'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
GPS systems?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-08 4:11 PM
10 replies, 5709 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-01-27 6:16 AM (#98296)
Subject: GPS systems?

Elite Veteran

Hi all,

I know there was a thread not too long ago about GPS systems.. I've reread it, but desire more opinions/information.  I'm planning to ride Fort Stanton this summer or fall and it's a long ways from home for me.  It will be the furthest I've gone to trail ride, especially going by myself. I'm a little nervous about being that far from home in such a large area without some sort of navigation device for the trails. I have a navigation system in my car, but it is integrated, not removeable. I have printed out the trail maps of the area, but would like a little extra oomph (plus the fact that I like gadgets doesn't hurt either!) Painted Horse and Cowpony, I know you both ride way out in the big spaces, do either of you use a GPS? If so, what kind(s)? What do you like or dislike about it? Any body else have an opinion/personal experience to share?  I've read all of the Cabelas reviews on the models I've researched and the opinions are widely variable, to say the least. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-01-27 6:46 AM (#98299 - in reply to #98296)
Subject: RE: GPS systems?

Extreme Veteran

Here in New England the mountains along the Appalachian trail and in NY the Adirondack Mountains can also be very confusing.  We have GPS'sd for many years.  I swear by the Garmin Etrex CX.  I use the US 2009 topo map and have been very satisfied.  I wrap the teather around my saddle horn and clip it to my pommel bag for quick reviews.  Easily transfers to your laptop for review and storage.

Check out a few of our trails that we uploaded GPS tracks for.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=63167

soundhorse
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2009-01-27 7:39 AM (#98302 - in reply to #98296)

Regular

I have used the Garmin 60CSX and the 76CSX and have been satisfied with the performance they have provided. the Garmin Etrex CX is a great unit but has now been discontinued.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-01-27 10:15 AM (#98314 - in reply to #98302)

Elite Veteran

that's pretty cool! How do you measure your mileage? Is there a feature that tells you how far you've been?
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-01-27 12:29 PM (#98328 - in reply to #98296)

Extreme Veteran

Bummer I didn't realize the Etrex Vista Cx was discontinued.

Looks like it was upgraded to the Etrex vista HCx.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8703

YES you can track anything you want. Time, Speed, Avg Speed, Miles, Stopped vs. moving. Sunrise and sunset and much more. I tend to keep it simple. I like to know my distance, avg speed and moving time. I use it to get back to where I started from occasionally.

Because they display maps and trails it is handy to find water and get your bearings.

People say "Yeah we went 20 miles" Well the GPS doesn't lie you will know how far you went :)

paintpaddy
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2009-01-27 8:50 PM (#98365 - in reply to #98296)

I have a Garmin Bluetooth GPS receiver that is about the size of a box of TicTacs. I carry it in my shirt pocket and bluetooth it to my smartphone. Beforehand, I download area Delorme Topo maps from my notebook. Provides everything I need while carrying only one device: cell phone, GPS, email, internet, MP3 player, the works......

Current phone is a Samsung Saga, previous was a Treo 700W, been doing this for 3-4 years, wouldn't switch for anything else, right now.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-01-29 7:47 AM (#98435 - in reply to #98296)

Expert

We use a Garmin 76CS, keeps up with all the data,  user friendly, and tough.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-01-30 5:24 AM (#98509 - in reply to #98296)

Elite Veteran

Does your 76 cs have mapping capabilities?  I want something that will tell me how far I've traveled, at what elevations, and give me an visual overview of my exact "trail" covered. Plus, tell me where the nearest water is, and what's around the bend.. I looked at the 76 csx tonight on cabelas website.. Even went so far as to print out the comparison chart. but still a little fuzzy on their capabilities.. I ride a lot in an area that has the same basic base camp, but probably 30+ miles of interconnected trails. Would each one be a route, or would you link them all together to form one big route? I've never had a GPS before, except the one that is on my phone, which is pretty fair foe average use, but not accurate enough, I think, to depend on for camping.  My phone DOES have the ability to connect to a GPS receiver, but I don't know enough about it and again, I'm not trusting the accuracy. Cabelas has a Delorme (sp?) GPS that looks like the cat's meow.. It is pretty spendy, but has a lot of downloadable maps included, which makes it comparable to other brands when you factor in the purchase of their downloadable  or SD-card detailed maps , which, from what I'm reading are pretty neccessary.. I've read all of the reviews available.. Bushnell also has a couple of models of the orix.. spendy also, with mixed reviews..

sorry! Looks like I repeated some of my questions.. I guess it's too early in the morning for me!! i clicked on the etrex vista link provided above..sounds nice..cabelas didn't have it in it's comparison chart or offered for sale, so i can't read any reviews on it.. The garmin colorado series are spendy but nice also..

Edited by ridingarocky 2009-01-30 5:39 AM
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-01-30 8:33 AM (#98519 - in reply to #98328)

Extreme Veteran

RE:

Bummer I didn't realize the Etrex Vista Cx was discontinued.

Looks like it was upgraded to the Etrex vista HCx.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8703

Don't be disappointed! The H in the HCX stands for high sensitivity and really improves the product. I hav the Vista HCX and I have been very happy with its performance. I haven't loaded tracks onto my computer yet but plan to try that soon. I just haven't found the time....I use my GPS on just about every ride to keep track of my mileage. A very handy product. This model has performed well in the heavily forested areas and vallys as well.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-01-30 9:56 AM (#98526 - in reply to #98296)

Expert

Yes, the 76 has mapping ablities, you can save each ride as a route, or a series of rides as one.  The overview is nice, you can connect it to your PC to save data or import data from mapping programs.  It easily keeps track of how far you have traveled, all that sort of data. We use it when we haul out west and hunt ,  totally unfamiliar territory etc.  I must say the mule knows the way back to camp, too!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-08 4:11 PM (#99037 - in reply to #98296)

Expert

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=209&pID=8576

This is the one I've been looking at.   It's made for dogs, but I don't see why it wouldnt work for horses in areas where they could dissapear.  I would imagine that the people who have been thrown and lost their horses in the wilderness would have liked to have one.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)