'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Put a downpayment on an '04 F250 6.0 diesel, now panicking...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-25 7:53 PM
10 replies, 5189 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rriddick
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-04-24 6:15 PM (#133415)
Subject: Put a downpayment on an '04 F250 6.0 diesel, now panicking...

I'm feeling like a real moron right now, so please be gentle with me....Long story short, I'm looking for a 3/4 ton truck to pull a 2 horse BP on a major budget. I thought I wanted a diesel but failed to educate myself well enough before going shopping. i found a 2004 6.0 super duty that had everything I want and the right price, so I put $500 down on it and planned to pick it up this week. I got home, started researching, and realized I may have made a terrible mistake. I'm planning on getting an independent mechanic to look at it tomorrow now that I know about all the potential problems with the 6.0 but the seller has already cashed my check and I don't think I'll be seeing my money again if I back out. Could really use some advice about whether I'm panicking for no reason or if I should just walk away from this engine and let it be a hard lesson in stupidity. I did get an oasis report run and it had 5 warranty claims from Ford. Thanks in advance guys...so stressed about this.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-04-24 6:28 PM (#133416 - in reply to #133415)
Subject: RE: Put a downpayment on an '04 F250 6.0 diesel, now panicking...

Expert

If the truck was sold as if from a private party then might have had a $500 lesson. If you back out,the seller might not give you the money back....or they may. Just ask. Unless the down payment was made with a conditional clause-the truck passes a inspection...you just bought a truck.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-24 7:59 PM (#133427 - in reply to #133415)

Expert

Have your mechanic look at it.  A 2004 truck is 7 years old and subject to the same wear and tear as any other 7 year old truck,,   shocks, Ball Joints, brakes, water pump etc.

The  6.0L has a few special issue, but if it has been running good for the previous owner, it will probably run good for you.  If it has been chipped or programed, There is always the possiblity of stretched head studs.  Other common problems can be the injectors, FCIM, EGR and EGR cooler.  All can be fixed and the truck can be an excellent vehicle.

There are lots of folks on the diesel forums with 6.0L with several hundred thousand miles on them and still running strong.

If your mechanic suggest there might be some serious problems, Walking away from the $500 will be good decision. Or the mechanic report may give you the ammo to get the seller to reduce his price.  Good luck

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2011-04-24 8:01 PM (#133428 - in reply to #133415)

Elite Veteran

Don't get excited! While there have been complaints about that engine, there are actually many more positive ones. Not all the engines are problems. I personally have an 05 and am very happy with it. Do some more research on this forum and also on the Ford diesel forum. By all means get your mechanic to check it out. Have your local Ford dealer pull an Oasis report and do a carfax. Have as much knowledge and facts as you can, then make a decision. If there is a problem with the truck, you can go armed to the seller and also have evidence for court. But like I said, don't get excited. You may have a very good truck.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-04-24 8:06 PM (#133430 - in reply to #133415)

Elite Veteran

I wouldn't panic just yet. If the 6.0 is stock and has not been modified with a chip etc, you should be fine. Most issues I have heard about occured after people chipped the truck. How many miles is on it? 5 Warranty claims for a 04 sounds low to me. I believe you can take it to a Ford dealer and ask for an OASIS report that will tell you about the warranty work (hubby told me this for you).

We have had minor warranty work done to our 1 ton dually 2006 6.0 diesel and it has been a great truck so far and is our only towing vehicle for the large LQ trailer and all the farm towing for hay, hauling tractor etc.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-04-24 10:47 PM (#133439 - in reply to #133415)

Expert

Originally written by Rriddick on 2011-04-24 6:15 PM

I'm feeling like a real moron right now, so please be gentle with me....Long story short, I'm looking for a 3/4 ton truck to pull a 2 horse BP on a major budget. I thought I wanted a diesel but failed to educate myself well enough before going shopping. i found a 2004 6.0 super duty that had everything I want and the right price, so I put $500 down on it and planned to pick it up this week. I got home, started researching, and realized I may have made a terrible mistake. I'm planning on getting an independent mechanic to look at it tomorrow now that I know about all the potential problems with the 6.0 but the seller has already cashed my check and I don't think I'll be seeing my money again if I back out. Could really use some advice about whether I'm panicking for no reason or if I should just walk away from this engine and let it be a hard lesson in stupidity. I did get an oasis report run and it had 5 warranty claims from Ford. Thanks in advance guys...so stressed about this.

First off unless you have an agreement pending the truck being checked out, if you back out on buying it you lost $500.00 no question about it....

Someone posted "Have your local Ford dealer pull an Oasis report and do a carfax".  Which is fine an dandy for major history and how man time it was in the shop, but it will not help you with the service history (if a non dealer did the work) and sure will not tell you how the owner took care of the truck.

If you was around North Texas I would go check it out for you.  Or PM me and I will send you my phone number and I can tell you what to check and how to check it out a little better.  They are not near as bad as most people put them off to be....I think you are just panicking for no reason.

Does it show what the 5 claims are on the oasis report.  These could be little things like reflash the FICM, egr valve, a door rattle or even the power peddal needing adjustments. 

Rriddick
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-04-25 5:26 AM (#133443 - in reply to #133415)

Hi all, thanks so much for the replies. As for the oasis report, it had the following repairs/comments: rough idle EEC diagnosis, fuel injector control module wiring harness control repair, exhaust pressure sensor replacement, sticking egr valve or gasket replace, performed tab 7 14 05 2.0 hours found water in egr, replaced fuel injectors 2 4 6 & 8 and replaced leaking dgas bottle. This means very little to me, just know I never had anything like this repair list in my old 1/2 ton gasser. Other info, this truck has 150k miles, looks in very good shape physically, had an accident early in it's life but does not show any detectable signs of body damage or tire wear. It has a clean title. It was used as a fleet/lease at some point but has had 3 owners. It has a hitch in the bed but it looks barely used to me. It was originally from Texas but I am in Maryland. Does this info change anyone's thoughts about it?
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-25 6:04 AM (#133444 - in reply to #133415)

Extreme Veteran

Here's another 6.0 owner, and I love mine. We ride with another couples that has a 6.0 and love their's as well--an 04 and my 06.

The repairs that were listed in the Oasis are pretty common repairs, to be honest. If they were all fixed and not giving anymore issues, it should be a good truck. I would say the injectors were replaced because of the Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) wiring harness issue. These trucks are notorious for having a crappy EGR system, so to have that fixed is common as well. Mine was deleted.

As long as the headgaskets aren't blown, most of the problem causing components of the 6.0 (EGR cooler, oil cooler, FICM) can be fixed or deleted for under $1500 if you can do the work yourself.

I apologize if you answered this, but is it a private party sale? If you know who the last owner of it was, you may be able to talk to them about the truck. Some of the "problem causers" may be fixed already....

Don't stress out. There are a lot of good running 6.0's out there on the road. If this truck is in stock form, no evidence of being tuned or modified, it should serve you well. Unfortunately, the internet is a good place to find out about all the problems. Forums also have a great sampling of "hyper-tuned" trucks, adolescent-esque 'competition', and big modifications. This is where the problems really begin.

Nobody complains when their truck runs like a champ.
ace_014
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2011-04-25 7:30 AM (#133449 - in reply to #133415)

Regular

I have an 03 f 250 with 6.0 and have been pleased with it's performance and reliability. I did have to replace the high pressure oil pump last year but no other problems

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-04-25 5:02 PM (#133505 - in reply to #133415)

Expert

If the price is right I would still buy it.  Out of the things you listed for warranty work, most are pretty much one in the same.  The injectors FICM wiring and rough idle all could have been just one of the items causing the problem but warranty does not pay very well for a wiring harness, but will pay good for the injecotors.  The Dgas bottle is very common and could have been broke while working on the injectors.

The accident report could be something as simple as a bumper or windshield cracked. And this truck showing 3 owners, since you said it was in Texas and now nother state I would say it had just 2 owners. 

Anytime you transfer a title to another state Carfax/Autocheck records another owner.  ie: If I was to move from Texas to Ohio with the truck that I bought new in 08 as soon as I transfer it to Ohio and get an Ohio title and tags it wll record another owner even though I still own it.

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2011-04-25 7:53 PM (#133520 - in reply to #133415)

Elite Veteran

I have a 06 F250 6.0 and I have had only one 2 issues with it and it was from the same problem just never threw a code the first time.It was the FCIM.It is still under warranty and other than that I have had no other issues. I was like you. I never read up on it until I bought it. It has 80k on it. I keep maintenance up on it as far as oil and filter changes and it's been a great truck..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)