'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Diesel fuel

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-09 8:19 PM
10 replies, 4303 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-01-05 9:03 AM (#53327)
Subject: Diesel fuel

Regular

I can't believe you guys are evening discussing the old sulfer fuel vs the new Ultra Low Sulfer Fuel issue. We are all running the ULSD now. It will be very difficult to even find the Low Sulfer diesel at a pump. Every station dispensing fuel HAS to be selling it. So unless they offer two diesel fuel types, they are now selling the ULSD. I don't any stations that put in a new tank to dispense a second diesel fuel type that will be totally gone by 2010.

Every station DOES NOT HAVE to be selling it.  I am in Louisiana and we see both kinds down here. La law says they must label pumps if it is ULSD to warn of possible engine harm but as long as lsd is available a smaller independent station owner can purchase.  Family works at Motiva and Texaco which supplies diesel and there is no plans to quit making LSD.
It is my understanding that you will always be able to find the low sulphur 500ppm at truck stops because I was told the big rigs cannot use the ULSD. I have a 1996 chevy and a 2002 ford and will continue to run the 500ppm because that is what my engine is adjusted to. I also dont want to spend money adding additives for lubrication(which is what the sulphur is for) that I feel should be in the fuel anyway. I feel that would be like getting food at a restaurant but having to buy the silverware to eat it with. Ridiculous...
Anyway I am also understanding that if you do not add lubriction additives to the ULSD that your seals and gaskets will fail over time in the older vehicles. I think it is all a ploy to make everyone get rid of the older vehicles.
Report to moderator
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
freightdog7
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-05 11:39 AM (#53335 - in reply to #53327)
Subject: RE: Diesel fuel

This chart shows the implementation

Effective Dates for Highway ULSD Fuel

Who
What U.S. California
Refiners &
Importers
Import/produce at least 80% ULSD for on highway use 6/01/06 
Import/produce at least 100% ULSD for on highway use 6/01/106/01/06
Downstream from
Refineries through
Fuel Terminals
Facilities that choose to carry ULSD must meet 15 ppm
sulfur specification
9/01/06 
All highway diesel must be ULSD10/01/107/15/06
Retail Outlets Facilities that choose to carry ULSD must meet
15 ppm sulfur specification
10/15/06 
All highway diesel must be ULSD 12/01/109/01/06

Although ULSD fuel will be the dominant highway diesel fuel produced, EPA does not require service stations and truck stops to sell ULSD fuel. Therefore, it is possible that ULSD fuel might not be available initially at every service station or truck stop and that a diesel retailer may choose to sell Low Sulfur Diesel fuel instead of ULSD fuel. The industries involved in the transition are doing all they can to minimize potential inconveniences during the conversion to the new diesel fuel.

Personally, I hope that red diesel (off road diesel) is always around...my trucks, tractor and boiler run just fine on it.

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-05 1:20 PM (#53343 - in reply to #53327)

Extreme Veteran

You run your trucks on red fuel?  Better hope you don't get caught on the road with it in your tank.  Some pretty hefty fines for that. 
freightdog7
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-05 1:43 PM (#53345 - in reply to #53343)

Ooops did I say that?

I meant my tractor...

we live on the Rez so...

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-01-05 10:05 PM (#53373 - in reply to #53327)

Extreme Veteran

Jeffrey,

What you using the boiler for?

freightdog7
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-06 9:23 AM (#53392 - in reply to #53373)

Heating the house and it has a coil system that heats hot water...put it in about 21 years ago and it is nice constant heat...ofcourse that is back when fuel oil (diesel) was really really cheap but no one wanted a boiler because they wanted forced air for the combined A/C package.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-01-06 12:11 PM (#53408 - in reply to #53327)

Extreme Veteran

I haven't seen any fuel stations with low sulfur, only the new ultra low sulfer in the Chicago area. Perhaps some of the commercial fuel stations still have the low sulfer, but everywhere else seems to have gone ultra low. It does seem my fuel economy isn't quite the same as it was, but as long as my truck keeps running I'm not going to worry about it too much. Just wish the diesel prices would drop to where they should be instead of the continual price gouging
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-06 4:23 PM (#53421 - in reply to #53408)

Expert

Its not price gouging thats making diesel higher its the new EPA standards. That ultra low fuel is costly to refine. remember, diesel was so cheap becuase it was the by product of gasoline refining. But now, diesel refining costs are alot higher. So until there is some sort of change in either EPA standards or a big big drop in demand, get used to it.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-01-06 4:55 PM (#53423 - in reply to #53327)

Our bulk distributor (Chevron) has only been able to supply the ULSD since last fall. They say they cannot afford to handle both. They add something to help lubrication and also help knock out the additional water they say is in the ULSD. It adds about 2 cents/gal. Since we started burning the ULSD, we have seen about an 8-10% increase in fuel consumption in the tractors and dozers. I only notice a small increase in the trucks, but I don't keep good mileage records. We do have to drain the water separating filters more often, and we have been changing fuel filters more often also, but no other problems with seals, injector pumps, etc. yet. We are a long way from nowhere, so our options on suppliers are limited. Just for what it is worth.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-01-06 7:23 PM (#53427 - in reply to #53423)

Expert

I talked to a neighbor who is the president of an major oil pipeline.  He said his company spent over 300 million converting their refineries to ULSD. This did not increase their production capacity one gallon. Only meet the new EPA requirements. They also spent another $165 million converting their asphalt refinery to a diesel fuel refinery to increase production capacity.

They expect diesel prices to remain high into the summer of 2007 as a way for companies to recoup their expenditures. He said, Not only their company but every refinery in the West converted their asphalt plants to diesel. ( all asphalt is now shipped into the Western United States and our asphalt prices have skyrocketed) Along with the reconstruction of the refineries near New Orleans being rebuilt and coming back online will increase production.. The industry is forecasting a surplus in diesel capacity by summer and that should help to reduce prices.

I hope his analyst are rights, I could stand to see fuel prices drop. It's hard to pay more for diesel than I do for Premium gasoline

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-09 8:19 PM (#53627 - in reply to #53327)

Extreme Veteran

I sure hope that the analysts are correct. Like Painted, we pay entirely too much of a premium for diesel in the midwest. And I'm sure it's worse in the west.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)