'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse camping with tents

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-18 8:45 PM
10 replies, 9384 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-11-13 12:59 PM (#71078)
Subject: Horse camping with tents

Regular

I was wondering how many of you horse camp and use tents instead of a trailer with weekend quarters.  What do you do to make it a more comfortable experience? What items do you bring that are a necessity? Do you sleep on cots or just the ground? How big of a tent would you suggest for two people to be comfortable?

I took a few weekend camping trips with my horse this summer and I slept in the dressing room of my bumper pull. It worked out ok, but there is only enough room for one person and next year my husband said he would like to go, so instead of buying another trailer, I thought we would just tent it, so any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Forty
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-11-13 3:12 PM (#71095 - in reply to #71078)
Subject: RE: Horse camping with tents

A friend of mine camps in a tent. They use an air mattress with sleeping bags. In cool weather, they sleep on an electric blanket, and if it gets very cold, they sleep between electric blankets. Of course, you need to cmap in a campground with electricity.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-11-13 3:16 PM (#71097 - in reply to #71078)

Extreme Veteran

We tent camped with our horses for many years.  If you use an air mattress, be sure to use more than just a sheet between you and the mattress as the air can get cold.  We bought a queen size air mattress with a frame from Wal-mart that we really liked.  My husband has bronchitis and being up off the ground was a plus.  We put flannel sheets and heavy wool blanket on the air mattress and that helped with the cold air.  You can buy battery operated fans to help with the stuffy warm air during summer months.  Coleman has some great stuff--just watch their prices you may find similar items without the Coleman name that are most price friendly.

Happy Trails!

JacciB

osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 6:15 PM (#71116 - in reply to #71078)

My wife and I have since we got togther 7 years ago. We also will sleep in the back of the truck on an air mattress too. Once we even slept in the horse trailer in hammocks.
On pack trips, we use a two man tent, but usually sleep under the stars and store our junk in the tent. I don't think there's anything better than laying in the grass, listening to a small stream and to the horses munch.

I need more therapy!!!! Too bad winter is here.

BTW: I ment to say that we usually sleep on our saddlepads and rainjackets to get us off the ground in stead of bringing anymore stuff than we have to.

Edited by osue077 2007-11-13 6:38 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-13 7:03 PM (#71120 - in reply to #71078)

Expert

Beore kids we used to go out for a few days at a time with the horses.  We would pack the horses with all our stuff and go out to the "remote" camp areas at Bandara state park.  The park rangers thought we were nuts but we loved it. 
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-14 7:27 AM (#71154 - in reply to #71078)

Extreme Veteran

The latest issue of Trail Blazer Magazine had a great article on setting up the back of your horse trailer for camping. Sort of like tent camping but sleeping in the back of your trailer. I had a friend who did this for an extended horse showing trip and it worked very well for her. I think she camped that way for about 2 weeks. You can really get creative with it.

Have fun and happy trails,

Tammy

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-11-14 2:28 PM (#71188 - in reply to #71078)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with the above posts about the air mattresses and keeping warm. I camped for a whole month at a clinic once and Fr-r-r-r-r-r-oze on my air mattress. Also, you need to make sure you get no leaks. It's a pain in the ___ to wake up on a hard surface when you're used to a bed!

I've seen some pretty clever set-ups in the back of trailers. Most people start by sweeping out the poop (duh), then attaching tarps up the trailer sides and over the floor. After that, you can add "wall hangings"(usually towels with a horsey motif), plastic Sterilite cabinets, mirrors, etc. Your imagination is the limit here.

Good luck! I still occasionally sleep in my tent, and the most important part to get right is the mattress. Don't skimp on it, or your back will get grumpy!!!
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-14 3:47 PM (#71195 - in reply to #71188)

Veteran

If you are serious about camping and want something that is comfortable for.. ahem, older adults, I suggest you look at a small wall tent like you would see an outfitter use. Then look at a nice cot with or without a good camp pad (not a air mattress). These tents are a little more expensive, but you can stand up in them, they are free standing and you can purchase one large enough to set up a small table and a couple chairs etc. Sincee you have plenty of space to pack equipment and weight is not a problem. These tents give you major options like a stove, floor or not, windows, awnings, etc etc. If your on a budget, check out some of the larger tents at cabelas. They have a good selection.
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-14 4:02 PM (#71200 - in reply to #71078)

We don't have LQ in our horse trailer either and we frequently find places to horse camp that have cabin or lodge accommodations along with horse stalls or pens. We also tent camp if we find a place to ride and there are no accommodations. Our "must haves" for camping are: air mattress, sleeping bags, flashlight, firewood, lantern, deep woods off or other bug repellant and knife (to cut tent open in case of emergency). Happy Trails!
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-11-14 8:16 PM (#71222 - in reply to #71200)

Regular

Thank you all for the great advise. I'm going to see if I can get ahold of the Trailblazer magazine and get some ideas. I will also check out the outfitter websites. Thanks again and keep the good ideas coming.
okeydar
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-11-18 8:45 PM (#71450 - in reply to #71078)

Like many others, I have camped in a one person pup tent on up to a motor home. When I camp in my horse trailer, I clean out the back and I have a piece of indoor carpet I put down. Then a cot and sleeping bag. Depending on your trailer and if you are alone or two, you can put up a small table with an lantern on it and squeeze in a porta potty. I went over to Ark with it and was just fine. It rained and I was dry. ALso you can stand up in it and have more room than a tent. The floor doesn't get wet either. My trailer has slats on both sides and my hubby made "slide in" covers out of plywood for me. I did have electric over there and a small heater so I was warm and toasty in the early spring. Have fun inventing!!!

By the way, I just got my new Trail Blazer and there was an article in it about trailer camping. It's a great magazine!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)