'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Please you thoughts on an off the wall question about a bumper pull.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-13 12:07 PM
11 replies, 3099 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Idaho
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-03 3:33 PM (#38207)
Subject: Please you thoughts on an off the wall question about a bumper pull.

Ms. Potato Head

Years ago you used to see 3 horse bumper pulls that were straight loads.(Three across) Now with the 8ft wide trailers, does anyone make them anymore, or remember them? 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-03 6:21 PM (#38221 - in reply to #38207)
Subject: RE: Please you thoughts on an off the wall question about a bumper pull.

Expert

Originally written by Idaho on 2006-03-03 4:33 PM

Years ago you used to see 3 horse bumper pulls that were straight loads.(Three across) Now with the 8ft wide trailers, does anyone make them anymore, or remember them?

Before my time (-:
Horses were smaller then and had 3 toes - well, maybe not THAT long ago.
"We lived our lives in Black and White".

Now everyone seems to want warm bloods, Freisians, Shires, Percherons.
3 Morgans across ? No problem, but who (still) has Morgans ?
3 Irish Sports across ? Unlikely.

If I were building and selling trailers I wouldn't have (m)any 3 horse 3 across bumper pulls out there on dealership floors.
J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-03 7:05 PM (#38223 - in reply to #38207)
Subject: RE: Please you thoughts on an off the wall question about a bumper pull.

I have a friend of mine who still own's one like you are talking he bought it new in 1980 and it is a Delta trailer and pulls it a lot, he also uses a slide in truck camper which is the reason this bp is working for him. Back then the axle's wasn't as wide as they are on the new 96" or the 102" trailers, if I wanted three across I would order a 102" wide then you could haul three draft animals if you wanted.
If that is the kind of trailer that you want just go up to your local dealer and say this is what I want and order it.
There is nothing wrong with three across in the back, you will feel your straight loading animals move th where a slant you won't.
Some of the trail heads that I go to I can't get my long trailer in and turn around, I have to back out or just back in, when I know that I am going in these areas I just pull my bumper pull and have a base camp set up else where.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-04 8:01 AM (#38247 - in reply to #38207)

Extreme Veteran

Three across is fine in front of or behind the axles/wheel wells.  We used to see quite a few three across units, primarily the old Lazy N brand, and I never saw one that did not have the wheel wells where the outside horses' front foot needed to be.   If you had a couple of three legged horses, it was fine.  Think about the depth that the wheel wells intrude into an 8' wide trailer.  At least half the stall width on a three wide.  The six horse head-to-heads work three wide because the axles are in front of the rear horses, usually under their heads.  The length of the six horse allows the axles to be far enough forward to accomplish this because of the overall length.  Does this make sense or am I confusing everyone?  A trailer with more weight behind the axles than in front of them will wag like a dog's tail going down the road.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-04 4:17 PM (#38262 - in reply to #38247)

Expert

Kay,
I think it would be POSSIBLE to take a trailer like my bumper pull, rip out the D/R-tack room, blow out the sides to 8ft., put in 2 dividers that run all the way forward and back 3 horses in side by side, leaving the wheel wells under their necks.
The PROBLEM for SOME trucks would be too much tongue weight,
although it might be OK with a 1 ton. ???
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-04 4:27 PM (#38264 - in reply to #38247)

Expert

Couldn't it just be built "backwards"?  Have the horses load/unload from the front/side, the tack in a manger at the rear and then the axls would be under the horses head.   The builder would just have to angle the doors so the horses didn't step on the hitch when backing out.

I'm not positive but I think I saw a picture of a Brenderup that had doors/ramp in the front by the hitch.  Does anyone else remember?  It was posted on here.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-04 4:57 PM (#38265 - in reply to #38264)

Expert

Originally written by Terri on 2006-03-04 5:27 PM

Couldn't it just be built "backwards"? Have the horses load/unload from the front/side, the tack in a manger at the rear and then the axls would be under the horses head. The builder would just have to angle the doors so the horses didn't step on the hitch when backing out.

I'm not positive but I think I saw a picture of a Brenderup that had doors/ramp in the front by the hitch. Does anyone else remember? It was posted on here.

No need, just turn the horses around and move them towards the truck far enough to get the wheel wells under their necks.
Horses learn to back out down ramps, though we don't let them think that far ahead the first time we load them. They can as easily learn to back in up the ramp, then unload forwards (away from the truck.

Yes, there ARE rear load / straight load trailers that have a front ramp to one side of the trailer's A-frame and coupler. I like the idea and I think I've seen at least one implementation that allows a small tack/dr on the other side. It might have been Featherlite - I think it was.
cupid
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-03-06 12:47 AM (#38308 - in reply to #38264)

The Brenderup Apollo is a front-unload, go to www.brenderuprealtrailers.com

I saw a 3-horse across trailer for sale on this site some time ago. I thought it was a neat idea, though I think it was a GN, not a BP. After seeing that one, I thought, how about a trailer where the 3-horse area is like the front stalls of a 6H straightload, then have living quarters in the back of the trailer? (Horses would lead up a ramp, then turn to back into the stalls.)Could use the gooseneck space for the tack storage.

Idaho
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-06 11:52 AM (#38329 - in reply to #38207)

Ms. Potato Head

Thanks for all your thoughts lots to think about.  Yes I have a huge 1 ton dually to pull with. I will have to look into the placement of the wheel wells.  The front load sounds interesting.  I also realize that semis can be 8'6'' can a tag along trailer be this wide also? 
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-06 12:16 PM (#38331 - in reply to #38329)

Expert

Yes, but there are enough restricted roads where I go that I am STILL avoiding going to 8ft 6in.
You will probably also get responses from others about the difficulty of "seeing around" an 8 6 trailer, or even an 8ft.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-06 2:07 PM (#38338 - in reply to #38207)

Extreme Veteran

Idaho -

Any trailer that is 80" or wider inside has 102" axles.  That's 8'6" outside measurement, the maximum allowed by law.

Idaho
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-13 12:07 PM (#38736 - in reply to #38207)

Ms. Potato Head

Hey there is one on here.  In the south, says 2 horse or 3 small horses, set up across the back, I guess they are still out there as it is new.  Thanks everyone.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)