'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Suggestions/infromation

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-05 1:13 PM
11 replies, 5180 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-01-02 9:39 PM (#114772)
Subject: Suggestions/infromation

Regular

Hi all

We have a long week of camping in March with our horses.  My trailer is a 1998 steel S&H 3 horse with a 2 ft shortwall, tackroom in the dressing room.  It is only my teenage daughter and myself (I am mom not dad).  My question is: is it easier to move the slant wall, or put a door in it and close in the front stall?  We only have two horses, and need more room in the dressing/tack room.  I do not have a rear tack, so that is a problem also.  The slant wall is tacked in several places but not a solid weld anywhere except where the beams cross.  I do not have an escape door at the first stall either.  I don't particulary care about a shower or anything like that, we always camp where there are showers and restrooms, just need room for food, clothing, things like that.  Moving the wall would give me a 5 ft shortwall so my tack would be ok.  I would appreciate any info at all, I have tried looking at some old threads but don't always know what ya'll have been talking about.  THanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-01-02 10:30 PM (#114774 - in reply to #114772)
Subject: RE: Suggestions/infromation

Expert

I would vote for adding a door in the existing wall.  We have a 3H slant but two horses.  Having the door allows us to use the whole horse area when at camp.  We travel with the dressing room floor loaded with stuff then, move it to the horse area.  It becomes a huge walk-in closet.  If the weather is muddy, we enter from the horse end, using it as a mud room.  We are able to dead-bolt the doors from the inside.  The other big advantage, it allows us to haul 3 horses if needed at any time.
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-01-03 4:52 AM (#114780 - in reply to #114772)

Veteran

I agree - I would add the door.  Moving the wall would be a major structural change to the trailer and would cost big $$.  I also use the horse area as the mud room/closet when we camp and fill up the front floor area while traveling.  You might consider a stud divider, which would allow you to put stuff in the third stall to start with.

You also might want to have LOTS of hooks added no matter what change you decide on - we never seem to have enough places to hang things.

A swing out rear tack box would also give you extra storage.

http://uniquehorsetrailers.blogspot.com/

Edited by pinkmouse 2010-01-03 5:39 AM
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-01-03 10:56 AM (#114790 - in reply to #114772)

Extreme Veteran

I don't think a door is neccessary, It takes up too much floor space and hard to stack stuff and fill the stall and get the door open. Just keep as is and walk around. You can keep feed, cooler and what ever you don't need to keep clean.

Keep mattress and clothes up front with tack.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-01-04 11:37 AM (#114851 - in reply to #114772)

Extreme Veteran

Laurie not sure what you mean about the walk thru door taking up too much space. We had a 96 Sundowner just like you describe Lou when we first started camping with horses. We soon traded it for a trailer with the walk thru door and a 4 ft shortwall. I would never have another trailer without the walk thru door. Its so handy to clean out the back and use the whole trailer for camping, specially if it decides to rain. We used to set up a table, open a window and use the Coleman cook stove in the back. Can also put a portable chemical toilet in the back. I see you live in Cleburne. We ride alot on the Six O Ranch off of Hwy 200. Where are you going in March ? You arent far from the Grasslands in Decatur.

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-01-04 11:57 AM (#114853 - in reply to #114772)

Regular

Hi Patti

We have been to Six O a few times.  In March we are going to Caprock Canyons, Palo Duro and if time permitting, the Grasslands.  We have 9 wonderful days to do some riding.  Have heard the camping isn't that good at Palo Duro, but Caprock suppose to be better.  We usually go to McCown and camp in the big camping area but want to do something different this spring.

My daughter and I went up to the trailer dealer in Joshua and he has exactly what we had been looking for except a lot more money since it is aluminum but has a 5 ft shortwall and lots of space.  It has the walkthru door in it which is why we had gone up..too look at others to get ideas. 

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-01-04 12:22 PM (#114855 - in reply to #114851)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by CTRider on 2010-01-04 11:37 AM

Laurie not sure what you mean about the walk thru door taking up too much space. We had a 96 Sundowner just like you describe Lou when we first started camping with horses. We soon traded it for a trailer with the walk thru door and a 4 ft shortwall. I would never have another trailer without the walk thru door. Its so handy to clean out the back and use the whole trailer for camping, specially if it decides to rain. We used to set up a table, open a window and use the Coleman cook stove in the back. Can also put a portable chemical toilet in the back. I see you live in Cleburne. We ride alot on the Six O Ranch off of Hwy 200. Where are you going in March ? You arent far from the Grasslands in Decatur.

If your door swings in to the horse stall I usually have hay and firewood in the way so you can't open it anyway.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-01-04 2:09 PM (#114858 - in reply to #114772)

Extreme Veteran

Yep us too, but once you get there you swing the slants open and clean out the back of the trailer then move the hay and firewood to the side under the slants and you have a whole big area to use. If you have shavings simply clean out the poop and rake the shavings in a pile in the corner and cover them with a tarp and respread when you get ready to leave. We have a full LQ trailer now and even it has a walk thru door which I use all the time. If I am muddy and wet I can come in thru the horse part and leave my muddy boots.  Lou I am going to a private ranch near Caprock Canyon's next fall to a competitive trail competition ride. I have seen pictures and the place is gorgeous. I will be going to the Grasslands in April.

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-01-04 3:14 PM (#114861 - in reply to #114772)

Regular

I have been trying to talk my daughter into competitive trail riding but she won't do it.  Her horse is a very long strided tb that covers a lot of ground fast and very well mannered. We may meet you down the road somewhere someday.  I noticed on one of the ride calendars there is a ride in the Dublin Texas area.  But then couldn't find any info.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-01-04 5:07 PM (#114868 - in reply to #114772)

Extreme Veteran

I was just too darn lazy to move every thing out of the way. My last trailer the door swung in so it was alot more user friendly and nothing was in the way.
tucson
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-05 9:54 AM (#114898 - in reply to #114772)

Is there any way to move your saddle rack into the first stall and just use that for a storage area. You could attach a light wt. plywood to the swing gate of your first stall to keep everything up there from not sliding under the horses. That's what we do with ours it can hold coolers, hay, grain bin, water tank, etc. then you could put a cabinet unit in the front to store stuff in instead of all over the floor that takes up so much room. Been there, done that. I built a cabinet out of plywood and so all the stuff could be stacked and gave us a lot more room We have a 3 1/2' short wall and 6' long wall which our door is on so we didn't have a lot of wall space. There are 3 of us and we get by just fine.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-01-05 1:13 PM (#114912 - in reply to #114772)

Elite Veteran

Take lots of pictures while at Caprock canyon.. I have been wanting to go there for a couple of years, but it is too far for one person to go camp alone...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)