'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Spring riding in Shawnee

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-17 8:39 PM
11 replies, 6251 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kenterin
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2011-01-08 9:50 AM (#128674)
Subject: Spring riding in Shawnee

New User

We would like to think about planning a trip to Shawnee in Spring. I was wondering what would be the best month to go there. Is there a month where the bugs start getting really bad? Would it be better to wait until fall? Since we have never been there before is there a central location that is better to stay to enjoy more of the trail system? Also wondering if hind shoes are absolutely necessary.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dkhunter04
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2011-01-08 11:47 AM (#128680 - in reply to #128674)
Subject: RE: Spring riding in Shawnee

Regular

We've stayed at Hayes Canyon Campground the past two years and are headed back this May.  What we've found is that mosquitos are not a problem at any time.  We did run into ticks last year.  Southern IL is a lot warmer by the end of May than what we have here in WI.  Last year we chose to ride early and late in the day to avoid the heat.  Due to an abundance of rain many of the trails were fairly muddy.  Because of the amount of rock, mud, and steep trails I feel hind shoes are preferred.  We've not been down there in the fall but I've heard ground bees can be a problem until after a hard frost.  If you do a search here on HTW you'll find Hayes Canyon is highly recommended as a place to stay when riding the Shawnee.

Edited by dkhunter04 2011-01-08 11:50 AM
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2011-01-08 12:00 PM (#128681 - in reply to #128680)

Veteran

I agree about Hayes-- we really like the owners --

We live in Southern Indiana - same weather as Southern IL - and I always recommend to people that before May 1st-- the weather is really iffy.

If you don't mind rainy or maybe even cold-- you can try April-- but lots of times April is really rainy.

I'd go in May---we went one time in June and it was unseasonably hot-  we usually go about the second week of October.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-01-08 1:13 PM (#128682 - in reply to #128674)

Extreme Veteran

Unless it is very, very rainy, you'll not have a problem with too much mud. The trails are now being maintain by the forest service, and the once horribly muddy trails are no more.

Ground bees in the hot dry days of August and Sept. can be a bit of a problem, but here too, the forest service is ridding the trails of the bees too. Any time they get a report of bees in the trail, they go out at night and remove them.
kenterin
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2011-01-08 7:43 PM (#128688 - in reply to #128674)

New User

Thanks for the great information
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-01-09 2:52 PM (#128706 - in reply to #128674)

Veteran

Around High Knob you get to beautiful sites faster. We always ride with only shoes on front with no problem. But no matter where you decide to go, you're going to love the riding. Happy Trails.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-01-10 1:02 PM (#128743 - in reply to #128674)

Elite Veteran

We've been there in Mid-April and also end of May. I prefer Mid-April to early May as it is not as humid. And the rain really depends on the year. One year we didn't get a drop of rain April and most days were in the low 70s; and the next year (2009) we got dumped on Mid-May with high humidity level and lots of mud. We've stayed at Hayes and Circle B. We prefer Hayes. I've heard that High Knob has been cleaned up and improvements are being made. It really needed it!

I'd avoid Bear Branch. Poor stalls and dirty camp.

Check out camp ground reviews here: http://www.horsetraildirectory.com/

TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2011-01-11 6:33 PM (#128806 - in reply to #128674)

Regular

We stayed at Hayes for a week last May and loved it. The weather was great. The trails were very muddy in places that hadn't had gravel brought in yet, but it did look like they were in the process of bringing in more gravel, so it may be better by now. My horse usually does fine without back shoes, even on rocky trails around KY/southern IN, but she did start chipping up by the end of the week there, which may be due to staying in stalls with coarse gravel floors (my only complaint about Hayes).
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-01-11 8:22 PM (#128813 - in reply to #128674)

Extreme Veteran

They were working on the trails around Double M last year.  We really enjoyed the trails and the campground.  The owner is very accomodating as well.  We didn't encounter any insects while we were there June.  The weather was warm but not too bad.  They have a website as well to look at the area. 
illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-01-12 11:20 AM (#128834 - in reply to #128674)

Veteran

We stayed at Hayes in June of last year,and again in October. Many of the trails that were under construction in June,were finished in October.We are use to the humid conditions and rode full days both times. Fall colors are beautiful in October. We are planning on going in May and again in October this year. Hope you enjoy the Ride!!
AJH
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2011-01-14 11:32 PM (#128922 - in reply to #128674)

We road out of 34 Ranch campground on Memorial day weekend this past year and out of Little Lusk previously. At 34 Ranch, we had a side area of 6 campers to ourselves, much better than the rest of the campground which was very crowded. The bathroom leaves a lot to be desired (1 bathhouse for way to many camp sites). The band and barn dance was great and the fun horse show was enjoyable. Long ride just to get to the trails. We prefer Little Lusk, not as crowded, 2 bathhouses and a nice part of the forest with great trails. A lot of friends ride out of Double M, but we haven't stayed there yet.We ride with Epic Easy boot w/gators on the front and nothing on the back. My daughter's Appaloosa goes barefoot front and back. So as they say each horse is different and it's best to do what works best for your horse.Weather is hit or miss. Our saying in southern Indiana is if you don't like the weather, stick around, it will change soon.
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-01-17 8:39 PM (#128993 - in reply to #128922)

Veteran

Ditto about the weather-you never know what you are going to get.  The sooner you get there in the spring before all the leaves get on the better; you can see more of the rock formations.  IMO, I would rather deal with a little mud and it be cooler.  I remember one April during Spring Break the first part of the week was absolutely beautiful in the 70's.  We knew it was supposed to get cooler at the end of the week but couldn't imagine it would get THAT cold.  The wind never stopped blowing and it snowed.  We froze and went home early.  It really is great riding.  We typically ride out of High Knob and the great stuff is just a 10 minute ride out of camp.  Happy trails;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)