'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brenderup trailers
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-20 12:51 PM
118 replies, 21731 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

crs996
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-17 2:56 PM (#44844 - in reply to #44839)
Subject: RE: Brenderup trailers

Originally written by TwoAppys on 2006-07-17 11:44 AM

Them nice folks over at Brennerup, they didn't just rip out the braking box and tell people to hitch up to the automobile, no siree! Why, they put a lot o' thinkin' into this here trailer.

As opposed to the vehicle manufacturers, who put absolutely NO thought into their tow/weight ratings.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-17 7:39 PM (#44863 - in reply to #44426)

Well, them ratin' folks is shore nicer towin' wise to the folks in Europe!  Lookee here. 

http://www.toyota.com/rav4/specs.html - American Toyotee.  Lookee them tow ratin's! Lower than a yeller dog's belly!

http://www.toyota.co.uk/vs2/pdf/RV4_93_spec.pdf - Same car in UK -  higher ratin's!   Now that gits me riled!

Even when it gots the fancy tow package, the US car kin only pull 3500 lbs!  But the Eurpeen one, same car, why that one kin pull 4410 lbs!  Now how's come that is!

Wait a minute, I jes' thought up a new riddle!

Q:How come them Europeens' cars kin pull more than Americans' cars?

A: On account o' their trailers is DIFFERENT!

That hain't really a riddle, more like a little common sense!

Heer's a little somethin' else I found, what I thought was kinda interestin'.  These nice folks are talkin' 'bout airsteam trailers. American trailers for use in the UK.  Fer folks, not horses. But they got to tow them jus' the same.  With CARS.

12. Size – why are caravans smaller in Europe than the US?

Average tow vehicle sizes and weights in Europe are lower than in the US, the main driver being higher fuel prices in Europe. There are also restrictions on the weight of vehicle and trailer that an ordinary car licence holder can use (this mainly affects younger drivers).

Hence the size and weight of caravan or trailer that can be safely and legally towed - and which will find a ready market - is less in Europe than in the US.

Them American trailer's ain't made fer being towed with cars, so they gotta pull the smaller version!  So I guess they got the backward problem of the good ol' US of A!

Well, anyhoo.  That's why come the tow ratin's over here don't mean  when it comes to Brennyups. 

Lily

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-17 7:46 PM (#44864 - in reply to #44426)

Expert

I hope you have European lawyers in the event of an accident!

Your American insurance company won't pay your claim.

TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-17 8:02 PM (#44866 - in reply to #44426)

In 25 years, it's never been an issue, now has it!   Wunner why that is!  These thing is so unsafe, but nobody didn't never sue them!  There's a conundrum if I ever heerd one!

Riddle me this, and this time I don't know the answer!

A: Why the heck are you all so riled up about this trailer!? 

If it's so durn unsafe, well where's the proof!?  A bunch of happy, non-complaing brenderup owners don't do much fer yer case, I got to point that out.

Oooooh, I'm undertrucked!   Just like all of Europe!  WHEEEEE!

Lily

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-18 6:12 AM (#44893 - in reply to #44426)

Expert

I see you are a real big fan of the Europeans, I also detect that you think they may be smarter than us. I seem to recall a few instances where they have gotten themselves into messes that required US to get them out of. Maybe you would like a one-way ticket over there where the smart folks are. Until you get it just keep your B-UP and Volvo out of the hammer lane please.

Here comes the response with an overload of smileys. Simple things for simple minds.

Edited by HWBar 2006-07-18 6:18 AM
Ms. Trailer
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 8:36 AM (#44904 - in reply to #44426)

Regular

Riddle me this(TwoAppys) : Why don't you just move to Europe if everything there is so great? Since evidently they are so much smarter than we are in the 'backwards US of A'

Edited by Ms. Trailer 2006-07-18 8:48 AM
TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 1:05 PM (#44935 - in reply to #44426)

Oh, here it goes!  Nothing to back up your claims, so start throwin' stones!  HA HA HA!!! MISSED MEEEEEE!

doo do doo do do doo doo doooo do doo doo <---Circus music!

And I do apologize for not responding sooner. See, I had to take both my horses on a trail ride, in their trailer, over hill and dale, with my car.  No problem, as usual.

Sure, we saved Europe several times.  Let's never buy anything from them! That's logical enough.  And it is a nice place to visit, but I ain't giving up my passport for nobody or nothin!

dooo do doood do do do doo do do do dooo do do <--- More circus music!  I always get that in my head when I come to this thread.

Lily

Ms. Trailer
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 1:39 PM (#44949 - in reply to #44426)

Regular

Wow. All I have to say to that one is that I am glad there are mature, knowledgeable, less moronic people on this forum to make it enjoyable and a huge learning experience.

Have fun with your circus music.

(also, notice that I never bashed B-up; I don't have a problem with them. I just think that you took an extremely immature approach to the entire subject)

crs996
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 1:58 PM (#44954 - in reply to #44949)

Originally written by Ms. Trailer on 2006-07-18 11:39 AM

Wow. All I have to say to that one is that I am glad there are mature, knowledgeable, less moronic people on this forum to make it enjoyable and a huge learning experience.

(also, notice that I never bashed B-up; I don't have a problem with them. I just think that you took an extremely immature approach to the entire subject)

Consider the source.  Also note lack of response regarding vehicle tow ratings set by manufacturers for the U.S. market (considering that's where we live) and U.S. (again, where we live) laws regarding load/tow limits for vehicles.  Why confuse the issue with facts, right?

Edited by crs996 2006-07-18 2:01 PM
Ms. Trailer
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 2:01 PM (#44955 - in reply to #44426)

Regular

Exactly. Let's ignore the real subject that we are on and just use as many smilies as we can...
majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 2:28 PM (#44967 - in reply to #44955)

As the creator of this thread.....I feel that it is offically time to put an end to it. It appears that there is not end in sight.  The "country or redneck" or whatever text is offensive to some very knowledgable individuals who obviously are engineers so don't assume that everyone is dumb.  If you read back, the individuals that are obviously educated in some form, (life experience or formal education)  did not bash any trailer....simply pointed out some concerns that they might have for the uninformed (i.e. ME....the person who asked)

Time to put this puppy to bed 

Here's hoping we meet again....on a DIFFERENT thread.

FIN
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-19 8:46 PM (#45090 - in reply to #44426)

Expert

Hmmmmm,
Well, things seem to have quietened down a bit.
I'd like to make ONE more point, that has little/nothing to do with specific trailer brands;
If your trailer has ANY sort of friction device for brakes they WILL need to be checked for wear every so often. I know regenerative braking is coming, but I don't think its here yet. So, if you do more than say a dozen trips to local shows a year and they're say 100 miles from home, you'll typically be pulling hubs every couple of years (or someone should be pulling them for you). If the manufacturer says every year or 10,000 miles, go with that - but DO get them checked regularly.

TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 10:37 PM (#45098 - in reply to #44954)

Originally written by crs996 on 2006-07-18 1:58 PM

Originally written by Ms. Trailer on 2006-07-18 11:39 AM

Consider the source.  Also note lack of response regarding vehicle tow ratings set by manufacturers for the U.S. market (considering that's where we live) and U.S. (again, where we live) laws regarding load/tow limits for vehicles.  Why confuse the issue with facts, right?

How do you like my new smiley!?!   

Do you think I should import a car from the UK to tow this trailer with, so the tow spec numbers will be right?    I even provided you a link to a Toyota somethingorother.  Same car, different tow ratings.  What else do you want?

Like I said before, the US tow ratings don't mean   The cars are the SAME. But the ones in Europe can tow more. How is that possible? The TRAILERS are different.  'Only the US tow specs should be followed'  Sure, if you're pulling an American trailer! European trailer = European tow specs.  Beep beep and zoom zoom! 

Lily

P.S.  Now I feel kind of bad for the poor Europeans!  If the US tow specs are the be all-end all of towing safety, shouldn't we make Europe use our specs?  Oh, the US specs are only if you're towing in the U.S.!  That sounds a little xenophobic to me, don't we care about all those poor Europeans that are undertrucked?? I'm going to write to Tony Blair RIGHT NOW! Who's with me!    Why doesn't Europe use our tow specs, if it's so safe... Why indeed!

Edited by TwoAppys 2006-07-19 11:09 PM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 11:48 PM (#45103 - in reply to #44426)

Expert

STOP-- IF THEY ARE HAPPY WITH THERE TRAILER THEN LET THEM BE!!! THIS IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL11
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-20 5:39 AM (#45106 - in reply to #44426)

Expert

I'll give it a try, although I havn't lived in Europe since about 1/2 my lifetime ago (-:
{I present this as possible explanation, not as arguement.}

Back THEN same make/model vehicles had significantly different specs for US vs European markets. As examples that have NOTHING to do with trailering; sodium yellow headlights for the cars spec'd for France, even the Saabs and Volvos. Similarly Citroens destined for the US had to have fixed sealed beam headlights, no connection to the steering gear to allow swivelling so the light would point around the corner. Bumper and brake specs were also different, 5 MPH specs for US cars, dual hydraulic circuits first required for (I think) Switzerland.
Some of these features might have made vehicles of that era safer or less safe in their European vs US specs, I'm not argueing that either way, just saying that the specs were different for the same make and model.

OK, so I'm extrapolating now...
It is a different time and HERE we are talking about tow ratings - maybe those differences are significant, maybe not. I'm still going to hazard the guess that same make/model vehicles have significantly different specs for Europe vs US, not just the "on paper" specs, but "as assembled" with different components. SOME of this MAY affect tow ratings - note my indiscrete use of upper case (-:

Summary: They are not really the "same" vehicles. They are produced for different markets with different regulations, they have to meet different specs.
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-20 6:47 AM (#45108 - in reply to #44426)

Veteran

I have never owned a Brenderup, or been with someone pulling one. When I am at a horse expo, or similar event, I enjoy trailer window shopping. When doing trailer comparisons, the question becomes, can this trailer handle a worse case scenerio? In looking at the sidewalls of a brenderup, and tire size, I wonder if my 16-2 hand big guy would have kicked thru the wall or severely damaged it the day I parked at an ice cream stand near the garbage can (DUHHHH!!) and bees got in the trailer with him. My sturdy steel trailer had a slight bend in the butt bar, nothing more. Also, I wonder if my big guy could actually PULL the trailer sideways if tied to the side and he became very frightened. Also, in pulling with a small vehicle, what happens if your trailer brakes stop functioning, and you have 2 horses in your trailer going down a mountain (which I have had happen). I hate pulling "on the margin." I want safety first, and I know my truck brakes will do the trick in a pinch.

Yes, I have been to Europe riding (France), and have pictures of Brenderups and the small tow vehicles. Still not my cup of tea.

Just my 2 cents!

Brenda

majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-20 9:35 AM (#45125 - in reply to #44426)

So it continues.  I emailed the nice folks at Brenderup and told them my tow vehicle limit (3500 lbs)  they gave a reasonable suggestion in that they recommended on of their lightest trailers (the Prestige) with one horse and 200 lbs of tack and stuff (I have a small arab) =2700 lbs so that I would not exceed my US standards tow rating.  So in their defense,  I think the company is acting responsibly.  I was over my tow weight with the Prestige and two horses. Although the tongue weight would only be 150 lbs because of the balance, I would not feel comfortable going over the tow rating.

But see below.  As far as holding up to a big horse kicking, I don't know but if you are curious, call the number below and ask for a video, they have a nice informational DVD or invite Simon to join the forum and defend their product.

Dear Ms. Major,
Brenderup Trailers are designed from the ground up to be towed by vehicles such as yours.   In Europe where gas is between $6.00 and $8.00 a gallon and has been for a few years. People use vehicles such as Volvo wagons, Land Rovers as large tow vehicles.   The european trailers are designed to limit the tongue weight- the amount of weight pushing down the back of the tow vehicle.  Brenderup has a tongue weight of 3.75%   vs. a domestic trailer that has a tongue weight of anywhere from 10-19%.  So a 3500 lbs trailerand load would  give you a tongue weight of  132 lbs for the brenderup vs. 350-665lbs for a domestic trailer.

A 14.3 hand horse will easily fit in the Prestige Trailer.  weight 1550 lbs. plus your horse 950 plus 200lbs stuff. =  2700lbs.  

Hope this helps. If you have more questions. Do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,
Simon Barr
Brenderup Real Trailers
1-800-745-1306
simon@brenderuprealtrailers.com
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-20 12:36 PM (#45134 - in reply to #45108)

Expert

Originally written by heritagelanefarm on 2006-07-20 6:47 AM

I have never owned a Brenderup, or been with someone pulling one. When I am at a horse expo, or similar event, I enjoy trailer window shopping. When doing trailer comparisons, the question becomes, can this trailer handle a worse case scenerio? In looking at the sidewalls of a brenderup, and tire size, I wonder if my 16-2 hand big guy would have kicked thru the wall or severely damaged it the day I parked at an ice cream stand near the garbage can (DUHHHH!!) and bees got in the trailer with him. My sturdy steel trailer had a slight bend in the butt bar, nothing more. Also, I wonder if my big guy could actually PULL the trailer sideways if tied to the side and he became very frightened. Also, in pulling with a small vehicle, what happens if your trailer brakes stop functioning, and you have 2 horses in your trailer going down a mountain (which I have had happen). I hate pulling "on the margin." I want safety first, and I know my truck brakes will do the trick in a pinch.

Yes, I have been to Europe riding (France), and have pictures of Brenderups and the small tow vehicles. Still not my cup of tea.

Just my 2 cents!

Brenda

I think I didn't get one of your meanings the first time I read your post.
IF I tied a large horse to the side of a trailer and the horse spooked, for whater reason, and pulled the trailer onto itself...
ABSOLUTELY MY FAULT !, not the trailer designer's, lack of trailer weight, etc.
I should have used a baling twine safety loop or velcro tearaway tie that would give long before a horse can pull a ton of trailer over onto itself.

Y'all DO tie with a breakaway loop of twine, or something equivalent, right ?

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-20 12:51 PM (#45136 - in reply to #44426)

Elite Veteran

Every one is entitled to their opinion. This subject causes unusual contriversy. Two years ago, it was the negaitive posts on this forum that got me curious about Brenderup. So learned all I could, tried a Baron Brenderup for the summer, had other folks who's opinion I trusted, haul horses in it and then wrote the review. I was overall impressed with the Brenderup, a myth buster.

There are features on the Brenderup that are unique. You could call it new technology, except they've been in this country more than 20 years. It's my hope that when questions are asked on this forum about brands of trailers, that folks whom own the trailers can tell their experiences.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)