'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wanting info on riding your own stock in Grand Canyon

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-20 12:51 PM
10 replies, 8066 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2011-01-18 4:44 PM (#129017)
Subject: Wanting info on riding your own stock in Grand Canyon

Regular

I posted this quite some time back.  But we are getting pretty serious about it now.  Atleast my husband is.  So has anyone on here ridden their own animal down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon? If so any information on where we can camp up on top with livestock and best time of year to do this.  thank you all.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2011-01-25 10:31 PM (#129281 - in reply to #129017)
Subject: RE: Wanting info on riding your own stock in Grand Canyon

Extreme Veteran

There was quite a discussion on this issue some time back on this forum.  If you do a search for Grand Canyon you should be able to locate the thread.

Marla

Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2011-02-03 7:18 PM (#129756 - in reply to #129281)

Regular

What I have been able to find out, is there is a place to camp on top.  Primitive ofcoarse, I think it has a pit toilet, and corrals and water for horses.  Near the trail that goes down into the canyon on the North Rim.  And there are a couple of trails up on top,  Since I dont' think I'm riding down. I'll just ride up top.  So just in case anyone else was interested, if you email the park, they will give you the number to contact the person that tells you where you can camp.    Just FYI.
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2011-02-07 10:19 AM (#129867 - in reply to #129756)

Regular

More info on G Canyon, N Rim.  You cannot ride to the bottom of canyon,(on your own mules) so we are told.  You ride 2 hours down, and then turn around and come back up.  So we are scratching this trip, long way to haul for not much riding.  So if we see G Canyon, guess it will be a trip without mules.  
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-07 2:28 PM (#129881 - in reply to #129017)

Expert

I have never ridden the North Rim. But I understand it offers a wonder area to ride.

The XP Endurance ride is held there each October. They ride 5 days of 50 miles each day for a 250 mile total. So there has gotta be a reasonble amount trails on the rim for that much of an endurance ride.  The endurance ride doesn't go down into the canyon at. It is held strictly on the rim

Below is a link from a competitor to her blog about the ride, Some photos of what she saw during the week long race.

http://enduranceridestuff.com/blog/2010/10/grand-canyon-xp-ride-photos/

ottomcnab
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2011-02-07 2:29 PM (#129882 - in reply to #129017)

We rode the grand canyon a few years ago and as I remember you cannot ride your own livestock into the canyon. Although, we camped on the north rim in the Kaibab national forest for several days and rode excellent trails right along the rim of the canyon, beautiful trials well maintained with unforgettable views. Our trailer was right on the edge and opened our door every morning to a view few ever see. Camping is primitive with no amenities. Ran a high line for the horses and did not see another human our entire stay. Keep in mind that the north rim is a high plateau with no streams or water of any kind, all water, (horse and human) must be carried in. Nearest horse water was 30 miles round trip down bumpy dirt roads-food about 50 miles. We will remember that trip forever as one of our greatest adventures traveling with our horses, well worth the difficulties.
TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2011-02-08 5:08 AM (#129910 - in reply to #129017)

Regular

That sounds lovely. I'll have to add it to our very long list of future destinations. It would be amazing to ride down into the canyon, but I'm sure you still get plenty of beautiful views from the rim. Now to find the time to sneak away for that long... ;)
Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2011-02-24 9:46 PM (#130760 - in reply to #129017)

Veteran

We rode the park mules down last Nov.  The 2nd night that we were there 3 guys rode their own horses down.

They said it took 2 years to get the okay. The rangers were all saying how cool it was that someone had come down on their own horses as no one ever camps in the livestock area.  Apparently if the camping area is full it shows up on the back country permit records that the livestock area is full.

They said that you have to go through the back country permit office and get a permit.  The trick is to call, call and call. I would ask the Back Country office if there is horse camping on top -otherwise I think you have to spend the 1st night outside the park. Maybe Williams or the little town at the intersection of 180 and 64 would work?

carl opitz
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-04-19 7:06 PM (#133205 - in reply to #130760)

New User

Look at there web page Grand canyon Park. There are two camp sites for horses in one of the campgrounds.
Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2011-04-20 8:59 AM (#133238 - in reply to #129017)

Veteran

Carol - could you copy and paste the direct link to the web site that you found with the maps of the campgrounds?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-20 12:51 PM (#133249 - in reply to #129017)

Expert

I didn't see anything about Camp grounds that allowed horses.  Most of the formal campgrounds are managed for RV and Tent campers and most of those folks don't want to be kick road apples out of their camp area.

I know most of the camping I've done around Bryce, Zions and Capital Reef are all dispearsed camping outside the national parks.  From the Grand Canyon website.

"Dispersed Camping: Camping "at-large" is permitted in the national forest outside the park. Camping must be at least .25 mile / .4 km away from Highway 64. Other restrictions may apply"

Dispersed Camping meaning that you just pull off the road out into the trees, No formal campsite, no restrooms or water hook ups.  This is the common type of camping that I do all the time. It's about the only kind of camping where I can take my horses.  There are very few formal managed campsites that are set up for horses.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)