'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cedar Lake in Oklahoma

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-12 10:31 PM
10 replies, 6516 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-05 5:22 PM (#73817)
Subject: Cedar Lake in Oklahoma

Okay, I've looked but not found any discussion in recent posts about Cedar Lake. If you want a great experience, beautiful country, low valleys or high vistas, go to Cedar Lake! It's located in the far SE corner of Ok in the Ouachita National Forest. You can ride through valleys near creeks, or climb to vistas located on the Talimena Drive. It is run by the National Forest Service, which means you can make reservations through their website. The campsite is immaculate - all paved roads, gravel camp spots, electric and water (some don't but it's listed on the website), corrals, and bath houses. There are some first-come sites, so if you want, you can just show up and pick a spot, plus there's a big primitive camping area with a bath house. The trails are well-marked with maps available. The volunteer group Friends of Cedar Lake, which was established last year with the cooperation of the rangers and riders, is working to clear or move over eroded trails, and design a more detailed map guide. This is one of the best camping areas of it's kind - you won't be dissappointed!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-05 6:14 PM (#73819 - in reply to #73817)
Subject: RE: Cedar Lake in Oklahoma

Elite Veteran

We camped there several times 4 years ago.... before they had the pens. We are going back this year and will be very happy not to have to picket.

The trails are marked well, but extremely rocky. And not the little type rock, some of the rocks are as big as bowling balls. The wildlife is incredible there. We saw several golden eagles, numerous hawks, and cute red squirrels. A critter I had never seen before was the wolf spider. I wacked one while cooking on the grill and was shocked at all the babies that ran off. That was a new one for me and I felt bad that I killed their momma! Won't whack anymore spiders down there... but always look under the covers to make sure one hasn't come inside.  And we also saw a unique centipede on the trail that was about 8 inches long and black with orange legs.

Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-07 9:22 AM (#73916 - in reply to #73817)

Yes, you are correct - they are rocky. But that is the normal terrain of that area. However, we are working hard to clear the eroded trails of the huge rocks. Of course, we just can't get it all done in one year. There were so many visitors the first ten years, that the trails took a terrible turn for the worse. And with no local club to help maintain the trails, plus the government cutbacks on the number of rangers employed (they have ONE guy who's in charge of ALL the trail maintanence - including hiking trails) it was hard to keep up. I think you'll notice some improvements. This February (in 3 weeks) we're having our second work weekend, and already have many commited to showing up. As with all volunteer groups, it takes a few years to get the word out. I hope you will return soon!

Teri Wyatt

Friends of Cedar Lake

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-08 12:10 PM (#74011 - in reply to #73817)

Expert

The terrain is typical of the mountains that give character and interest to the ride, rocks and all.  Love the mountains!  Love the clear rock creeks!  Love the rocks too! 

foxy54748
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-02-10 7:07 AM (#76513 - in reply to #73817)

Hi - My husband and I are planning to ride at Cedar Lake area in May and I'm looking for a little more information.  This is will be a new place for us and we are extremely excited.  We live in central Wisconsin - it's -15 this morning with a wind chill of up to -45. 

My questions:  can someone tell me a little more about the campground at Cedar Lake - I have a map of the campground and am wondering if there are sites with shade?  Is there a nearby vet or is there information posted somewhere if one needs to find a vet?  Is there a place to purchase hay (in case we run out)? And finally - where can we purchase a map ahead of time - I have the Winding Stair Equestrian Trails map printed from the forest service website, but am wondering if there is something better? Oh yes one more....  we are planning our trip for mid-May is it best to make reservations? thanks for your help.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-10 10:08 AM (#76526 - in reply to #73817)

Elite Veteran

Most of the spots at cedar lake are well shaded with very nice trailer pads so you will not have to work to hard to level out your trailer.

We had a mare colic down there once and used a vet out of Mountain View. There are vets listed on the main board by the restroom and I would suggest writing the numbers down in the day light. Make sure to bring a calling card. Most cell phones don't work since the campground sits in a little valley. There is a pay phone there to use.

We always reserve a spot before going there since it is a 6 hour drive for us.

Only maps I have seen is from the Forest service. You can call ahead and have them send you some info. The trails are well marked and follow the map very well.

I was wondering if the ice storm in December 2007 has caused a lot of tree damage? We were there in May 2003 and there was significant tree limbs falling caused from an ice storm that had happened earlier in the winter. Had one crack and fall right between me and my husband; and of course we were on trail 9 where it has a sharp drop off. Good ol'horses just scooted forward!

I've started using yellowpages.com to look up vets in the area where I will be traveling to see if they are familiar with equine and if they have emergency hours and will come to the campground where I will be staying.

You will love it there. The campground is one of best in the mid-west. We never had to purchase hay, so can't help you there.

Edited by ponytammy 2008-02-10 10:12 AM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-10 4:35 PM (#76554 - in reply to #73817)

Foxy....the campground host at Cedar Creek was the most knowlegable and nicest ones I have met.....should be able to help you if you run short of hay...also you might do a search for "trail hankies"  I got one at Cedar Creek.....it is a bandana with the trail map on it....and really does not fade in the washer.....
oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-17 12:57 PM (#77056 - in reply to #73817)

Regular

I was just there last weekend for the work weekend. The trails were in very good condition - at least the one we rode on (3). A lot of work was done on top of Blue Mountain and also on trail 4. I am not sure about buying hay - you might ask the camp host. There was hay on the highways but all I saw were round bales. There is a feed store in Heavener and they might sell hay. Cedar Lake is a very popular destination for people across the US, Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma. I would definitely recommend getting reservations. The sites are shady and several pull throughs are also available. The bathhouse was spotless! The trails are well marked (we put up additional markers) and were very beautiful. Yes, you are riding through clear rock creeks. Your horses should be shod or use boots unless they are conditioned for barefoot and very rocky terrain. I have Al-Tell and never lost reception which was a good thing since my truck broke down right outside of the camp road on my way home and US Rider came to my rescue (along with some of my friends!)
Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-02-23 11:06 AM (#77730 - in reply to #73817)

Okay, I'm the one who started this, so I should have come back to answer questions - sorry! But obviously, many of you have been there and did a great job on answering! The other girl from Edmond, Ok is a good friend of mine, and she too gave great answers!

There are two feed stores in Heavener, which is about a 20 min. drive from camp, and all good highway. Not like trying to make it back down to Pecos from Jack's Creek! They always have hay. And yes, the campsites are mostly shaded with lob lolly pines and decidious trees. The entire campground is paved - really. Only the camper pads and campsites are gravel, and if you get there early enough, you can actually ask the host to move to a "first come first serve" site, where some are concrete - the entire pad and pull-through, awning area and picnic table. Quite nice on those rainy days. And always come prepared for rain - that's why it's a forest.

There is a bulletin board with information for vets and farriers, but it needs to be updated. My suggestion is to get the camp host (Olin) his phone number, so if you ever have a problem, even getting lost, you can reach him. The ranger station is also helpful - log in their numbers on your cell phone. And yes, Alltel works out there. I can even check my email on my laptop with my cellphone service!

Reservations are encouraged, by using the Recreation.gov website. There are over 40 electric spots, but they go fast.

If you visit and you like catfish, you need to go to the Hontubby Cafe' on Friday nights - all you can can eat, and it's delicious! You also get pan-fried potatoes, brown beans, and hushpuppies. It's located on the same road as the Peter Conser house in Hodgens, you simply turn EAST instead of west off highway 59. It's about 5 miles off the highway, so don't get scared. If you like breakfast but don't like to cook it, there's great food at the Choctaw gas station on the north side of Heavener. And dirt cheap - about $3. I heard that the little store right outside of camp has been sold and expected to reopen soon, but not sure how long it will take. Until then, you have to get your ice at Hodgen (closer) or Heavener (a little farther).

If you decide to come, let me know. I can either try to meet you, or at least put you with someone who is familiar with the trails, if you like. I do ride gaited though. I hope to see you there!

foxy54748
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-04-12 10:42 AM (#81740 - in reply to #73817)

Thanks to all for the wonderful information.We have our reservations for May 17-May 22 and are in Campsite E2 - probably the only rig from Wisconsin.
We also ride gaited, although our horses will most likely not be conditioned, because I'm sitting here in central WI today with a high of 32 and snow. So with only a few weeks to condition and on weekends only (because of that darned job) I'm sure we won't be in tiptop shape.
Looking forward to meeting some of the local riders and sharing the trails!
oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-04-12 10:31 PM (#81783 - in reply to #73817)

Regular

You'll have a great time. Just take it easy on the trails and you guys will be fine. I'll be back there the first week of May.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)