'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Circle J trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-16 7:30 PM
11 replies, 13883 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

billie barrel racer
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-08-14 2:36 PM (#109382)
Subject: Circle J trailers

New User

The good, bad and ugly? Anyone?

Used 4H w/mangers, collapsable rear tack, dressing room and mid tack.

Steel frame, aluminum skin.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-08-14 2:51 PM (#109383 - in reply to #109382)
Subject: RE: Circle J trailers

Veteran

Its steal so that would be first problem.  Are you looking at this trailer for any certain reason?  Have you looked around to see what else is in your price range?  Not sure what your price range is, I have never pulled one of these trailer I just know that I do not like steal frame wrapped with aluminum. 
billie barrel racer
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-08-14 2:55 PM (#109385 - in reply to #109382)

New User

It's got the mid tack and mangers. An equivalent trailer that's all aluminum would be at least $7K more that the asking price on this one, from what I'm seeing.

It's 5 years old. My husband pulls a steel stock trailer that is 20 years old and, although a little rusty on the outside, still structurally sound and it's in great working order.

Is there something about the steel wrapped in aluminum that would make it less structurally strong than a straight steel trailer? Of course, I'd prefer straight aluminum, but, the price difference is more than significant. The extra storage and features would be ideal and so much more convenient.

Edited by billie barrel racer 2009-08-14 2:58 PM
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-08-14 3:05 PM (#109387 - in reply to #109382)

Elite Veteran

A good friends owns what I would guess to be the exact same trailer you are describing, but at least a couple of years older.  Sits outside all the time in Western WA (ie: its wet here).  Well used, still looks brand new.  Well built trailer.  I'd buy one if the price was right.

billie barrel racer
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-08-14 3:10 PM (#109389 - in reply to #109387)

New User

I'guessing these trailers have wood floors???

(I have a message in w/the seller and haven't heard back from them yet.)

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-08-14 6:02 PM (#109396 - in reply to #109389)

Expert

I believe that Circle J is out of business.  That doesn't mean the trailer isn't a good buy or should be considered an orphan.  Most parts that you'd ever need to worry about are pretty easy to purchase and replace.  ie  lights, bearings, brakes

I've had a couple of Steel frame with Aluminum skin trailers and they have held up just fine.  If the price were right I'd consider it.

The floor could be wood, Rumber, steel with mats or aluminum planks.

Sundancer's Sidekick
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-08-14 8:33 PM (#109404 - in reply to #109382)

I have an all steel 2000 Circle J Riata 4 horse with side tack and 5 ft dressing room.

We have hauled this trailer through the Rockies over roads that a Hummer would have a time with. Pulls great, tough as nails, still looks good, roof don't leak, wood floors SOUND! (Muck out, and keep wood treated! It will last longer than an aluminum floor that is allowed to corrode.)

The supposed advantage of aluminum is weight. Anyone who understands the stresses involved in hauling over rough roads knows that steel will flex repeatedly better than aluminum. The intent of a steel framed, aluminum skinned trailer is to retain the flex strength of steel, while utilizing aluminum to lessen the weight of the skin.

One problem with the steel/aluminum trailers is that the two differing metals must never come into contact with each other, else corrosion is accelerated.

I prefer all steel. Others may disagreee.

BTW- Circle J has been bought out by Big Tex, I believe. Don't know about warranty issues.

Edited by Sundancer's Sidekick 2009-08-14 8:51 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-14 10:26 PM (#109411 - in reply to #109404)

Expert

Originally written by Sundancer's Sidekick on 2009-08-14 9:33 PM

The supposed advantage of aluminum is weight.

Many transportation devices are made out of aluminum, specifically because of this fact. Boats, trains, buses, aircraft, commercial truck trailers and bodies, horse trailers, even the space shuttle.

Anyone who understands the stresses involved in hauling over rough roads knows that steel will flex repeatedly better than aluminum.

If this were true, why then aren't aircraft wings made out of steel? This author obviously has never flown on a commercial flight. In turbulence, the wing tips oscillate vertically above and below the relaxed profile, in both positive and negative G forces. A wing mounted engine, capable of 50,000 lbs of thrust, will visually sway laterally and vertically under varying thrust conditions. You can walk to the tip of a wing, and it will feel like a diving board. If these components were made rigid, they would stress harden and break. The aluminum doesn't. Our most feared bomber was built and designed in the 1950's. Its wing tips flex and rise over 11 feet from a resting position to take off. They still are flying today, and are not made of steel.

There are hundreds of thousands of aluminum framed trailers on the road today, both private and commercial. The fact that aluminum is so commonly used, regardless of its additional cost, is a testimate to its durability.

The intent of a steel framed, aluminum skinned trailer is to retain the flex strength of steel, while utilizing aluminum to lessen the weight of the skin. 

The intent of a bimetallic trailer manufacturer is to save construction costs over an all aluminum trailer. By building a less expensive framed trailer, he can reach a larger potential market. By having an aluminum skin, his trailer can maintain its outward, upscale appearance, while utilizing the long lasting benefits of aluminum.

I prefer all steel. Others may disagree. .

Both materials have their proponents. Their favourite choice is usually determined by price or environmental applications. Because one type is favoured, is no reason to spread misinformation about the other.

Gard

Sundancer's Sidekick
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-08-14 10:46 PM (#109413 - in reply to #109382)

No intent to be ornry...

Repeatedly flex a rod, girder or tube of aluminum.

Do the same with mild steel.

See which fractures first.

* Fatigue

Aluminum fatigue performance is less than ½ that of steel. This is a very important advantage for steel in terms of vehicle life durability. Automotive steel grades also possess an endurance limit. From testing, it was found that structural aluminum grades (5XXX series) will not reach an endurance limit, but continually degrade at higher cycles...

http://xnet3.uss.com/auto/steelvsal/basicfacts.htm

Edited by Sundancer's Sidekick 2009-08-14 11:57 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-15 8:00 AM (#109420 - in reply to #109382)

Expert

Aluminum is an alloy like steel. Various elements are mixed together to form a material that will work well for its intended purpose. Like steel, aluminum is designed for specific applications, and may not work well in an unintended function.

Aluminum is available in eight general categories called series. Within these classifications are sub classifications, that contain further variances of materials. These in turn are available in varying hardnesses and tempers. The result is an aluminum based material, that is produced in literally hundreds of alloys, each designed for a specific application. Additional strength issues will vary by the manufacturing process, which involves wrought or casting manufacturing.

The 5000 aluminum series is high in manganese and is developed for its anti corrosion properties, not for its ultimate strength or cyclic abilities. Trailer frames and high strength structures are commonly built of the 6000 series, as are aircraft which also use the 7000 series. These specific applications have a proven track record, as I have detailed in my previous posting.

Just as there are steel alloys that will snap in your hand, or forged tool steel products that have a high Rockwell hardness, aluminum is also manufactured to meet a wide variety of consumer needs. These can vary from a soft anodozed household trim piece, to a forged automotive suspension component, an engine block, a space capsule, or even a horse trailer.

It is folly to say that all aluminum does XXXXX, and steel doesn't. What aluminum, and what steel? There is no such thing as one aluminum or steel product. Any structure, whether it is steel or aluminum, has to be properly designed for its application. This will involve not only the materials, but the shape and size to meet its intended function. 

You may not want to use a 5000 series aluminum to build a frame that involves cycllic affects.You may, however, determine that it would work well to clad the walls of a trailer. These are engineering decisions. Unfortunately not all are based on producing the best product. Cost factors can often compromise the final product, and result in less than ideal results.

Gard

Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-08-16 9:17 AM (#109435 - in reply to #109382)

Veteran

So, how do we know which grade of aluminum a manufacturer uses? Is there some minimum standard all aluminum frames must meet - same question on the trailer skin. Thanks!My sister has an older Circle J steel trailer and it's got a bit of rust, but is still very solid. I have no personal experience with aluminum skin on a steel frame, though. Until we can easily afford the aluminum trailer we want, we'll be using the steel Circle J.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-16 7:30 PM (#109463 - in reply to #109435)

Expert

Originally written by Safet on 2009-08-16 10:17 AM

So, how do we know which grade of aluminum a manufacturer uses? Is there some minimum standard all aluminum frames must meet - same question on the trailer skin. QUOTE]

That's a reasonable question of which I have no answer. By looks, its almost impossible to see any difference in the various series. When the sheets are delivered, they are identified by printed markings. When they are wiped off, it would take an expert to determine the differences, by only a visual inspection.

I would be willing to bet, that unless the trailer manufacturer specifically publishes the exact materials used in its construction, most sales persons and even the dealers, cannot tell a customer what specific materials are used. A few manufactures do include this information in their advertisements, but for the most part, most do not.

My only answer is to purchase a name of which you are familiar, and which has an excellent reputation. It only got there by its excellent engineering and proper material choices. Some dealers will deliberately try to confuse an unwary customer. This was done with a major name brand a few years ago, before it switched to an all aluminum construction. We have a local dealer who has told people that their brands of bimetal trailers are all aluminum. Unfortunately these comments were verbal and not written, and no charges were brought against the company.

You have to do your homework and hope like hell you buy wisely. If you have a trailer you like, hang onto it as long as you can. That is the least expensive ownership possible.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)