'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll Great Smokey Mountain Trails

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-19 7:54 AM
10 replies, 4832 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Diamond Cut Cowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-10-20 11:53 AM (#93274)
Subject: Great Smokey Mountain Trails

Hey,

can anyone provide good camp grounds to stay at that have trails going from them to the park?
I am trying to plan a trip for the next year and wanted to find a good campground with great trails to ride.I ran across Orchard coves Stables and it looks pretty good. any thoughts from anyone?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
oldguide
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-10-20 1:02 PM (#93278 - in reply to #93274)
Subject: RE: Great Smokey Mountain Trails

Orchard Cove is the best camp ground to meet the requirements you described.  You have direct access to the park, they provide trailers if you want to haul and it is a brand new facility.  I also provide guide and pack service for customers out of this camp ground.  Call Mrs. Webb and tell her Harvey sent you!
Diamond Cut Cowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-10-20 1:14 PM (#93279 - in reply to #93274)

Thanks! I thought I was on the right track. We love to ride 6-7 hours a day and try to not to over lap most of what we ride. Is this possible there?
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-10-20 5:48 PM (#93301 - in reply to #93279)

Extreme Veteran

Oh yea,  but you may have to trailer a day or two. It is beautiful riding though I was up there last weekend.
KyQHRider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-10-21 7:09 AM (#93327 - in reply to #93274)

Went to the Smokey's last year and it was some of the best riding you will find.  We have a 4 horse LQ trailer but from all the advice that I received from this forum decided to take the 2 horse and get a cabin so that we could trailer to different trail heads and ride more areas.  I was glad that we did because you would have not gotten a large rig into some of the trail heads and I loved not being restricted to riding from just one location.  Planning on going back next year and will do the same.  Friends of mine have been there many times and have told me about some other trail heads to ride from that offer some beautiful riding that I can't wait to see!  If you decide to camp I do recommend renting a trailer from your host and going to other trail heads, its worth it.
Diamond Cut Cowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-10-21 12:43 PM (#93352 - in reply to #93274)

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE ON THE TRAILER CHOICE. CAN YOU TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE OTHER TRAIL HEADS TO CHECK OUT? ARE THEY FAR FROM ORCHARD COVE?
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-10-29 8:40 PM (#93908 - in reply to #93352)

Extreme Veteran

You can make Rich mountain loop, be sure to go to Spence Field, I like the loop from Abrams falls Ranger station it is pretty long though23-24 miles There is another one one the left as you go into the cove but I can't remember the name . There is no shortage of places to ride there
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-10-30 6:54 AM (#93937 - in reply to #93274)

Extreme Veteran

We stayed with Mrs. Webb 3 yrs ago when she first opened and loved it!!  She has direct access from the rear of the camp that goes up the hill to the Schoolhouse Gap trailhead ( you do have to ride up the hill along a gravel road about 10 minutes or so to get to the trail head, but easy to get to).  I believe Turkeypen Ridge is off of that trail.  We rode Schoolhouse Gap out until we got to the road crossing going into Cades Cove; we chose not to cross the busy road since the kids were riding with us.  We also trailered over to the Cove and rode the Anthony Creek trail and it was beautiful.  The only downfall to riding out of the Cove trails is the traffic; October is a very busy month and the park wants you to walk you horse to the trailheads.  It wasn't bad though, and the views were definately worth it.  There a tons of trails so get the map; it is very informative and really helps to plan your rides.  We took a 39 ft trailer into Orchard Cove and didn't have any issues.  Just don't miss the drive as there is no where to turn around.  Mrs. Webb stayed on the phone with us until we got turned into her place.  Have a great trip!!
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2008-11-06 1:46 AM (#94365 - in reply to #93274)

Extreme Veteran

If you like the Big South Fork area, about an hour and half north of Knoxville you got to check out Loree Guest Ranch. We stayed there over the weekend (didn't have my horse) and the place is wonderful. You can ride right into the park from her place, or trailer about 15 mins to Bandy Creek. She has a great barn,and guest house is gorgeous.

Faye is a great host, and her place is fantastic.

http://www.loreeguestranch.com/

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-11-18 5:34 PM (#95086 - in reply to #93908)

Extreme Veteran

I remember  the other trail now it was Tremont.
Diamond Cut Cowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-11-19 7:54 AM (#95100 - in reply to #93274)

Thanks to everyone for your reply. It sounds like Orchard Cove is the place to go...Hopefully the economy will be good and all of us will be able to go ride places we have never been before!
Happy Trails to all of you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)