'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Slowing down my LQ downhill!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-06 1:51 PM
10 replies, 4769 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-10-07 1:58 PM (#68941)
Subject: Slowing down my LQ downhill!

Veteran

Need some help here....I'm heading back to Va. to camp this coming weekend and last trip had a really nervous ride DOWN a pretty steep grade in Fancy Gap, Va. My LQ is a 10'3-H slant and I pull with my '99 350 Ford Dually.(My shifter has a button on it that lets you put it in OD and take it out.) What other things can I do to slow down the rig?? Should I start down in gear 1,2, out of OD ?(which I do) I have a Voyager braking system that I probably need to just re-set because it felt WAY too tight...but I sure don't want to go through that again this trip. Please give some helpful tips from your experience ( can't run out and buy a diesel decellerator brake system to the tune of $1200 at this time!!) Thanks guys!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-10-07 2:58 PM (#68943 - in reply to #68941)
Subject: RE: Slowing down my LQ downhill!

Expert

Hey, I have the same setup, and same issues.  Have had my brake pads replaced with premium brake pads, new brake lines in front (they are lined with rubber which had collapsed) and installed a prodigy brake control .  Next week a Scorpion diesel engine brake (electronic, uses the EBPV) with torque lock, will let you know how it does.  $400, instead of $1300+.  Whole rig, wet weight, 2 mules, is just under 22000 lbs.  I feel that even though I have it out of overdrive, brakes well adjusted on both trailer axles, geared down etc, that I would like more of  a margin of safety on long severe curvy grades.  Not to mention the descent on Loveland Pass CO I will be going down in a coupla weeks....with 2 saddle mules and a pack mule..and hopefully some elk and deer meat! Before I have smoking brakes all around again I will put it in 4WD low range......I ain't kiddin neither....

Edited by flyinghfarm 2007-10-07 3:00 PM
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-10-07 7:56 PM (#68953 - in reply to #68943)

Veteran

flyinfarm.......so you feel my pain, eh?!!!Tell you what.....I've pulled alot, but that wasn't the way I intended it to be!! Am going to my Ford folks and do some talking and will run your set- up by them. It 's very possible I'll do better when I re-adjust those brakes (trailer), but even dropping down into a lower gear sure made it whine! Good luck and take care on your Colorado trip!Let us know how it goes with your brake upgrades.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-10-07 8:44 PM (#68959 - in reply to #68941)

Expert

An Engine Brake will save you alot of money in the long run...a complete brake job all around can approach $2500...

plus its helps keep your pucker factor in check...

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-10-08 8:44 AM (#68990 - in reply to #68941)

Expert

Yes, Paul, there are little bite marks in the seat of the dually!  And we were not in a hurry... to begin with!

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-10-08 11:42 AM (#68993 - in reply to #68941)

Extreme Veteran

Just went through this a couple of weeks ago on a road trip myself.  Best thing you can do is slow down. Best advice I was given and get on the brakes to knock off speed and get off.  Don't ride them at all. Better to arive in one piece but it may take a little longer.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-10-08 12:41 PM (#68996 - in reply to #68941)

Expert

Did that.  Was at a crawl at the beginning, already knowing the downward incline that was coming.  Very curvy anyway, no place to go over 25 mph due to the curves, if it was on flat land.  Can't get much slower.  ON, off brakes, etc.  Just that the down slope was steep, long, and no level or let up from top to bottom.  Rigs catch on fire every year on this slope from hot brakes, wheels, and tires.  Glad we did not suffer that, at least.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-11-05 10:05 AM (#70504 - in reply to #68941)
Subject: REPORT on slowing down with engine brake...

Expert

Okay, now, I am happy.

Installed an engine brake for $400. 

Went over the continental divide at Loveland pass in Colorado, 10' LQ, 3 head in trailer, fully loaded, (23000 lbs) riding and hunting and camping gear, extra fuel and propane.  As we got to the  top and came out the tunnel, turned on the engine brake, had overdrive turned off, put it in second gear at the top of the descent, puttered 12 miles down a 6 to 7 degree grade.  When it would get to 40 mph, eased down on the brake pedal to 35.  With the engine brake engaged (smooth, too) it would take forever to build up any speed to 40 mph.  Worked, smooth, quiet, perfect.  In the 12 miles downhill, lbs, put my foot on the brake 4 times for less than 2 seconds each time.  I more or less coasted down that very severe downhill.   I have got downhill issues whipped like a yard dog!

Scorpion Diesel engine brake with TC lock, all electronic, plug and go, less than an hour to install with ordinary hand tools.  (Had the mechanic do it, it was his first of that type) Works fabulous, and I had my doubts....very happy with it!

element
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-11-05 11:17 AM (#70507 - in reply to #68941)

Veteran

Don't want to sound (not in the know) but what is and how does an engine brake work? Thanks4 16
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-11-05 12:29 PM (#70512 - in reply to #68941)

Expert

This is what I got, with the Torque Converter lock option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-2003-Ford-PowerStroke-7-3-L-Exhaust-Brake_W0QQitemZ160070184852QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It works very well, after it is installed, and turned on, it begins holding the truck back after you let off the gas for a second or so.  It will continue to hold the truck back and slow it down by itself as long as you are not on the accelerator.  If you apply your brakes to decelerate it will really help keep it slowed down to the speed you just braked to.  It is all electronic and plugs into the wire harness around the exhaust back pressure sensor that is located at the engine.  It also ties into the accelerator activation wire to let it know to not be on when you have your foot on the accelerator, and there is a link to the torque converter to lock it up so that there is more power and the tranny runs cooler (that is for automatic trannys).  I am not a mechanic, and it did sound too good to be true, but since it had a generous return policy I purchased it and had it installed about 2 days before the Colorado hunting trip.  I figured if it worked half as well as they said .... well, anything would be a help.  So I was doubtful, but it worked better than I had hoped for.  I don't know the folks, but they have good feedback...... they answer emails faster than phone calls, but it sure helped us out a whole bunch. We couldn't shell out 1500 for an exhaust brake (Jake brake, PAC brake etc) so gave this a try and are really glad we did... 

Toranoda
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-06 1:51 PM (#70564 - in reply to #68941)

I live right where you are talking about & it is one wicked place.  There have been many trucks blown over from the wind coming up the mountain.  You may want to take exit 100 on to hwy. 89 in to Galax to bypass this section of the I-77.  You only have 1 mountain to pull with 1 elbow curve but the pull is not bad at all more a steady pull & going down is a whole lot better too.  Just gear down & go slow.  Have friends that come up one week during every summer to go camping up here & they much prefer this way.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)