'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Iron Mountain Horse Camp in Va.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-10 6:31 PM
10 replies, 9203 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-07-05 1:21 PM (#86894)
Subject: Iron Mountain Horse Camp in Va.

Veteran

Trip planned to Iron Mtn. Horse Camp in Southwest Va. the end of the month....how did you like it?(Trails, camp, etc.) I've been to High Country and Hungry Horse East and liked both of them. The riding is really nice in this part of Virginia. Just want a little feedback from anyone who has been in the last year.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-07-07 12:00 PM (#86990 - in reply to #86894)
Subject: RE: Iron Mountain Horse Camp in Va.

Veteran

We go thre several times a year. It is beautiful, the campground is  immaculate, the barn stalls clean and the entire area well kept. Shelia is a wonderful hostess. They have a well stocked tack shop, plenty hot water for the showers and shavings for the stalls. The trails are nice and there are maps that are easy to read. You would have to stay for a week to ride all the trails.  it is one of our favorite places to ride. Also, the New River Trial head is  short drive from the camp. Have you looked at the website(www.ironmountainhorsecamp.com) it is truly as beautiful as it looks.
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-07-07 7:15 PM (#87018 - in reply to #86894)

Veteran

Thank you! Yes, have looked a website and have actually been there...we rode to it (by car) when we stayed at Hungry Horse East. ..to check it out. My horses go barefoot, but we use Easy Boots when needed. Does it have sufficent water? I guess in this drought we have been having around the Southeast, I like to be sure there is water on the trails. The mountains have gotten alot more than we have in the Piedmont of S.C., so maybe alot better up there. Hungry Horse is about 6-7 miles from Iron Mtn. on the same road.You should try it ...Thanks again..Happy trails!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-07 8:06 PM (#87025 - in reply to #86894)

Expert

Just got back from the IM area.  We got several heavy rain storms over the 7/4 week-end.  The trails were a bit slippery Sunday and the streams were flowing.
Toranoda
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-07-13 7:36 AM (#87368 - in reply to #86894)

Friends from SC & I camp at Iron Mtn for a week every summer. I live just 25 miles from it. Sheila is just great as are all the employees. They alway check on you to make sure everything is okay at your camp site. Some of the trails are extreme and some are easy, you just have to remember you are in the mountains and yes there is watering spots on the trails. You will also need shoes or somekind of hoof protection because the trails are rocky. All in all it is one of the best places I have every been. Have already planned next June's trip. Camping sites and barns are clean with full hookups or you can go primative. We have made a lot friendships there and hope to continue for many years to come.
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-08-08 5:11 AM (#89258 - in reply to #87368)

Veteran

Back from Iron Mtn. and I can't wait to get back this fall!!!! We had a great time and just love Danny, Sheila, Linda, her Danny, David, Susan and everyone else there!!People were coming in from Vermont and Indiana! Great riding and great camping. What can I say....ask Sheila about 'ole Willie (the donkey)...my gelding is STILL in therapy! (Ha...funny incident!) Ya'll should go...you'll love it.
MtnMax
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-08 10:52 PM (#89346 - in reply to #86894)

New User

Is that the donk who lives just a short way up Arrowhead? We've been riding that area for 7+ years and LOVE it. Before diesel prices went thru the roof, we would trailer down all the time for day rides and we usually spend a week of vacation camping during the summer (just there in July). That donk up the road I call the "attack donkey"! He was so sweet looking as he came over to the fence line, then he put it in high gear, braying at the top of his lungs and gave my gelding a heart attack...LOL! I don't know what he was saying, but my gelding has never gotten over it. He's not too trusting of "livestock" anymore. Have you seen the little black goat tied near the trailer up Snowbird? Watch out!
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-08-10 9:37 AM (#89420 - in reply to #86894)

Veteran

MtnMax.......yep....that would be ole' Willi all right!! We "met" hime at the fence one ride going up Arrowhead to do Sawmill and he did the same thing to us! He busted out the next night (someone left his gate open) and came tearing up to camp and straight up to our horses who were grazing by us.....chased them up to Sheila's house and bit my gelding on the nose in the process!! He thought my horse was a "she" and you can guess the rest!! It was wild..funny now,though! Haven't encountered the goat yet...maybe next trip!
DuallyNewt
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2008-08-10 2:45 PM (#89426 - in reply to #86894)

DuallyNewt
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2008-08-10 2:46 PM (#89427 - in reply to #86894)

Gal,

How was East Fork???

Thanks, Newt

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-08-10 6:31 PM (#89434 - in reply to #89427)

Veteran

Awsome,D-newt! We spent a week there and rode almost every trail!! Stayed away from the River Ride...EVERYONE we asked said it might be a bit much...tedious and extreme in parts. Since we had such wonderful rides each day, we decided not to push our luck or our horses'! Sure was a long pull...8 hrs. I would probably go back, though...The Virginia camps are a good bit closer for me and I really do love them. Is it not FALL yet???!!!! My favorite time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)