'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
First time being trailered, alone or with another horse?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-07 3:14 PM
10 replies, 4286 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Paintgirl
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-06 5:00 PM (#76242)
Subject: First time being trailered, alone or with another horse?

I have a 3 yo filly that hasn't been off the farm yet, she's been in the trailer but hasn't actually moved in it yet...I trailered her older brother in it last year for the first time and he about tore the trailer up, he didn't hurt himself but did a number on my trailer.  I've hauled babies plenty of times before but I've always started earlier in their lives so it wasn't a big deal...just haven't had time with this filly to start when she was younger.  She's a little spooky at new things but pretty level headed.  This is a 2 horse straight load trailer.  I want to take her to the trainers which is about 45 minutes away but not sure if I'd do better hauling her alone or with my seasoned horse, just don't want him to get hurt or upset by her...opinions?

Paintgirl

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 5:20 PM (#76243 - in reply to #76242)
Subject: RE: First time being trailered, alone or with another horse?

Expert

I would take the single horse and minimize the chances of having the second one hurt.

Sometimes it's easier to load a younger horse with a more mature horse beside it. This would also hold true if the younger horse had a "buddy" and was more comfortable in its presence.

Every situation varies. You will have to determine in which environment your horse is the most comfortable.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-02-06 5:43 PM
adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 5:54 PM (#76244 - in reply to #76242)

Veteran

I would go single: in order to minimize the risk of injury for both horses.

ex. Last September I bought a 2.5yrs old shire (never been in a trailer before)...and he went in fine, but after about 2 minutes he snapped the quick release tie and was facing backwards, and later on he managed to roll under the divider and end up in the back stall (4H slant, that was configured as 2 big slant stalls) without hurting himself or the trailer. Things would have been a lot different with a  second horse for sure...

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-06 5:58 PM (#76246 - in reply to #76242)

Expert

What Gard said.Sometimes I tie the horse up front and leave dividers open,latched back.I might after a ways down the road shut the divider and then again might not.If I'm REAL unsure I have hauled them loose in the trailer with dividers latched back.

Edited by hounddog 2008-02-06 6:13 PM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-02-06 6:05 PM (#76248 - in reply to #76242)

Expert

Alot of variables, unknown to us out here.  I'd haul alone, maybe with the partition swung over at the rear and fastened back.  If she ties well I'd tie her.  If she's never been tied, or fights it,  I'd turn her loose in a stock trailer for that haul.  I'm not above acing one if they need it for that first trip to be "unremarkable"  Incidentally, does she live with another horse 24/8?  If so, weaning is best not started in the trailer...
Paintgirl
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-06 6:30 PM (#76251 - in reply to #76248)

Yes, I think you're right, better to minimize the chance of having two hurt.  She is with another horse 24/7 but they are separated quite often when I take the other one riding.  I'm sure she'll be upset by herself at first but I don't forsee that being a big problem.  I'm thinking I'll give her some quietex beforehand also...

Paintgirl

happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 6:56 PM (#76254 - in reply to #76242)

Regular

I trailered my 3 year old for the first time this past summer. For her first ride, I did a very short, planned trip to a friend's nearby farm and trailered her best buddy with her, who is a very seasoned traveler. Her next trip was to the trainer's, which is about a 30-40 minute ride, and again, I took her buddy along. I drove EXTRA slow in both instances, and both horses arrived relaxes and unscathed. Probably just depends in the horse!
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-07 8:24 AM (#76303 - in reply to #76242)

Veteran

So much depends on the horse.  I'm in favor of leaving them loose in the trailer with all the space they can get. Then they can find their balance, and move around if they are nervous. I'm not sure that that's an option in a 2H straight load, though.  Can you borrow a bigger trailer?  I also like to use a buddy - someone who trailers like a pro and is totally unflappable.  Leave them both loose, but maybe give them leg wraps for a little protection.  You'll be able to feel it in the truck if they are rattling around back in the trailer or not.  I find after 10 minutes, all is quiet.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-07 10:14 AM (#76312 - in reply to #76242)

Expert

Originally written by Paintgirl on 2008-02-06 5:00 PM

I have a 3 yo filly that hasn't been off the farm yet, she's been in the trailer but hasn't actually moved in it yet...I trailered her older brother in it last year for the first time and he about tore the trailer up, he didn't hurt himself but did a number on my trailer.  I've hauled babies plenty of times before but I've always started earlier in their lives so it wasn't a big deal...just haven't had time with this filly to start when she was younger.  She's a little spooky at new things but pretty level headed.  This is a 2 horse straight load trailer.  I want to take her to the trainers which is about 45 minutes away but not sure if I'd do better hauling her alone or with my seasoned horse, just don't want him to get hurt or upset by her...opinions?

Paintgirl

Makes sure your trailer won't let your horse do what this one did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa4qsVSWa80&feature=related

sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-07 12:42 PM (#76324 - in reply to #76242)

Regular

Regardless of how you decide to haul your filly, make sure you have another adult along - that extra set of hands will come in real handy if you end up having any sort of incident along the way. Even if it is just to hop out and peek in the trailer when you're stopped at a stop sign... also bring an extra halter & rope, and a sharp knife.
Paintgirl
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-07 3:14 PM (#76337 - in reply to #76312)

Good lord, how did that filly survive that fall going that fast! That is absolutly amazing! Definately by the grace of God! Luckily my trailer is fully enclosed and it isn't hot here this time of year so all the doors will be closed!

Wow what a story!

Paintgirl
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World