my search for a Sooner trailer i have come across quite a few Sundowners....my question from all you knowledgeable people is.....are they really comparible in quality?
Sundowner has a lot of things i really like,they are more accessible here in Canada...but i sure don't want to sacrifice quality for convienience.
Thanx in advance for your replies

Oh...and why don't my smilies work:)

I think that Sundowners don't compare favorably with Sooners.
There is a setting in your profile that enables the use (or not) of emoticons - I forget which one it is, but it is probably obvious.

Edited by Reg 2006-04-08 5:38 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-04-09 4:04 AM (#40142 - in reply to #40082)

Expert

I would also say that there is no comparison between the two brands. Someone, I think Paints said why do you think so many people own them? I think that the Sundowner name sells about 50% of their trailers, they used to build a nice trailer, but they are trying ride out the brand while others Elite, 4 Star, & C&C have consitantly built great trailers. But the brands I have mentioned are very expensive. Sundowner has always placed themselves just below these brands price wise so that would equal a big hunk of the other 50%. JMO
bobbi'smom
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-12 12:30 PM (#40329 - in reply to #40082)

We looked at a bunch of trailers and choose Sundowner. We ride stricktly in the backcountry and travel so very wicked roads. That puts it mildly. We upgraded to 16inch wheels so that we could find decent tires. We liked the steel frame that SD offers because of the extreme places we go to.

If we would have purchased all aluminum the dealer suggested a steel skid plate on the bottom because of the places we travel.

they are both darn expensevice and good trailers.  

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)