'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What are my options?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-17 3:43 PM
10 replies, 4243 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Herbie
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-13 3:45 PM (#67827)
Subject: What are my options?

I am ready to trade trailers, only problem is, every trailer I call about is on consignment at a dealership and they can not or will not trade.  Is my only option to sell my trailer straight out and then buy a new trailer?  I can't afford two trailer notes at once, so purchasing the trailer I want then selling min is out of the question.  Are there any other options?  I would think the dealership would be able to buy the trailer on consignment and then work a trade if they wanted to and knew I was serious.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-13 3:51 PM (#67828 - in reply to #67827)
Subject: RE: What are my options?

You will probably do better selling your trailer outright;  a dealer has to factor in that she/he may be holding the trade in trailer for some time before it sells.  Also you might want to see if you are upside down on your trailer;  that is, it isn't worth quite as much as the balance on your loan.  Anyway, good luck on your trailer shopping.
Herbie
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-13 4:15 PM (#67831 - in reply to #67827)

I'm not upside down at all on my trailer.  It is an 03 keifer with a small LQ package and is almost paid off.  I'm going to take some good pics this weekend and offer it for sale.  I really like this trailer, so i'm just hoping that one of the trailers I have found is still available when mine sells.  There are some options I will be very picky about.
Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-09-13 9:39 PM (#67846 - in reply to #67827)

If it were me I would just try to sell the trailer out right..  You should get more for it..  I just picked up a different trailer about 2 months ago..  Sold my other one first..  But before I sold it the best offer on trade was 11k..  I sold it outright for 12k..   Probably could have gotten more but I wanted it gone pretty bad..  Probably would have taken the 11 for it if that dealer would have had something i liked..   Anyhow though you'll get more money selling it outright..  Look on here to see what they are going for.. Price it a little high cause you can always come down.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-09-13 10:23 PM (#67848 - in reply to #67827)

Expert

I went through this last spring. Decided to buy a new trailer, But refused to trade in or buy a new one until my past trailer was sold.

I put the trailer on this site and on the local TV stations website. The local TV station offers a website that has all their news, programing etc.  But it also has a free classified. It cost nothing to list an item and I got more calls from local interested parties than I did off the otehr national website. It took 5 weeks to sell, but I finally got it sold at the price I was asking for it.  Could have sold it a few weeks earlier if I had been willing to take a low ball offer.

I had picked out several trailers I was interested in buying, and being it was spring, I watched as most of them got sold while I waited for my trailer to sell. It's frustrating, but patience paid off, trailer sold and I found what I was looking for.

Look to see if your local TV, Radio or Newspaper offer a free classified website.

Herbie
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-14 11:24 AM (#67862 - in reply to #67827)

Thanks, good idea on the local TV station.  I will look into that.  It is getting acid washed today, is in great shape and i'm not planning on asking too much for it, so hopefully it will sell pretty quickly. 

I appreciate everyone's advise!

laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-09-14 11:52 AM (#67865 - in reply to #67827)

Veteran

Also be sure to check any local internet providers bulletin boards.  We have one in SW Wisconsin that sells things very quickly (www.mwt.net)

Good luck - you'll probably be surprised at how fast it sells.  Trailer prices have gone up over the last few years and I have little doubt that we could sell our 4H LQ Genesis for about what we paid for it - they've gone up over 5K new...

LAXPatrick

equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-09-15 12:48 AM (#67909 - in reply to #67827)

Regular

Might check with your banker about a 90 or 180 day loan to buy the next trailer. Then as soon as you sell your current trailer, pay off the loan or pay it down and put the balance on an installment loan.

Do you have a credit card that is offering a really low rate or even zero percent for a while. Use that. I just bought a new tractor with my MC for zero percent until 08/08. But then I sold my old tractor and put all of that on the MC. Went to the bank then and took out an installment loan to pay off remaining MC. Why not keep it no interest until 08/08. two reasons: 1) some say that large credit card balances reduce your credit score but bank loans don't (as much) and 2) if you are late with a credit card payment the interest rate will skyrocket.

Edited by equiteacher 2007-09-15 12:51 AM
Mom4Melia
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-09-15 10:43 AM (#67925 - in reply to #67827)

Regular

You would probably do better to sell it yourself. You will be able to get more money that is for sure.

In my experience, when I was looking for a used trailer, as soon as I called on an ad it was sold. I finally sucked it up and bought a new one.

So maybe your trailer will sell real quickly and you can use that for the down on your next trailer.

Good luck!

Herbie
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-17 1:16 PM (#68030 - in reply to #67827)

Thanks everyone for all your input and help.  I have my trailer listed on this site now, so hopefully it won't take long to sell. 

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-17 3:43 PM (#68042 - in reply to #67827)

Elite Veteran

I sold mine off a photo ad I placed at a local feed store and had quite a few calls from it.  Also got good response from this site and flahorse.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)