'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ Potties....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-18 5:10 AM
10 replies, 4920 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-15 9:17 PM (#74489)
Subject: LQ Potties....

Charter Member

Which would you go with...

1. One of the self contained "portapotties" which can be left out when you know you won't need it and runs ~$200

2. Built in toilet in combo with shower. Will add ~$850 to my conversion cost.

Advantage/disadvantage to one or both?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-15 9:34 PM (#74491 - in reply to #74489)
Subject: RE: LQ Potties....

Elite Veteran

For resale value...a potty/shower built in.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-16 9:04 AM (#74520 - in reply to #74489)

Expert

The first question I would ask is "is this trailer a keeper or do I want to sell it in a while?"  If your answer is, it's going to be around for a while, then you have to ask yourself, what are your needs and comfort levels? What do you want when you use the trailer? If a porta potty is acceptable and convenient, save your money and not install the permanent hardware. If you are planning longer trips or several people will be using it, the holding volume of the porta potty may come into question. The convenience of disposing of the soiled bags is debatable, with pros and cons.

If you plan on selling your trailer and upgrading, then a fully functional bathroom is a large selling point. It would add a significant value to your trailer. I purchased a trailer last year because I wanted specific features, and most importantly, a full bath was paramount.

Only you can decide which is best for your circumstances. You will probably receive answers that represent both sides of the debate; each person has his own agenda and needs.

BOL  Gard

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-01-16 11:05 AM (#74547 - in reply to #74489)

Elite Veteran

I stepped into one of those shower/ toilet combos when we were looking at trailers last year. Figured out it would be extremely awkward to take a shower having to step around the toilet all the time. Also thought that if you need to use the potty after someone used the shower, you will get wet feetor maybe leave tracks through your trailer. Most port-a-potties cost less than $100. Picked up mine at a garage sale for $25. It's just as handy. If I need to dump it most campgrounds have a dump station you can carry it to, and it can then be refilled with fresh water to use again. Just be sure to get the water treatment so it doesn't start to smell!
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-16 11:16 AM (#74548 - in reply to #74489)

Charter Member

This is a keeper trailer. We are going to purchase a large LQ trailer next year, but will keep this one for local hauling (smaller shows, vet appointments, etc). It is only a 4' SW.

My big fear is that because it's aftermarket weekend package something may be wrong with the positioning/attachment of the black tank and I am afraid I will drag it off or something like that.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-16 11:36 AM (#74550 - in reply to #74548)

Elite Veteran

Your concern over dragging the tank off might be a deciding factor.  If you are going to have a second LQ trailer anyway, I would think it would be nice to have a trailer that wouldn't have the ground clearance issues of holding tanks and dump valve hardware.  But having done the porta potty thing before I got a full LQ trailer, for long term use I'd much rather have a fixed toilet w/ a holding tank than deal with the relatively small holding tank that comes with a porta potty. 
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-16 3:49 PM (#74567 - in reply to #74489)

Charter Member

We won't be staying in the trailer any longer than 4 days at the VERY most. I'm very OCD about cleaning and stuff so it will be maintained more than just regularly.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-16 4:31 PM (#74568 - in reply to #74489)

Expert

You can install a complete weekend LQ in your 4' short wall trailer including a separate bathroom and shower. It will be expensive and time consuming. With an additional larger trailer with a full LQ, do you think it would be necessary to have two similarly equipped trailers? Will you still have as much use of this trailer after you get the new LQ trailer?

On some trailers that are only constructed strong enough for a dressing room, the floor joists are shorter in height than the heavier construction of a LQ trailer. The spacing's are also different. This may make it difficult to tuck the gray and black water tanks completely inside the structure. There are different sizes available, and with a measuring tape, you can determine what size your trailer can accommodate. You will also know if they will protrude lower than your frame work.

BOL  Gard

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-17 5:00 PM (#74646 - in reply to #74568)

Charter Member

Originally written by gard on 2008-01-16 4:31 PM

You can install a complete weekend LQ in your 4' short wall trailer including a separate bathroom and shower. It will be expensive and time consuming. With an additional larger trailer with a full LQ, do you think it would be necessary to have two similarly equipped trailers? Will you still have as much use of this trailer after you get the new LQ trailer?

On some trailers that are only constructed strong enough for a dressing room, the floor joists are shorter in height than the heavier construction of a LQ trailer. The spacing's are also different. This may make it difficult to tuck the gray and black water tanks completely inside the structure. There are different sizes available, and with a measuring tape, you can determine what size your trailer can accommodate. You will also know if they will protrude lower than your frame work.

BOL  Gard

I have decided against the "built in" toilet. There isn't a lot of space under the trailer for the tanks and it just isn't worth the hassle.

We will continue to have a lot of use for this little trailer even after we purchase a larger one. My mom actually purchased this trailer for her own use. She trail rides, but she only goes RARELY (once or twice a year are her plans, but she hasn't gone in several years). Right now she spends her time raising foals for me to break/train and use on barrels. Since she doesn't plan to go much, she's basically given me the trailer (she bought it in JUNE and still has NOT even had a GN hitch installed in her truck). She's paying for most of the conversion as well. I planned on getting a new one THIS year, but we decided to purchase a tractor instead. No point in having a nice trailer to haul horses with if I can't maintain my arena ground often enough to keep my horses conditioned and tuned up.

At this time, if she needs her trailer, I still have my old Logan Coach 4H I can use....just can't stay in it. Apparently, the year it was manufactured (we bought it used) someone in the design process had a brain fart. The front "panel" of the roof is some kind of plexi/plastic something. It has dry rotted or something and separated from where it was attached to the metal remainder of the roof. We tried sealants and stuff, but nothing really worked so there's a leaky space in the dressing room. Its over where a bed would be, but I just keep that area empty anyhow. Only problem with it is that I keep TONS of tack in that part of that trailer and the moisture builds up so a lot of my silver snaps, buckles, conchos, etc all turn green. YUCK!!!!!

Truthfully, I planned on purchasing one in 2007, but Hubby decided he needed a new Harley instead. At first I was sad, but I quickly got over it when I got to purchase another (awesome) horse out of the deal (and out of the kindness, I named my horse after his Harley....Deuce).

Also, for the time being, this trailer will be VERY used (basically EVERY weekend until the new one is purchased). I'm sure the floor should be good enough to withhold what we are planning to put in it (shower, cabinets, sink, microwave, fridge and the holding tank). It's a 2007 Elite.

Once the new one is bought, this one will be used for local travelling (jackpots that are nearby, vet trips, trips over to clients' homes - I give lessons, etc). The new trailer will not only have a larger LQ, but it will be a 4-5H and hopefully with a midtack. This one is WAY more convenient to manuever locally. LOL!!!!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-17 8:18 PM (#74662 - in reply to #74489)

Expert

We have three trailers and one of these...    http://www.campingsurvival.com/porselcamtoi.html   that we move from trailer to trailer, it works for me.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-01-18 5:10 AM (#74676 - in reply to #74489)

Elite Veteran

I use one and it has lasted up to a week with just 2 of us...The one I have is a bigger version and is very easy to dump. But my next trailer will have a built in one for sure........
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)