'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Corn Pro Stock Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-28 4:56 PM
11 replies, 21763 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Skylynx
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-23 8:19 PM (#90259)
Subject: Corn Pro Stock Trailer

New User

Hi...looking for some advice.

We are looking to buy a 16 foot stock trailer for our two horses. As my Thoroughbred is 16.1, we will likely order the 7' tall and 7' wide trailer.  We want the bigger trailer (16 foot) as we do not need to have a storage area within the trailer and would like to be able to accommodate 4 horses in a pinch, since when we move to our small ranch in the Colorado Rockies we will probably end up with another two horses in addition to the two we have now.  We also would like to be able to use the trailer to haul hay up to our ranch.  Besides the Corn Pro, we've also looked at Calico, Titan and Ponderosa trailers (those in a similar budget range) and most horsey acquaintances in our area seemed to point us towards the Corn Pro as a good basic kind of first trailer.  We do not expect to do a lot of trailering as we can ride into the national forest from our land, but will need it for occasional trips out and emergencies.  We do not currently have indoor storage for a trailer, but would probably buy a cover for it.

If anyone has experience with any of these basic stock trailer and would like to share the positives and negatives, I'd be grateful. 

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tuffyspop
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-23 10:03 PM (#90264 - in reply to #90259)
Subject: RE: Corn Pro Stock Trailer

Regular

Sorry, our last stock trailer was a steel '98 bumper pull.  We have a friend who uses a 4 horse capacity stock trailer, and he goes on rides every year out to Nebraska from Missouri.  His is all aluminum.  Seems happy with it.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-23 10:04 PM (#90265 - in reply to #90259)

Expert

We had an 18' 3 horse BP stock combo for 15 years. We bought it new, with several options: 7' height, 5k axles, optional tires, escape door, camper door, lights, bumper , mats etc. It wasn't pretty, but it was built like a tank. It tracked perfectly with no aids, had very good brakes and long wearing tires.

We had a major problem in the beginning. After owning it for a few weeks, and only using it for short trips, we made plans to make a longer, high speed trip. When I inspected the wheel bearings, none of them on one side had any grease. The spindles were purple and burnt, the entire hubs, bearings and brake drums had to be replaced. Why they never seized, I don't know. It originally came from IN to OH at 70 mph to the dealer, a several hour ride.

After about twelve years of ownership, the body paint was departing as fast as the rust was arriving. (We live in the rust belt). I had to do a complete body restoration to save it. We sold it last year. It was still mechanically perfect, the frame was solid, the original flooring was like new, and the Lexan windows I installed kept the interior dry during our winters. It looked good and performed very well. It sold for $500 less than our original cost, to the first add enquirer.

It was an excellent trailer, and we kept it after the purchase of a large LQ trailer. We hauled everything that fit inside, including furniture and tractors. With the large swing open tail gate, any horse would load. The front bulkhead swings open or it can be removed, making the hauling of four horses a realistic proposition.

We only sold it because we needed some bathroom facilities in a shorter length trailer. We replaced it with a GN trailer of the same length with a weekender LQ.

I would recommend a Corn Pro trailer. They have earned a good reputation for durability and function. Shortly after I bought mine, two of my friends also bought similar trailers. One still has his and hauls cattle quite often.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-08-23 10:09 PM
krisell26
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-08-23 10:12 PM (#90266 - in reply to #90259)

I bought a 3 horse slant, not the stock, for my first horse trailer this April.  I love it!  I put in mats and my dad put in plywood on the sides so that the horses won't destroy the sides.  Mine is 18 ft and will haul lots of things.  I routinely haul my two year old filly in the first stall, then my mare and foal in the rest of the trailer.  There is tons of room.  The mare I have is 16 hands and is high headed and fits with ease.  (It is a 7ft tall)  The trailer is very affordable, solid and dependable.  I pull it with a 5.3L Yukon XL with no problems, although I am slow on big hills!  I will say this, get educated on them new and know exactly what you want to order, then compare several dealers.  I saved about $600 by doing this!  I also ordered the solid wall between the tack room and the first stall to be fixed, or immovable.  It was $100 to do, and it is WELL worth the money to me.  No horse poop in my tack room, plus I no one can steal your tack!  I drilled a hole on the outer tack door and have padlocked it.
karynzoo
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-08-24 12:15 AM (#90272 - in reply to #90259)

Regular

I ditto most of what Gard said.  I had a 18' 3 horse slant stock type Corn pro.  It was 7 tall and a true 7' wide (not the 6'6" you commonly get).  It was built like a TANK.  I never knew it was back there when I pulled it except for the rattle of the metal when I hit bumps.

The slant stalls were BIG and even my friends 17hand LONG paint fit in it fine.  I had a nice little camping set up in it but when I got cold last fall I decided to trade it for a modest LQ trailer. 

If I had my own farm (I board) I would have kept it for around town trips but since I couldn't keep both on the farm it had to go.  It was a handy trailer and pulled nice.

Skylynx
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-24 12:06 PM (#90288 - in reply to #90259)

New User

Thanks for all your responses so far...I appreciate the time you took to share your experiences.  Still happy to hear any more stories, too, from other folks.
shoveltrash
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-05 9:09 AM (#94304 - in reply to #90259)

hi, i'm new here....probably too late to this topic, but i own a 16' Corn Pro stock trailer, and i LOVE it. never ever had a problem - i bought it new in 04. no frills, but good construction. because it's steel, there is a bit of superficial rusting. i have hauled it MILES and MILES. good luck to you.
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-05 9:20 AM (#94305 - in reply to #90259)

Extreme Veteran

Having sold many brands of trailers for over 10 years, I would definitely favor the Corn Pro or Titan trailers.  The Calico and Ponderosa trailers aren't built quite as rugged, nor do I feel like there paint "prep" and quality is as good.  Weld splatters and burrs are much more evident on the latter two trailers mentioned.  Corn Pros are built in Indiana and Titans in Kansas.  As far as paint is concerned; I would say that Titan has the best paint offered of the four.  They also use galvaneel steel in there steel sheet material.  Just my opinion.

Skylynx
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-05 9:50 AM (#94308 - in reply to #90259)

New User

I'm feeling happier and happier about our purchase, then.  We haven't picked up our new trailer from the dealer yet, but we are looking forward to lots of years of good use from it.  Thanks for adding new comments!
bowhunter70
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-11-05 2:06 PM (#94319 - in reply to #90259)

I would go with  the Galvanneal Trailer instead of the  Steel.This way Rusting wont be as big a  issue in a few years.I know Titan has this,not sure if Corn Pro does
3horse
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-01-02 9:20 AM (#96811 - in reply to #90259)

I currently own a 1994 14' Corn Pro, stock with divider.  I've had it for about 10 years.  Yes, you have to keep up with some surface rust ( I use rust oxidizer that you can get from an auto store then touch up with TSC equipment paint), but it has been very dependable.  There's a lot to be said for no frills.  I did have a problem with it moving around when pulling on the highway so had load stabilizer bars installed.  Now it's mooth pulling.
Bun
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-28 4:56 PM (#98418 - in reply to #90259)

New User

I had a 16' Corn Pro stock trailer...about a 2002 or so. It was great, towed like a champ (had it up to 90) and when passed by the big trucks was solid as a rock behind me...it was a bumper pull and I used an Equalizer hitch. I sold it due to it being too short to bring my longer carriage with the horse. I replaced it with a 24' Eby with a dressing room. At 4 times the cost of the Corn Pro.A great trailer, never any complaints...not even little ones.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)