'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer cameras

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-17 6:28 PM
10 replies, 4043 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-05-31 6:06 AM (#25864)
Subject: Trailer cameras

Extreme Veteran

Well - I have a friend that I've sent a lot of business to and he has told me we wants to buy me a camera system for my trailer, he has one and loves it. His system however - is running off monitors and such he already owned, and it is a wired system - so I have a few questions about what will and will not work. I'd rather have a wireless system if I can.

I've found one system made for trailers - however it is priced 4 times the price of a similar system designed for home use and actually doesn't seem as good. So I'm wondering if the home system will work. Basically the home system is a wireless camera and a 5" monitor and receiver. The sales man (I know I know - that's why I'm asking here  LOL ) said it would work, the only problem is that it runs of 120 - not that big of a deal though - a simple inverter will fix that and the trailer is going to be wired up for the LQ anyway.

So has anyone used one of these wireless video security system in their trailer? Does/will it work?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-31 7:58 AM (#25873 - in reply to #25864)
Subject: Trailer cameras

Regular

I was thinking of a camera system also....Check out ebay..they have some systems that seem to be not bad a price....( and there are often wireless systems being auctioned)A lot of people use them on the back of their RV...specifically for backing up observation! I mentioned it to a friend who hauls horses frequently...as a business.He said that most of the time he is too busy watching the traffic to be bothered with another distraction .I think that they would be good if parked in traffic, but the best thing is just to stop every few hours and do a horse check anyway....It will be interesting to hear other's thoughts on this topic...ps..perhaps good if you have a travelling companion who can watch the monitor but I always haul by myself so I agree that stopping is the best/easiest/cheapest thing to do.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-05-31 8:11 AM (#25875 - in reply to #25864)
Subject: RE: Trailer cameras

Extreme Veteran

Yeah I'm usually with a traveling companion - so that's not a problem. Also this unit has sound - so if you hear a ruckus you can then check the monitor. I've recently moved from a small 2 horse and mid SUV to a 3H w/6ft dress and a 3/4 ton truck - with the 2 horse i felt every movement so you knew what was going on back there - but you just can't with the bigger trailer. Sure if something big was going on you'd feel it - but I'd feel better knowing what going on back there.... my filly tends to get herself in trouble pretty easily too.

As for price - Canadian Tire (I see you are in Kingston) has a sale on this week for the system for $159.... you just need the inverter then for power and away you go.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-31 8:49 AM (#25877 - in reply to #25864)

Expert

I've thought about it a couple of times, even priced out all the components at radio shack. Right now my thoughts are;

The packages are unreasonably priced and probably not what I want/need anyway, I would want 2 cameras for the 4 horse trailer and btw a back-up camera might be a good idea, so I'd want a 3 way mux of some sort.

"Adapt" the laptop for a second video input so I can continue to run the GPS nav system at the same time and NOT have to deal with another screen in the truck.

Use back-up cameras; they're cheap, weatherproof, 12 volt, and I don't need color.

I already have a small inverter to make 110 VAC in the cab for the laptop, it is noisy (fan) and I'd like to get away from the need for it. I think its worth the effort and (some) money to get everything on 12 volts.

If I get back to figuring out the 2, 3, 4 images at once (or cycled) on the laptop I might still do it. For now I think I'm sensitive enough to what goes on back there and if anything BAD is happening I'll have to stop to put it right anyway.

Though for $159 or so... maybe.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-05-31 9:26 AM (#25881 - in reply to #25864)

Extreme Veteran

The knowledgeable sales person I was talking to was at Radio Shack - I was just price checking at CT when I found the sale - the radio shack unit (which was exactly the same) was $250. And the unit I was looking at can be set up for up to 4 cameras, is black and white and design for low light conditions - so perfect for the trailer really - as long as the wireless works at 100km/h through aluminum... I didn't check how that works on the monitor (scrolling) though. In my travels I've also seen a few that would work with a laptop. My trailer is only a 3 H and my dividers are "flow through" so you can see through them, so one smartly placed camera would be perfect for my set up.

So the back up camera's - how do they work? how much?---- I'll have to do some more surfing - I never though of that, I guess they wouldn't have sound though would they? hummmm......

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-31 9:54 AM (#25883 - in reply to #25881)

Expert

Originally written by MBRA518 on 2005-05-31 9:26 AM

The knowledgeable sales person I was talking to was at Radio Shack - I was just price checking at CT when I found the sale - the radio shack unit (which was exactly the same) was $250. And the unit I was looking at can be set up for up to 4 cameras, is black and white and design for low light conditions - so perfect for the trailer really - as long as the wireless works at 100km/h through aluminum... I didn't check how that works on the monitor (scrolling) though. In my travels I've also seen a few that would work with a laptop. My trailer is only a 3 H and my dividers are "flow through" so you can see through them, so one smartly placed camera would be perfect for my set up.

So the back up camera's - how do they work? how much?---- I'll have to do some more surfing - I never though of that, I guess they wouldn't have sound though would they? hummmm......

"Through aluminum" might be a problem, I'd consider an external anten,, even if it is just a short length of wire hanging out. At 100 KmPH your truck won't outrun the radio signal from the trailer (think "speed of light", 186,000 miles a second or so). I agree, one camera in a slant load, probably high in the front right corner should cover all their heads.

I could probably mux my laptop in as the 3rd or 4th "camera" using it's external monitor output, then I could close the lid and tuck it away.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-05-31 10:37 AM (#25885 - in reply to #25864)

Extreme Veteran

It just occured to me that my trailer's roof is fiberglass.... so that will likely help the signal issue - I think I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-31 10:53 AM (#25886 - in reply to #25885)

Expert

Originally written by MBRA518 on 2005-05-31 10:37 AM

It just occured to me that my trailer's roof is fiberglass.... so that will likely help the signal issue - I think I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Well, it will be a few feet from the front of the horse compartment to the front of the trailer, so the angle from the camera's transmitter to the top front edge of your trailer's front aluminum skin will be shallow, only slightly "down hill". I'm wondering if it will get a straight enough shot into the truck's cab. I hope so, but that LQ space could get in the way.
TXAggie
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-25 1:02 PM (#35968 - in reply to #25864)

I've been looking into getting a wireless camera system for my new trailer, also.  I came across this site and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or similar products.

http://www.nvproducts.com/index.html

I'd like to set up one camera inside the trailer to look back at the horses and have another camera outside as a backup camera (and help see traffic behind me for lane changes). 

At the recent World Horse Expo in Maryland, there was a company selling a similar system for barns or trailers in the $599 range with a 5" color lcd monitor & a small color indoor camera with mounts and extra antenna.  She also pointed out that it's a good idea to get a b&w backup camera as they give a better quality picture in darkness, compared to a color camera.

MBRA518 or equigal; what did you finally get and are you satisfied with it?

Anyone else have ideas/likes/dislikes towards other dealers/manufacturers, equipment options, lessons learned, war stories, etc?

Thanks, Steve

lostinohio
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-08 10:57 PM (#36777 - in reply to #25864)

Hi,

We have a camera mounted in our 3-horse slant load bumper pull for 2 years now and love it. First off, there are two types of cameras. The cheaper ones are CMOS(bought one from RadioShack) and will do the job, but picture is grainy,less resolution and not very good at night vision. Our second camera is of the CCD type(bought new Sony 1/3", b/w,on eBay for $80.00) and offers clear picture, and excellent night vision with it's included infrared led's. Our camera is mounted on the right-rear-ceiling level and can see all three horses in their stalls clearly, even at night. The camera has a 3.6mm(focal length) lens which is perfect for a field of view which sees all three stalls(a larger focal length will narrow your field of view).Black and white cameras wil have more lines of resolution(sharper image) than a color camera. For a monitor, we picked up a 5.6" LCD(portable/car) again on eBay for $50.00. Camera and monitor both run on 12 volts D.C. This system is hardwired via RCA cord to truck. I feel that wireless systems will pick up to much interference from various sources not to mention aluminum skin of trailer. Total investment of about $150.00 gives peace of mind of checking with a glance if horses are ok after hard bump,hard braking--from being cutoff,etc. This system is much cheaper than some of the 3-5 hundred dollar systems I have seen.

AkTomboysAppys
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-17 6:28 PM (#40581 - in reply to #25864)

Regular

I just purchased and installed a camera system on my trailer. I went to Radio Shack and got a home wireless system for $90.00. I also purchased a converter for the cig lighter to use with the TV part so I dont have to have alot of batts. The rear camera I simply mounted on a piece of wood with L brackets and 2 holes on either side of the camera for zip ties to secure it. This makes it super steady and easy to replace the camera batts. Also the model I got has night and sound along with the reg. views. It works great on my crew cab dually and 20ft gooseneck.

PS I forgot to mention I have had no problems with problems from my trailers skin to anything we have driven by.

Edited by AkTomboysAppys 2006-04-17 6:38 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)