'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Found a trailer--would you meet a dealer 1/2 way, drive the entire way, or have it shipped?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-28 10:22 AM
10 replies, 4477 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sswdrff
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-24 8:07 PM (#51866)
Subject: Found a trailer--would you meet a dealer 1/2 way, drive the entire way, or have it shipped?

Hi again.

My drawn out question is in the subject of this post.

I've found a Silverlite dealer 368 miles away. He will meet me half way. Or I could drive the entire trip. Or I could hire someone to drive it to me [but I don't know who].

I haven't pulled anything in 20 years. And I'd be driving on the turnpike.

But I trust my truck. And I checked out the dealer through Silverlite.

Suggestions? I've seem a trailer shipper on ebay. Was it DAS?

Thanks again!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-24 8:33 PM (#51868 - in reply to #51866)
Subject: RE: Found a trailer--would you meet a dealer 1/2 way, drive the entire way, or have it shipped?

Expert

Most trailer dealers can arrange shipping for you. Just ask. Then again, if you can meet them half-way, you can save on the costs. hauling empty isn't that hard. At least your not worrying about horses in the trailer to boot.
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-11-24 11:00 PM (#51878 - in reply to #51866)
Subject: RE: Found a trailer--would you meet a dealer 1/2 way, drive the entire way, or have it shipped?

Veteran

WEll, to save $$, I found the trailer I wanted new, and drove 1800 miles to pick it up! Yes, I am crazy, but I got to pull my first ever GN LQ empty for 1800 miles to get used to it!

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-11-25 7:55 AM (#51881 - in reply to #51866)

Elite Veteran

By all means, go pick it up. This is your last chance for a good look over & to correct anything you see. They can also check it all out on your truck. If you meet them at a rest area, you're on your own.
H1
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-11-25 8:51 AM (#51882 - in reply to #51866)

Expert

It really depends on how much time you have and whether you like to travel.

You may save enough, you may not to justify the trip.

So it's just a matter of if you enjoy driving and have time to go.

With winter coming, Do you want or enjoy driving with a trailer this time of year.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-11-25 9:00 AM (#51883 - in reply to #51866)

Expert

Originally written by sswdrff on 2006-11-24 7:07 PM

Hi again. My drawn out question is in the subject of this post. I've found a Silverlite dealer 368 miles away. He will meet me half way. Or I could drive the entire trip. Or I could hire someone to drive it to me [but I don't know who]. I haven't pulled anything in 20 years. And I'd be driving on the turnpike. But I trust my truck. And I checked out the dealer through Silverlite. Suggestions? I've seem a trailer shipper on ebay. Was it DAS? Thanks again!

A few points... Turnpike driving is the easiest and best route to getting comfortable with the rig.  Stay in the slow lane, maintain speed and distance from the car in front...  Neither vary speed or change lanes until you're confident and sure of the vehicle.  Winter driving on the Turnpike is also good since the roads will be kept clear and sanded.

BEFORE you leave home, to meet the trailer half way.  Be very sure your electrical connection is compatible. You might have to pull a strange trailer without brakes or lights.  A bad way to start...   Exchange E-mail pictures of the connector and wiring diagrams to be sure.  Otherwise, be able to change connectors and wiring at the pick-up point.

Edited by hosspuller 2006-11-25 9:03 AM
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-11-25 12:28 PM (#51887 - in reply to #51866)

Veteran

Make the trip to check it out thoroughly before you buy or have it deliverred. If it is a bumper pull -make sure you have the correct ball size. I just picked up mine and didn't know until the day before it took a 2 5/16 ball v. 2 inch. When I got there to pick it up I was able to look it over and the guy was able to fix an electrical shortcoming on my truck which affected the lights on the trailer. If I had met him half way or something would have had to drive home with no lights! Worth the trip. Good Luck
sswdrff
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-25 1:56 PM (#51890 - in reply to #51866)

Thank you to all of you.

You've all made useful comments and given me a lot to consider.

And on Monday I'll decide what to do.

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-11-26 9:35 AM (#51911 - in reply to #51866)

Extreme Veteran

Go pick it up.  It will be worth it.  Personal inspection on the new trailer is a good thing.  Make sure you climb up on a ladder and look at the roof.  Make sure vents are where they are supposed to be, etc.  Trust me I know from personnel experience. Look for any signs of water leaks.  Pulling it home is the easy part. Have anything fixed on the trailer that you need.  It will be expensive to bring it back if you have warranty issues that need to be corrected.  Try to catch them all before you leave.

Oh yeah, if you are buying the trailer out of state that dealer will not be responsible for paying your taxes.  YOU WILL. You will have to know your tax rate (7%, 5%,etc.) so be prepared to pay the taxes on it when you apply for the tag.

Edited by Spooler 2006-11-26 9:39 AM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-26 1:25 PM (#51918 - in reply to #51866)

Expert

3 yrs ago, I bought a trailer online from a dealer. They sent me pictures. i asked questions. They would haul it free from SD to MI. I didn't inspect it. I was assured everything worked and it was in great shape. So I bought it. They hauled it which saved me the time and money to get it here. It was exactly what I hoped for and then some. I also had all winter/spring to drive it around. Never regretted it.

MARIE
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-28 10:22 AM (#51997 - in reply to #51866)

New User

I am with a transportation comapny named D&S we deliver trailers from dealers all over the US and Canada our drivers think of the trailers as their own they look at them and if they see something that you had not told them about they will bring it to your attention before they even leave the dealer any good company has to or they are just no good

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)